ENT rotation book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mary

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if DuneHog or anyone else out there has any ideas for books to help me shine on my aways. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i used ent secrets during my ent rotation and i thought it was great. lot's of high yield, pimpable type questions and answers.

I agree - secrets is a great rotation book, especially for preparing for pimp questions about and certain topic. The book I carried around in my pocket was "Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery: Clinical Reference Guide" by Pasha. It's size makes it especially useful, and is great for quickly looking up things in clinic etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll definitely look into both books. Any other suggestions on how to impress the programs? I am really excited to finally "find my calling", but it is kind of nerve wracking to be so set on something so incredibly competitive...

A couple of other books to look into are:

Essentials of Otolaryngology by Frank Lucente. ISBN: 0-7817-1463-X

and

Essential Otolaryngology by KJ Lee. ISBN: 0-07-137322-5

Lucente's is a small book that easily fits into a white coat or into your bag, and has a small chapter on most common things that you'll encounter in clinic.

KJ Lee is a thick 1000+ page textbook that may be useful to leave where-ever you're staying so you can look stuff up at night that you encountered that day, or might see the next day. It's not a particularly friendly textbook to read, but it was pretty popular among a lot of ENT residents I worked with. It isn't as huge as the multi-volume texts like Cummings or Bailey, but it's got enough detail to really get into most topics within ENT.

I agree with the others though. If you are only going to buy one text, make it ENT Secrets, and know the thing as inside-out as you can.

As for away rotations, the same things as with home rotations. Work hard, be keen, write notes and orders, study the relevant anatomy the night before the OR... Enthusiasm goes a very long way, often a lot farther than just pure knowledge.

mary, i totally agree with the others here...

ENT secrets is a great book

Pasha's little green handbook is very good too (and easy to carry in your white coat).

if you could only get two books for ENT rotations, i'd stick with these.

best of luck!