Entropy Freedom vs Chemical Complexity (EK Chem #392)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoleDoc

FEAR THE SPEAR!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the EK Chem 1001, Question# 392 asks. "Which of the following 5g samples has the highest entropy?"
A. O(g)
B. O2(g)
C. O3(g)
D. All of the above.

The answer was A, now their reasoning is because identical masses means the same number of oxygen atoms are present in each case. For choice A, The oxygen atoms have maximum freedom-no chemical bonds. They suggest that "Freedom" is a better way to think of entropy rather than disorder.

Now in my GenChem text book, it says that entropy increases with chemical complexity, with the number of atoms in the compound; as long as the substances are in the same physical state.

I was hoping someone could clarify and help me out with either reasoning. All comments are greatly appreciated.
Thank you!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing that if you compare O3 to HOCl, then the HOCl would have a higher entropy given that everything else the same. (This is just my illustration point, although they prob. have diff. physical states). This is prob. what your GenChem book means by chemical complexity. However, when you compare O3 to 3O, then 3O would have a higher entropy.

PS: For diff. chemical compounds, I usually check for the intermolecular forces to have a better comparison of entropy.

Last edited: