Ent/fps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that has any thoughts or input on the osteopathic ENT/facial plastic surgery residencies? i different things like "they are considered second rate in the ENT world" to "they are great!" Granted, these are other medical students giving their thoughts. Is there ayone who can give me some first hand info?

Members don't see this ad.

check out this webpage

http://www.aocoohns.org/residents/aocohns-res1.htm

i have spoken to some of the residents and residency directors for the MI programs and they seem pretty cool - but being from MI everyone is accepting of DO or MD, for the most part, so i would say its a biased opinion on programs around here. call some of these programs up for info, they will put you in touch with someone. your best bet is if you are looking to head to MI is to get in touch with the program at Mt Clemens - they seem to take alot of out of state students (many years running now). i got to MSU-COM so i am only really looking at the MI programs. good luck and hope it helps.

I wouldnt say they are necessarily second rate, but I think they are pretty competitive just because a lot of DO hospitals don't fund many ENT spots. The osteopathic hospital affiliated with my school has only one ENT spot per year, and it just so happens that every student since I have been affiliated with my med-school that gets offered this ENT spot has a dad who is an ENT affiliated at that hospital or is in the area. Ironic, I think not.

MI of course we all know is a BIG DO state, I think most of their DO residencies are pretty good!!

I spent time at some of the MI ENT programs and also at the Philadelphia program. Some were definately better than others. PCOM impressed me the most out of all I visited. They operate a lot and get good exposure to all fields of ENT without having to go to outside programs. The program in Joplin, MO is exellent I have heard. They have fellowship-trained attendings for each ENT fellowship, which is unusual to find at an osteopathic ENT program. Almost every DO program has the unwritten policy that they will not accept any candidate that doesn't rotate there. There is some nepotism, but even if you don't have conections but you have great board scores and make a good impression during the rotation and interview, you can have a good chance of getting a spot. Call the programs and make sure they are accepting this year before scheduling a rotation.