ENT Sub-I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShaggyDog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a rising 4th year (after taking a year to do research) and a little nervous about starting back. I'm only doing one ENT Sub-I (at my home institution) so no aways. I did okay 3rd year, so not feeling super confident about my chances right now to rock it.

It seems like this forum has some very useful and helpful participation from people at different level of training from students to attendings, so I thought I would come here to ask for some tips/pointers to prepare accordingly. I've got a few questions to help get things started -

What is the level of expectation with regard to daily management of inpatients? As a 3rd year, I would often just summarize the previous day's plan and ask the resident about any changes prior to rounds. Will I now be expected to volunteer plan changes myself?

How active can I be in clinic without slowing work flow? Last year, I never felt like an active participant in clinic - it was often shadowing but occasionally I would get a brief history and present to an attending or resident.

Along those same lines, what are some pertinent physical exam things I can do in clinic on my own?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

See if you can start a few days or a week early if you're coming straight back from a research year. Get back into the swing of things and learn the system before the official start of your rotation.

Depends on the program that you go to. Some treat sub-I's like interns and will ask them what they think about how to manage a patient. Others will treat you like a shadow who is there to just listen. Many will just ask the standard questions--what's that anatomy? what's that disease? what's your diagnosis? what is the mechanism for this? where is Dr. So and So? go get me a coffee (not a question).

PE things to do also depends on the attending/resident under whom you're working but be prepared to:
know pneumotoscopy
dizzy exam, and at least describe Epley to treat BPPV
often you'll be allowed to remove cerumen
describe anterior rhinoscopy exam findings
describe oral exam findings
describe neck exam findings

Don't feel like you need to:
be able to clean cerumen
perform flexible laryngoscopy
do an Epley without watching several
inject or do biopsies
perform nasal endoscopy