ENT residency, then REGULAR-NOT FACIAL-PLASTICS afterwards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moola

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that conventionally ENTs interested in plastic surgery go in to facial plastic surgery rather than regular plastic surgery fellowship. I'm personally planning on going into ENT and then doing a regular plastics fellowship. The reason for this is that ENT docs are MUCH better at facial work than conventional general surgery based plastic surgeons. Personally, I think the face is harder terrain than body plastic surgery and I wish to gain better expertise of this, but I wish to do body plastic surgery. Is this feasible? Are general surgeons given much more preference for the plastic surgery fellowships? Also, what is the salary difference b/w conventional plastic surgeons and facial plastics w/an ENT practice? Plz lemme know. Much love to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Moola said:
I know that conventionally ENTs interested in plastic surgery go in to facial plastic surgery rather than regular plastic surgery fellowship. I'm personally planning on going into ENT and then doing a regular plastics fellowship. The reason for this is that ENT docs are MUCH better at facial work than conventional general surgery based plastic surgeons. Personally, I think the face is harder terrain than body plastic surgery and I wish to gain better expertise of this, but I wish to do body plastic surgery. Is this feasible? Are general surgeons given much more preference for the plastic surgery fellowships? Also, what is the salary difference b/w conventional plastic surgeons and facial plastics w/an ENT practice? Plz lemme know. Much love to all.

Yes, there are Oto-trained docs that go into regular plastics fellowships. One of our fourth-year residents plans to do this. I have no idea if g-surg residents get any preference for general plastics fellowships, but I doubt it. Plastics and facial plastics salaries can vary widely. Both have extremely high earning potentials, though.