EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all, been reading here for a while, just wanted to pay it forward - I had heard from many that getting 65 on the practice exams was enough for passing on the actual exam. I couldn't let myself trust that , so I studied until I was getting in the low-mid 70s on practice tests (which were old, BTW, none before 2013) and 80 on the Modern Psychologist retired Qs. I also took the PEPPPO and passed. It was WAY OVERKILL - I scored very highly on the exam itself, way more than the passing grade of 500, and I probably could've saved myself at least a month of studying. The exam is way easier to pass than the practice tests.

So - although it will be hard to trust some anonymous person, if this helps - I'd suggest not sweating it if you're near 70 on the practice exams, maybe take the PEPPPO if you *really want to be sure. Oh, and you won't know how you're doing on the exam itself - might think you're failing even, I wasn't sure - and still be doing great.

Good luck everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
THE EPPP IS OVER AND I PASSED!

Prep: About an hour a day during the week and about 3 hours per day on the weekends from about mid-November until last week. I used a mix of AATBS books, AATBS flashcards, old audio files, and a TON of practice tests. I just answered a bunch of questions from old exams every weekend and studied the ones I got wrong (like, DSM-IV old, including a mixture of AATBS, Academic Review, and PsychPrep). Scores on practice exams: 57, 60, 71, 62, 64, 71, 64, 62, 66, 71, 66, 74, 79. Because my practice exam scores were all over the place, I paid for the PEPPPO for peace of mind and passed. I'd estimate I spent about 120-130 hours studying.

I was consistently taking practice tests in 2.5 hours, but used about 3 hours and 50 minutes for the actual exam with only one bathroom/snack break (~5 minutes). I passed the EPPP with a 711, NY 91. Echoing other posters, I probably studied for a month longer than I needed to. Like everyone says, I really thought I was failing the entire time. I even gave myself a pep talk in the bathroom mirror before getting my score printout about how it's not the end of the world to take it again (so dramatic, I know).

Unrelated, but if you can avoid wearing anything with pockets it will save you time getting in and out of the room during breaks (you've got to scan your palm in and out and pat yourself down, turn out your pockets, etc., which takes time and is also a pain).

Hopefully this is helpful for someone. To whoever is reading this and needs to hear it, YOU CAN PASS THE EPPP! Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
I spent tons of time on here comparing scores and practice tests so hopefully this will help someone. I took the EPPP last week and passed with a 590 (NY=82). I barely studied at all to be honest (which I don't recommend) and it still turned out fine.

I come from a strong Clinical PhD program and had a competitive neuro internship and am now at a reputable neuro postdoc at a major AMC (2nd year). That being said, there was a lot of material I didn't know or didn't even recognize so definitely had to brush up on a few areas. I used some hand me down PsychPrep and AATBS practice tests and PsychPrep audio/study guides. I actually got a ton of other study materials but it was just way too overwhelming so I stuck with those. I took a couple practice tests, saw what areas I needed to work on, read over the study guides for those areas, and then just started taking all the practice tests I could find and reading the explanations for the ones I got wrong. I started studying very passively/occasionally when I first registered for the test in November, then ramped it up a little mid-February, then crammed during the week before or so.

My practice test scores: AATBS - 63%, 67%, 61%, 62%, 70%, 77% (this last one was a day or two before the real thing)
PsychPrep - 65%, 69%, 70%, 61% (that was rough), 67%

The actual test sucked, it was long and honestly I felt like I guessed a LOT. I came out pretty confident that I had passed but knew it wouldn't be a crazy high score. In hindsight I'm glad that I didn't spend months studying, but I'm also generally a good test taker. If you have any kind of test anxiety I'd definitely prep more.

Good luck everyone!

Edited to add: Definitely don't condone not studying for a huge test like this, I intended to study more but I have a teething 8 month old baby who doesn't sleep at night, another kid with a million extracurricular activities, and a super busy postdoc schedule. Just didn't have enough time in the day, I'm not a slacker, promise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I used psych prep (first score was 57%, then other tests remained in high 50s- on the last test, which was test E, I got 65% and I took this in one sitting). I reached the target score on the first and last test, only. I took the eppp 2 weeks after I took practice test E and passed with 566.

I also took the PEPPPO (for baseline) before studying and got a 495.

