This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenngold

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help deciding on a specialty. Currently I am between ENT and OBGYN. I have worked very closely with the ENT department since M1 and can get great letters, scored 240 step 1, and have published 3 papers with the department (+countless conference poster presentations).

But, during M3 I discovered that I really liked my OBGYN rotation. Up until M3, I hadn't considered any other field besides ENT. I was streamlined to go into this specialty, but now had a curve ball thrown my way. I really enjoyed urogynecology and gynecologic oncology, appreciated the mix of clinic/surgery, and the public health aspect of the field. Though, I didn't care for L&D all that much. I ended up scoring poorly on Step 2 due to a family emergency and thus may have compromised my chances for ENT. Despite this, I am still considering both fields. My main concern is that I find pelvic and reproductive anatomy fascinating, but cannot seem to excite myself over the ear, nose and throat. I especially can't stand audiology. BUT, the lifestyle of an ENT would be much more conducive to having a family, compared to obgyn. Not sure what to consider/do here. Anyone with advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered urology? You'd be dealing with a very different kind of pelvic anatomy, but you'd have the ENT lifestyle.

If you really do not find the ear, nose, or throat interesting, but find pelvic and repro anatomy interesting ... then I think that's it.... it's ob/gyn.

Choosing ENT (or any field) just for life style sounds like a bad idea. There are some specialties within OB that are more life-style friendly (ex. fertility). I'm not sure about urogyn lifestyle, and I think gyn onc can be tough. But better to be interested and have longer hours than have beautiful 8-5 hours in a job you're bored to death in. Plenty of Ob/gyn's manage to have a family and live a balanced life-style.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 2 users
If you like pelvic anatomy and surgery UROGYN might be a good fit for you. Of course requires fellowship so 7 years of training but lifestyle is pretty good for a urogyn attending actually no real emergencies clinic and scheduled surgeries. I'd start with doing advance electives or Sub-I in both fields. I came upon OBGYN at the last moment as well (wasn't considering it until after the rotation). Lifestyle as a resident sucks but that's true for most surgical specialties. Lifestyle is what you make it lots of different practice models (full spectrum, laborist, minimally invasive gyn surgeon, fellowships, etc.).

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile