ENT application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smokey64

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When's the best time to complete and send off one's ENT application? Is it really detrimental to wait until mid to late August to send it off?

Members don't see this ad.

Last year the suggested deadline was August 15 so mid to late August should be fine. Only a couple of programs (Rochester is the one that comes to mind) have very early deadlines (August 31). Check the deadlines of the programs you want to apply to first. Remember that it takes about 2 weeks for SFmatch to process your application and send it off to the programs. Good luck with the 2005 ENT match!

I think it is to your best advantage to get your application in as early as possible. It got quite a bit more competitive this year than in previous years so I think if you can get the application in during late July, early August you'll be at least that much ahead of the pack. On the other hand, it may not make much a difference at all. One thing that was widely noted among other applicants/friends was the apparent randomness of the interview process. It was pretty random. Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
The Oto interview process is always a crapshoot. It usually is somewhat regional; you can bet that you are more likely to get an interview in a program that is located close to your med school. Beyond that or doing an away rotation, just send in the app and pray that you get the interviews you want.

TheThroat said:
The Oto interview process is always a crapshoot. It usually is somewhat regional; you can bet that you are more likely to get an interview in a program that is located close to your med school. Beyond that or doing an away rotation, just send in the app and pray that you get the interviews you want.

Given that I have heard this same sentiment from many other people and that most interview invitations are given out by the end of September, I was wondering when is the latest one could do an audition elective and have it mean something in terms of helping to get interviews. Is there any way doing an elective in October would help me get an interview at that program? Would a program offer me a courtesy interview if they knew I was coming there to do an elective in a few weeks? As of now, I have an audition rotation set up for July, but I'm trying to decide whether it would make sense to do another in October. Any thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.