Hey everyone! For all those who have passed and or studying to pass...I am curious...especially if you are using or used AATBS--did you notice a test being "harder" that others? I noticed I had a steady increase from initial to test 4...but then, I just finished test 5 and I went from scoring a 72 to a 65...I feel super defeated by that...my test is in June...I don't know if it was just that test and me being like...what in the world is this question even trying to ask...or if it is lack of content...I'm surprised how much it went dow

Hey everyone! For all those who have passed and or studying to pass...I am curious...especially if you are using or used AATBS--did you notice a test being "harder" that others? I noticed I had a steady increase from initial to test 4...but then, I just finished test 5 and I went from scoring a 72 to a 65...I feel super defeated by that...my test is in June...I don't know if it was just that test and me being like...what in the world is this question even trying to ask...or if it is lack of content...I'm surprised how much it went dow

It's possible that the test was harder, but, most companies do a decent job at test statistics to match the difficulty level pretty well. It's more likely that that particular practice test had more content that you wee unfamiliar with. May be a good idea to see what content area the questions you got wrong were and see if you need to shore up studying in a particular area.

Don't stress too much. I studied using AATBS materials and only broke into the low 70s once or twice. They actually wanted me to push my test out farther, but I went ahead and took it anyway. The practice tests are designed to increase anxiety.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I used AATBS and found a similar pattern to my practice tests - they felt more "difficult" towards the middle of the pack. Definitely spiked my anxiety a bit but just stick with it and use it as a practice in anxiety management. I would also encourage taking a PEPPPO or PEPPP if you can. I found it to be very helpful and a great supplement to the AATBS practice tests.

I used AATBS and found a similar pattern to my practice tests - they felt more "difficult" towards the middle of the pack. Definitely spiked my anxiety a bit but just stick with it and use it as a practice in anxiety management. I would also encourage taking a PEPPPO or PEPPP if you can. I found it to be very helpful and a great supplement to the AATBS practice tests.
Thank you, I appreciate your feedback. What was your end testing scoring prior to sitting?

Don't stress too much. I studied using AATBS materials and only broke into the low 70s once or twice. They actually wanted me to push my test out farther, but I went ahead and took it anyway. The practice tests are designed to increase anxiety.

If you don't mind me asking...what made you decide to go with the testing instead of pushing it out?

It's possible that the test was harder, but, most companies do a decent job at test statistics to match the difficulty level pretty well. It's more likely that that particular practice test had more content that you wee unfamiliar with. May be a good idea to see what content area the questions you got wrong were and see if you need to shore up studying in a particular area.
Good feedback, thank you.

If you don't mind me asking...what made you decide to go with the testing instead of pushing it out?
Because I was tired of studying at that point. Plus, I had heard scoring in the high 60s was sufficient on AATBS tests. I did well on the actual test. I think 630 or something like that.

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback. What was your end testing scoring prior to sitting?

These were my scores across the practice tests (in order): 53, 55, 61, 57, 57, 62, 64, 70. I did pass both the PEPPPO and PEPPP, which I took about 1-2 weeks out from the test and felt was most similar to the actual exam.

As you can see, I did not do that well in general but tried to keep my cool and forge on as I kept hearing on this forum and from others that the practice tests tended to be an underrepresentation of your actual performance on the exam. Obviously, that is not always the case but seems to be somewhat of a pattern. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I passed the EPPP (in the middle of a pandemic)!!

Was signed up to take it in April, which was postponed due to COVID. Prior to the postponement I had been casually studying for about a month (reviewing a few test items, passively reading materials) and then stopped studying. Found out three weeks ago that the test would be taking place in early May so I started cramming.

In the last three weeks I studied about 3-4 hours a day during work days, and probably up to 7 hours on weekends. I used the Psych Prep online test and really enjoyed the explanations and experience of taking test items on a computer. I also reviewed AATABs materials, listened to the psych prep audio, and took other hand-me-down tests to prepare. What was most helpful was taking the 250 retired test questions, and I think that score most predicted my actual score on the exam. My practice test were in 48-60% range, and my final scores on the exams in "test mode" were in the 60-82% range (but after I had reviewed the answers). My score on the 250 retired questions was 70%.

A few days before the exam I completed Test E in test mode without reviewing it prior and got my lowest score! I tried not to let it bother me and focused on trying to pin down info I was struggling to remember via youtube videos and ppt slides I had as hand me downs. After that test, I did not feel prepared to take the EPPP, but figured it was worth the gamble. I did not feel confident throughout the test and used almost all the time allotted, making sure to take breaks every 50 items or so.

Ultimately what I think was most helpful for me was the practice tests and retired items. There were even a few items on my test that were almost word for word what I had seen on psych prep or the retired items. I ultimately do not think the AATABS summaries were as helpful because they were too dense (I primarily focused on the key words in the back).

Good luck to everyone!

I passed the EPPP (in the middle of a pandemic)!!

Was signed up to take it in April, which was postponed due to COVID. Prior to the postponement I had been casually studying for about a month (reviewing a few test items, passively reading materials) and then stopped studying. Found out three weeks ago that the test would be taking place in early May so I started cramming.

In the last three weeks I studied about 3-4 hours a day during work days, and probably up to 7 hours on weekends. I used the Psych Prep online test and really enjoyed the explanations and experience of taking test items on a computer. I also reviewed AATABs materials, listened to the psych prep audio, and took other hand-me-down tests to prepare. What was most helpful was taking the 250 retired test questions, and I think that score most predicted my actual score on the exam. My practice test were in 48-60% range, and my final scores on the exams in "test mode" were in the 60-82% range (but after I had reviewed the answers). My score on the 250 retired questions was 70%.

A few days before the exam I completed Test E in test mode without reviewing it prior and got my lowest score! I tried not to let it bother me and focused on trying to pin down info I was struggling to remember via youtube videos and ppt slides I had as hand me downs. After that test, I did not feel prepared to take the EPPP, but figured it was worth the gamble. I did not feel confident throughout the test and used almost all the time allotted, making sure to take breaks every 50 items or so.

Ultimately what I think was most helpful for me was the practice tests and retired items. There were even a few items on my test that were almost word for word what I had seen on psych prep or the retired items. I ultimately do not think the AATABS summaries were as helpful because they were too dense (I primarily focused on the key words in the back).

Good luck to everyone!
Congrats on Passing!!! Question for you. Where did you find the 250 retired test questions?

Hey everyone...thanks for all the past feedback. But, I am looking for a little more feedback.

I was taking the EPPP Simulation test through AATBS :thumbdown:. My exam cut off at 4 hours (despite on actual test day, I am allowed time and a half) :bang:. I contacted the company, which before hand they said as long as I take the exam in one sitting I will be fine and the duration does not matter, the exam cut me off at question 183. It generated me a score of 123/225=55%. I was unable to answer 44 questions. So I don't necessarily think that the 55% any indicator about taking the actual exam. I am curious your thoughts or even from people who have the test contract knowledge base that I surely do not have! :)

I am sure some can relate but I started to question and think...well, if 50 of the test items are practice and I didn't get to answer 44 questions, that is basically like the 50 questions removed from scoring...which then means that the actual amount of test questions would be 175....but I don't know if the 175 that are scored aren't made of up the 50 questions I didn't get to answer....so maybe I passed maybe I failed...heck I haven o idea...ppppffff...should I reschedule my exam date?? Or? o_O

I passed the EPPP today and couldn't be happier! :happy: The guidance from this forum helped me immensely and I am so grateful. I studied mostly with AATBS materials and practice tests, then took the Retired Questions, the PEPPPO, and the PEPPP. My scores are as follows:

AATBS: 50%, 62%, 65%, 69%, 69%, 68%, 72%, 68%, 70%, 80%, 85%, 84%, 67%
Retired Questions: 67%
PEPPPO: Pass
PEPPP: 598
EPPP: 550

Taking the PEPPP was extremely helpful and I strongly recommend it! I went to take it last week and had several mishaps that really prepared me for the actual exam. The biggest of the mishaps was when I went to check-in, the testing center required 2 photo IDs with my legal name. I'm recently married and only have one photo ID with my new last name and am still waiting for my new passport to arrive in the mail. Luckily the testing center told me my social security card and/or marriage license would suffice and gave me a 3-hour window to go home and come back with those documents. Long story short I was not going to forget my social security card and marriage license on the actual exam day! The PEPPP was a great trial run to work out any kinks and familiarize myself with the process, which ultimately helped reduce my anxiety.

