ENT questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Entol

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at a few websites that describe the work of ENTs and the specialties possible in ENT, which seems really interesting. I'm sorry for asking these questions, because I know it has probably been asked a million times, but I've been having trouble finding it with the search down.

Does ENT also offer a good lifestyle or is it very hard work hours like most surgerical fields?

How many hours per week is typical?

and what is the typical work schedule?

Thanks a lot!

PS if anyone knows a good website for this type of info, please reply with it!

-Entol

Members don't see this ad.

If you want ENT info, www.otomatch.com is the most comprehensive site. I learned about it half way through interview season, and wish I had known earlier.

Entol said:
I've been looking at a few websites that describe the work of ENTs and the specialties possible in ENT, which seems really interesting. I'm sorry for asking these questions, because I know it has probably been asked a million times, but I've been having trouble finding it with the search down.

Does ENT also offer a good lifestyle or is it very hard work hours like most surgerical fields?

the ENT residents at my institution work like dogs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I must say I have come across few residents in any field that have it easy. Fact is, as a resident, whether it be medicine, surgery, ENT, etc... you're going to be working your @$$ off. Particularly if you are at a busy trauma center or big head and neck cancer center, expect long hours. Once you finish residency, the lifestyle questions becomes more pertinent. Comparing the lifestyles of general surgeons vs. ENT's as attendings, ENT will usually win. Obviously that is not always the case but from my experience that is what I have observed.

Here's my sched (R3 at Iowa):

Get to hospital at 6 am usually, about 5:30 on Mondays.
Rounds at 6:30. OR's begin at 7 am, except on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Mondays: tumor board bw/ 6:30 and 8am.
Tuesdays: Grand Rounds bw/ 7-8am
Clinics usu done by 5 pm.
OR's usu done by 5 pm, but big flaps can go later, much later.

I'd say I leave the hospital around 5:30 to 6 pm most nights.
I get 2-3 full weekends off per month.
R2,3:call q7, in house, leave at 12 noon postcall. But R3's do research rotations, VA, away private rotation, etc, so are not at University hospital a lot.

Life is good. I can't complain.

doc05

which institution is that? Is that common for everywhere else?

judging by his location of Iowa City, Iowa : i am gonna have to guess the University of Iowa