ENT questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current M2, and we do a lottery based rotation selection for M3 and M4. I am trying to construct my sched in a way so I can do some out of town electives. I am itnerested in, perhsps ENT, so I had a few questions.
I would really appreciate if someone can address some of these. Thank you.

1. My school does not have a strong ENT program. Before doing any out of twon electives, I'd really wanna see if I like the field. Should I stick with ym school's program (not very strong--i don't think we have a residency here), or try to work with an ENT doc in the community and then if I like the field, do out of twon electives at prestigous places? (is the scope of practicice similar for community and university based--i mean can i get a good idea of the specialty by working c a community ENT doc)?

2. When do you submit everything to apply for the match, what month i.e?

3. Also, when is a good time to do an out of town elective. I imagine before you submit stuff, so you can get a potential letter? Or, do people usually do out of town electives in between applying and interviewing?

4. If I wish to do research, when is a good time to do that? I should try to do it well before I apply so i have a potential publication, rather than just something to talk about, eh? I would like to do it at a prestigous school with a good program--gosh there is NO time for all this!!

I'd appreciate some input.

Members don't see this ad.

HiddenTruth said:
I am a current M2, and we do a lottery based rotation selection for M3 and M4. I am trying to construct my sched in a way so I can do some out of town electives. I am itnerested in, perhsps ENT, so I had a few questions.
I would really appreciate if someone can address some of these. Thank you.

1. My school does not have a strong ENT program. Before doing any out of twon electives, I'd really wanna see if I like the field. Should I stick with ym school's program (not very strong--i don't think we have a residency here), or try to work with an ENT doc in the community and then if I like the field, do out of twon electives at prestigous places? (is the scope of practicice similar for community and university based--i mean can i get a good idea of the specialty by working c a community ENT doc)?

2. When do you submit everything to apply for the match, what month i.e?

3. Also, when is a good time to do an out of town elective. I imagine before you submit stuff, so you can get a potential letter? Or, do people usually do out of town electives in between applying and interviewing?

4. If I wish to do research, when is a good time to do that? I should try to do it well before I apply so i have a potential publication, rather than just something to talk about, eh? I would like to do it at a prestigous school with a good program--gosh there is NO time for all this!!

I'd appreciate some input.

you should see if you can scrub in or at least observe some ENT cases at your institution. it will give you some more exposure to a field you are interested in, and help establish some links within your department. regardless of how you arrange away rotations, etc...you will need to get some ENT letters from your department. in addition, it'd be a good segue for talking about research opportunities as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
HT,

If you are interested in Oto, its not too hard to find a local MD who will let who shadow her/him for a few days, just to get an idea of what the field is about. The scope of what local Otos and academic Otos do is a little differrent, but you'll get at least an idea.

I would try to do a rotation in Oto at the mid point of your third year and then try to set up out of town electives in June/July/August between your third and fourth years. It is good to do the out of towns, if you want a letter, in June/July.

You should send you app. stuff in to the sfmatch in August of your fourth year.

I would begin research as soon as possible. Just contact some of the Oto staff at your program and see what they'll let you do. I did 10 weeks of basic science research, did not get a publication, and did fine on my interviews talking about it. If you don't think that you have enough time, just try to do a case series or retrospective review that won't eat up a lot of time. Its good to have some sort of research to show your interest in the field on your application.

Finally, everyone wants to do Oto in a "prestigious school." Most Oto programs in the country are just fine. The USN&WR rankings don't mean much, IMO.

thanks a lot throat, appreciate the input. Although we don't have an official ENT resid program at my school, we do have another medical school in the city who does have ENT. So, I guess I will go to them and talk to them about research and a possible rotation there. As far as LOR's go, do I have to have one from my home institution?? Thanks a lot for your help.

You don't necessarily need a letter from your school, but I certainly wouldn't feel like you only have to have all Oto LOR's. I would have al least one Oto LOR. Its not a bad idea to have someone that you do research with to write you a letter, have an clinical Oto write a letter, and then have a letter from someone who loved you (mine was from an FP guy).

I thought it would be helpful for all of you to know that ENT is switching from the SF match to the regular NRMP this year. I heard this information from the chairman at my school today.

mudd99 said:
I thought it would be helpful for all of you to know that ENT is switching from the SF match to the regular NRMP this year. I heard this information from the chairman at my school today.

Neutrapeniaboy...can you confirm this?

talk to your ENT dept, they can probably confirm it

what are the pros and cons to this, other than the fact that it gives u moer time for away rotations, and can't bank on NRMP gen surg match (or other specialty) if potentially in matched in SF, unless u apply to two different speacialties in the same match--can be very tedious, and not very suggestive, eh?

for what it's worth, i think it's more con than pro especially if you're in the position of needing to double apply if you're a borderline candidate. the only pro i can see if like you mentioned is the option of doing more away rotations, more time for research, more time to get LORs. personally, i am very happy i do not have to apply to ENT when it moves to regular match. knowing 2 months before the rest of our classmates that you matched is a relief, to state it mildly.

this change could also reduce the competitiveness of ENT as fewer applicants are willing to take the risk (of not having gen surg as a backup) and choose gen surg over oto..

cubs3canes said:
Neutrapeniaboy...can you confirm this?

I haven't heard this, and I can't find information on SFmatch.org to confirm it.