Overall the actual test was by no means easy and I ended up taking the full 270 minutes. My biggest barrier was managing my anxiety and moving through the test at a calm consistent pace. I am so relieved it's finally over and wish everyone who takes it the best of luck!!! :luck:

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Been loving all the posts in here as they are super encouraging! I was scheduled to take the test in April but it got canceled due to the pandemic and so I slacked off a bit in studying. Only took like 1-2 full length practice tests overall, the rest I just took questions like a question bank. When they announced just a few reopenings I ended up taking it on a whim and failed with a 470. I’m now set to take it at the end of May and have been studying way more intently, and taking 2-3 practice tests a week. Scores are as follows so far:
AATBS: 72, 80, 76, 78
Psychprep: 72, 72, 68, 72

I still have two more weeks so I’m reading domain reviews, listening to psych prep audio passively, and taking more practice tests.

I just feel a little discouraged because when I first took the exam- it was barely ANYTHING I studied content wise. I’ll admit I wasn’t practicing test taking skills and sitting though full length tests at that time so maybe that’s what factored in to my failing. But since then- like I mentioned I’ve been taking plenty tests.

Any advice/input? I feel like I should be ready in two weeks time, just nervous.

Hi everyone! Been loving all the posts in here as they are super encouraging! I was scheduled to take the test in April but it got canceled due to the pandemic and so I slacked off a bit in studying. Only took like 1-2 full length practice tests overall, the rest I just took questions like a question bank. When they announced just a few reopenings I ended up taking it on a whim and failed with a 470. I’m now set to take it at the end of May and have been studying way more intently, and taking 2-3 practice tests a week. Scores are as follows so far:
AATBS: 72, 80, 76, 78
Psychprep: 72, 72, 68, 72

I still have two more weeks so I’m reading domain reviews, listening to psych prep audio passively, and taking more practice tests.

I just feel a little discouraged because when I first took the exam- it was barely ANYTHING I studied content wise. I’ll admit I wasn’t practicing test taking skills and sitting though full length tests at that time so maybe that’s what factored in to my failing. But since then- like I mentioned I’ve been taking plenty tests.

Any advice/input? I feel like I should be ready in two weeks time, just nervous.
You are ready. Your practice test scores are high enough.

Hello everyone,

Reading the thread has been so helpful! I'm currently studying for the EPPP and have tons of anxiety. I failed the first few times because I really could not think during the exam. I am now on a beta blocker and using it to aid my studying. It's really making a difference.

I started studying again the last two months and my scores for my exam are (first attempts) AATBS: 58, 68, 60 Psych prep: 63, 60, 65 AR: 70, 71, 77 (I find AR a lot easier than the rest) and the retired question- 72.5%. I was wondering if I schedule the exam or study for another 2 weeks before I attempt? Most of the questions I'm getting wrong are I/O and Stats. However, I'm afraid if i focus on these domains I'll forget the other areas.

Any advice appreciated.

Hello everyone,

Reading the thread has been so helpful! I'm currently studying for the EPPP and have tons of anxiety. I failed the first few times because I really could not think during the exam. I am now on a beta blocker and using it to aid my studying. It's really making a difference.

I started studying again the last two months and my scores for my exam are (first attempts) AATBS: 58, 68, 60 Psych prep: 63, 60, 65 AR: 70, 71, 77 (I find AR a lot easier than the rest) and the retired question- 72.5%. I was wondering if I schedule the exam or study for another 2 weeks before I attempt? Most of the questions I'm getting wrong are I/O and Stats. However, I'm afraid if i focus on these domains I'll forget the other areas.

Any advice appreciated.
Do you have access to all 8 AATBS practice tests? If so, I would suggest taking all of them. If you score in the high 60s and hit the low 70s once or twice you are likely good to go.

Hi all! To anyone who has taken the test recently- any last minute tips? I’m taking in 6 days and just gearing up for it! What did you do in the last week?

Hi all! To anyone who has taken the test recently- any last minute tips? I’m taking in 6 days and just gearing up for it! What did you do in the last week?

Yes my question too! I am taking it on Wednesday and passed the PEPPO online today. I saw a few areas where I didnt do so well. I was wondering whether I should spend the next few days focusing on these domains or just reviewing basic notes and practice exams?

Thank you.

I completed a few practice tests in the week leading up to the actual test. I made sure to review all my questions and read the explanations for things I got wrong. I also listened to some psych prep audio the night before - just to passively review the areas I felt less confident in.

I definitely tried to review areas I felt less confident in the last few days, and would tried to both take practice exams and review those domains.

GOOD LUCK! You're so close!

Biggest advice I’d give, assuming you’ve done a good amount of prep, is testing day anxiety management. I freaked out a little a quarter into the test, which was definitely not conducive to doing my best. So I took a bathroom break, did some breathing exercises, and came back fresh.

