Epinephrine shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Has anyone run into this issue lately? Friend of mine had an allergic reaction and is trying to find the 1mg/ml injections and has been to 3 pharmacies in a major metro area and no such luck. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

3 different pharmacy companies or just different stores? Different companies have different distributors that may not be running into a shortage. Im not aware of the shortage, but then again ive been in an LTC pharmacy the past 6 weeks and only work retail one day a week, so I dont see epipens a whole lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard about generic epinephrine shortage that used in hospitals. Not sure about Epi Pens.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/ucm314740.htm#epinephrine Seems to be a demand>supply issue.
Apparently one pharmacist told her that they've been told to order it only as needed, so she'll have to wait till tomorrow (so weird). Another told her that if it was an emergency she should have gone to the ER where they would have it on hand. And a third told her she's have to wait til tomorrow.
This was apparently three different companies- walgreens, cvs, and rite aid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard about generic epinephrine shortage that used in hospitals. Not sure about Epi Pens.

We've been out of the 1:10,000 epinephrine vials forever. We usually just give the stuff out without any questions to EMS and police departments when they come by the hospital, but lately we haven't been able to give them any epinephrine.

For hospitals that perform cataract surgeries: our surgeons use epi PF for surgeries and we've run really low on our stock. The surgeons strongly suggested we buy a special alternative from Leiters Compounding Pharmacy in San Jose which is a combination of phenylephrine and lidocaine preservative free however my DOP wants to stay away from compounding companies. I've read you can't use plain epi in the eye, so what are you guys doing?

For hospitals that perform cataract surgeries: our surgeons use epi PF for surgeries and we've run really low on our stock. The surgeons strongly suggested we buy a special alternative from Leiters Compounding Pharmacy in San Jose which is a combination of phenylephrine and lidocaine preservative free however my DOP wants to stay away from compounding companies. I've read you can't use plain epi in the eye, so what are you guys doing?

What do you mean you can't use plain epi in the eye? If the surgeons are using epi PF now, isn't that just plain epinephrine? :confused: