Entering P1's, how do you feel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmcdc

Troches & lollipops
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, with just about two weeks until orientation/school start and I am excited-nervous- a little scared, but mostly excited. :D Its like you spend all of your energy working hard to get accepted, then you do. Oh Yeah!! :cool: Now you realize that there is so much more you have to do! The summer is over :scared: How do you guys feel? Share your thoughts....

Members don't see this ad.

I'm skurred... and worried how intense the first month will be. I don't know how deep we'll be diving into the material or how much review there will be to get everybody on the same page. I've let my mind rot away this summer and I feel like I've forgotten the past 4 years of school work. :oops:

Right now I think I am more stressed about moving and my change of plans than school. 2 weekes until the move and then a week more until school starts. That last week I'll be really nervous and, hopefully, excited :).

Members don't see this ad :)
ethyl said:
I'm skurred... and worried how intense the first month will be. I don't know how deep we'll be diving into the material or how much review there will be to get everybody on the same page. I've let my mind rot away this summer and I feel like I've forgotten the past 4 years of school work. :oops:

Exactly how I feel too. I haven't used my brain at all this summer and I don't know if it can still function. I'm also sad that summer is over too soon. This has been my best summer yet and it's too short!

It's funny that I feel as nervous as I do. All I could talk about for three years was getting into pharmacy school. I'm probably just anticipating too much and once I find myself in the classroom and meeting my classmates I'll be really excited.

I have another month and a half until pharmacy school starts for me. Our semester begins mid-September. I'm also a bit nervous and scared. I finished my science courses over a year ago, and I pretty much forgot everything I learned. I have a feeling that will end up kicking me in the ass in pharmacy school when I have to know the stuff I forgot in undergrad.

Pharmacy school starts next week for me. It's only an orientation, so there will be some fun before we actually have to study. It's gonna be cool experience meeting so many people of different ages and ethnicity. I'm looking forward to the White Coat ceremony. Wearing the white coat will signify I am a professional health care provider with a social obligation to help people and it also means, I've made it. Yessss!

I've been studying off my friend P1 notes, so I kinda know what to expect. I'm really interested in the materials so it won't be as dry as my undergrad studies.

I'm mostly excited and a little bit nervous. The main thing that gets me excited is living on my own without my parents breathing down on my neck. Of course, it also helps that I already know a couple of people there since we went to the same undergrad university. Right now, I'm not even worried about the academic material but more on financial aid. Not to say it will be a breeze, but I try to deal with it when it's already in front of me. So, I'll try to enjoy whatever's left with this summer before we start our orientation next week.

My thoughts...
Let's get on with this already. I've worked 3 years to get here. I know myself and I know what I want to do with this degree and in what capacity I would like to help people. I just want to get out and get a good job that allows me to have tons of job satisfaction and feel like I am making an actual difference in people's lives.

As for pharmacy school itself, I will take it a day at a time and I know I will get through it okay. I know I have a support system and I know how I study best and learn best.

Chris

ethyl said:

Me too. I spent 4 hours last night reading up on lactones and trying to remember how much Organic I've forgotten.

You guys will be fine. I too remember being in your position 4 years ago. The main advice I can give is to not get so caught up in the academics that you let the time fly by without experiencing everything else that the next 4 years will bring you.

Normally your first year of pharmacy school is taylored so that many courses are to bring people up to par academically, and will not generally be therapeutically focused. Actually I thought the first year of pharmacy school (UIC in chicago) was rather bland and boring. We didn't hit therapeutics until the 2nd year.

Just remember that the competition should have ended the day you recieved your acceptance letter. It is better IMO to be competitive within yourself but not necessarily with those classmates around you. I cannot recall the times that I had difficulties completing group projects (get used to those) because a person or two, within my group, were so competitive that it fostered a "not so good" learning environment.

Best advice. Relax. Honestly the hard part is over. You will see that it's not really that bad or anything to be nervous about. Depending upon your class size, you can gaurantee that everyone else is feeling exactly what you are.....

I'm worried that I'm not worried. Should probably be more apprehensive than I am, but I've done a lot of school in my life and four more years of it won't hurt.

Only worries are getting our financial aid package within a reasonable period of time. Other than that, just want to get going on this latest project.

The march of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

CatSpam
-----------------------------
Texas A&M Health Science Center Rangel College of Pharmacy, Charter class of 2010.

Im excited. But Im going to miss being able to spend money pretty much how I want, and to make my own hours (kinda). No sick days in school either. :) But Im looking forward to "starting over" with a new group of people into a new career.

I am not worried anymore because we have been in summer academy for 5 wks now. This is our last week and it has been fun though too many impromptu exams here and there. You guys shouldn't be worried because if you are not capable of passing through pharmacy school you won't be where you are today. The only advice I have based on what I have learnt from summer academy is to revise your chemistry and biology. All I have been hearing for the past 4weeks in our Pathophysiology class is Autonomic nervous system. Revise general chemistry because you will need it for pharmacy calculations.
Just relax and enjoy the last few weeks before school starts. That's what I plan to do the next three weeks before we go back to school
Goodluck to everyone starting pharmacy school this fall :) :)

DownonthePharm said:
Im excited. But Im going to miss being able to spend money pretty much how I want, and to make my own hours (kinda). No sick days in school either. :) But Im looking forward to "starting over" with a new group of people into a new career.

Exactly my thoughts. :)

starsweet said:
Exactly my thoughts. :)

Orientation is on the 11th, i have not even found an apartment. Im stressing over housing and financial aid at this point and i cant wait to jump the hurdle!

But i am excited, no more mummy yelling at me to do the dishes. I will live peacefully in my dirty squalor, lol :D

I'm very excited because I just found a place to live. I've been pushing that back forever but fortunately, and now it's done with *sigh of relief* As for pharma school, I'm trying to be motivated. Yeah, that does not sound good coming from an incoming student. Well, I've had trouble with attendance in college. I will make it my goal to come to every class. It's not that I don't care, I just undermine teachers in general.

I should also try to make myself social, meet people, and all that good stuff. I'll also be in a long distance relationship, and there is a big 3 hr time difference between our times. I feel very attached to him so I guess it'll be hard for both of us.

What can I say? Like all of you, it's a new phase in our lives. It's what we make of it. Good luck in the next few weeks for all of you P1s.