Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

aqua_skies95

Hey guys. I'm thinking about applying to programs for Epidemiology. I was a Bio major and recently thought about applying to Epi programs instead of med school. I have a 3.8 GPA and a MCAT of a 506.

I haven't taken any public health courses in my undergrad. Do you think that will hold me back from getting accepted?

I have volunteering experience in different healthcare settings (hospital, nursing home, american cancer society), research (clinical and bench work), and shadowing healthcare providers (idk if this will help much). I don't have any epidemiology focused extracurriculars. I've been trying to search for anything near my area but I can't find any specific programs :(

I was considering talking about my biology background and healthcare experiences in my personal statement and how it's brought me to want to pursue Epi. do you think that would work for the statement?

Members don't see this ad.

Going though the admissions process, I learned that many schools like seeing your "public health story" in your personal statement. So yes, I believe you explaining how you discovered that you wanted to go into public health would make a great statement. Public health is very interdisciplinary, which is why you will not find many highly specific requirements for acceptance into programs. I am currently an MPH epidemiology student, and my peers have come from a variety of backgrounds. Many undergrad programs do not offer epi related courses, so that will not hold you back! Many of us come in without specific epi experience. Just show the school that you are passionate about public health!