Enthalpy change question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FeralisExtremum

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of an issue with this Qvault question on enthalpy:

JFPKR4Z.png

According to Chad, any element in its standard state, will have a ΔHf of 0 by definition. That would lead me to think the ΔHf of this reaction is just 165.2. According to Qvault: "The enthalpy change is represented by the following equation ΔH rxn = ΔH products - ΔH reactants. So the answer is ΔH=(165.2)−(29.2+97.7). This is equal to 38.3 kJ/mol"

I understand the math they used, but why do Ni and Cl2 (being in their standard states) not have a ΔHf of 0?

Members don't see this ad.

JFPKR4Z.png

According to Chad, any element in its standard state, will have a ΔHf of 0 by definition. That would lead me to think the ΔHf of this reaction is just 165.2. According to Qvault: "The enthalpy change is represented by the following equation ΔH rxn = ΔH products - ΔH reactants. So the answer is ΔH=(165.2)−(29.2+97.7). This is equal to 38.3 kJ/mol"

I understand the math they used, but why do Ni and Cl2 (being in their standard states) not have a ΔHf of 0?

You are correct....Ni and Cl2 are BOTH in the standard state,,, hence the Heat of Formation is ZERO. Do yourself a favor...and use a textbook written by a PhD chemist. I like the Raymond Chang book......It is virtually error-free.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Jim Romano

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
they're asking for enthalpy change not enthalpy of formation. If it was formation the standard states would be 0

Reactions: 1 user

JFPKR4Z.png

WOW! I would suggest you stick to the Biology section of Qvault. Their chemistry section has tons of error. Or you could stick to a textbook like Dr. Romano suggested. I would go with the recommended textbook from AADSAS website: Chemistry the Central Science.

Reactions: 1 user
Chemistry The central science also has a TON of errors. I am currently taking gen chem II and our teacher gives us a few points for every error found in the NEW 2014 version of the textbook. I have already found over 15 errors. And the class a total probably has found over 100 errors. But despite all these errors, it is a great textbook.

chang.jpg
WOW! I would suggest you stick to the Biology section of Qvault. Their chemistry section has tons of error. Or you could stick to a textbook like Dr. Romano suggested. I would go with the recommended textbook from AADSAS website: Chemistry the Central Science.

I recommended the book by Raymond Chang

Dr. Romano