Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwishmok

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in the epidemiology and i have a bad GRE Math score...how will that affect me in terms of my application for admission into that program? I was a little low then 50th percentile on the math...

Members don't see this ad.

mwishmok said:
I am interested in the epidemiology and i have a bad GRE Math score...how will that affect me in terms of my application for admission into that program? I was a little low then 50th percentile on the math...

If you plan to apply next year you still have plenty of time to study and retake the exam. Most schools say they are looking for at least a 50th score on V and Q. Some look for around a 600+ score. Programs like Berkeley and UW and others get way more qualified candidates then they have space for and a <50th certainly looks less favorable than someone who has a 700 Q, with everything else being equal.

With that said, most MPH programs look at your whole package. A guy from the Michigan Epid program told me that you need at least a 50th score, unless you can convince the ad coms you are a bad standardized test taker. ;)

I would retake it just to make sure. My freinds mom raised her score by 200 points with just one intense month of GRE studying.

mwishmok said:

I think EPI does require having good quantitative skills. And they need to see that somehow. So if your GRE score isnt so great, then you have to look at the classes you took. What is your undergrad. major? Did you take a lot of science and math classes? I have heard that if you can show good grades in your coursework, and have a decent GRE you should be fine. Also, if you did anything science related, did you volunteer or work in a lab or related field. You could always talk about how you used your quantitative ability there--if that applies to you.

But that also depends where you want to go to school. Higher-end schools typically have more "qualified" applicants, so its better to have above the 50th percentile to be competitive. I would say having a 700 and roughly little or no background in math/science, would definitely help you out. If you have the background, you could probably slide with a lower Q score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hihi,

Yes, I totally agree with the other posters - under 50th percentile in the math section is not good at all. All the schools I applied to required that you had 50th percentile or higher. Also epidemiology, like biostatistics, will have more math than some other fields in public health due to the statistics and research/methodology classes you will have to take. I'd strongly recommend that you study and retake the exam - most good schools won't seriously consider your application unless you supass that benchmark. I hope this helps.

I think all the posts here are very accurate to what the adcoms are looking for. I did talk to a couple of profs at Columbia who said that they look more on the Q score than the V. However you still need to get 50% on both. Sometimes a very high analytical score can help a low verbal score if you can convince them why you messed up. Like someone pointed out here they look at the whole package so work exp and grades in your undergrad matter. They also look at the major so if you are from an engnieer background and show high math and science grades that might help a bit on the GRE as well. Good luck but I would suggest retaking the GRE and getting a more competitive score.

Thank you all u of u who posted, i appreciate your thoughts on this very much. Its unfortunate that the last deadline for most schools and the one i applying to (GW) is in may 15...i mean if i really work hard i could study and retake it before then, but i was hoping to get my appl. in b4 the deadline...i dont know what i'll do. i only have a basic math background that was required for the premed req's. (took calculus I) and i majored in geology. soo i doubt that will help me, i'll look into re-taking it...i mean i got a 550 in verbal..but math was lower than that...yeah reserach was tellin me that quantitative is important..okay well thanks u all.

mwishmok said:
Thank you all u of u who posted, i appreciate your thoughts on this very much. Its unfortunate that the last deadline for most schools and the one i applying to (GW) is in may 15...i mean if i really work hard i could study and retake it before then, but i was hoping to get my appl. in b4 the deadline...i dont know what i'll do. i only have a basic math background that was required for the premed req's. (took calculus I) and i majored in geology. soo i doubt that will help me, i'll look into re-taking it...i mean i got a 550 in verbal..but math was lower than that...yeah reserach was tellin me that quantitative is important..okay well thanks u all.

I believe the GW program allows provisional acceptance if you do not meet the miniumums they place on the GRE or your GPA. I don't know your exact situation, but mine is similar as I have a Geography undergrad with little math. I thought about GW, just because it is in DC, but the program to me at least doesn't seem to be worth the very high cost. There seems to be very little funding too.
I would wait a year and apply to other schools, this is just me, but if you are dead set on DC metro you should think about retaking the GRE and applying to Hopkins next winter. If you can't wait until next year, you can still apply to St. Louis University this year, which I believe is much better than GW and cheaper. I think the St. Louis MPH is ranked 18th?

Of course this is just opinion.