Anecdotally, based on most I’ve talked to, there may be a time where you feel like you have no idea how to respond and that failure seems likely. For me at least, this was because many of the questions can be vague and hard to whittle down possibly answers. Push through that and try your best. I felt very uncertain and ended up with an obnoxiously good score.

Reactions: 3 users
"What did you do in the last week": I took the time to get enough sleep every day that week until the test date, and I reviewed test strategies, and ethics.

I agree with ExecutiveDysfunction that managing your anxiety is key. I would also suggest that you read the questions carefully and more than once if you need to before selecting an answer. For me, a careful reading of each question helped me to identify the wrong answer choice(s) and increased my chances of picking the right answers. I was also able to reduce my anxiety because I was too focused on understanding what the question was actually asking. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! I will definitely be monitoring my anxiety tomorrow!

"What did you do in the last week": I took the time to get enough sleep every day that week until the test date, and I reviewed test strategies, and ethics.

I agree with ExecutiveDysfunction that managing your anxiety is key. I would also suggest that you read the questions carefully and more than once if you need to before selecting an answer. For me, a careful reading of each question helped me to identify the wrong answer choice(s) and increased my chances of picking the right answers. I was also able to reduce my anxiety because I was too focused on understanding what the question was actually asking. Hope this helps!

Thank you!!! I followed that general pattern in the week leading up and I think I’m all geared up for tomorrow! Let’s see how it goes!

I completed a few practice tests in the week leading up to the actual test. I made sure to review all my questions and read the explanations for things I got wrong. I also listened to some psych prep audio the night before - just to passively review the areas I felt less confident in.

I definitely tried to review areas I felt less confident in the last few days, and would tried to both take practice exams and review those domains.

GOOD LUCK! You're so close!

That’s literally me as well- if I freak out in the middle or get discouraged I have to really pull myself up so I’m just going to breathe and know that many people feel that way when taking the test

Biggest advice I’d give, assuming you’ve done a good amount of prep, is testing day anxiety management. I freaked out a little a quarter into the test, which was definitely not conducive to doing my best. So I took a bathroom break, did some breathing exercises, and came back fresh.

Anecdotally, based on most I’ve talked to, there may be a time where you feel like you have no idea how to respond and that failure seems likely. For me at least, this was because many of the questions can be vague and hard to whittle down possibly answers. Push through that and try your best. I felt very uncertain and ended up with an obnoxiously good score.

That’s literally me as well- if I freak out in the middle or get discouraged I have to really pull myself up so I’m just going to breathe and know that many people feel that way when taking the test

Absolutely! I actually found it really helpful to assume any questions that felt wildly unfamiliar were beta questions and didn’t count toward my score. There’s no way to know and it helped with any anxiety I was having!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say I PASSED on my second attempt today! Thank you to everyone in this group for being so lovely and encouraging!!

Reactions: 5 users
Unfortunately, I failed by 2 points... I will rest up and study some more before I attempt again.

So I kept assuming my test date (last Tuesday) was going to get cancelled, and I stopped studying. And of course... it didn't get cancelled! So I basically crammed for 1.5 weeks, last two practice tests (AATBS) were both 72%, and I ended up getting 645. It's true what they say: the practice tests are way harder!

Just want to say to everyone taking this test during this pandemic, whether you pass or fail, you are doing something impossibly hard! Find time to celebrate yourself!!

Unfortunately, I failed by 2 points... I will rest up and study some more before I attempt again.
How frustrating!!!!! Sorry to hear it. Best of luck on your next round and feel free to ask for tips in here if you feel like it’d be helpful.

Hi Group,

I see in the handbook that I cannot take the test more than four times in a 12 month period. I wanted to see how this counts? Does this mean I have to wait a year after my fourth attempt? Or does this mean it resets after my first attempt? I am very confused by the language. Any guidance appreciated.

Hi Group,

I see in the handbook that I cannot take the test more than four times in a 12 month period. I wanted to see how this counts? Does this mean I have to wait a year after my fourth attempt? Or does this mean it resets after my first attempt? I am very confused by the language. Any guidance appreciated.

I would assume that if you take the test four times in 12 months, you have to wait until the 12 months are up to take the test again (resetting a year after the first attempt)? I’d contact Pearson to double check though.

I would assume that if you take the test four times in 12 months, you have to wait until the 12 months are up to take the test again (resetting a year after the first attempt)? I’d contact Pearson to double check though.

Hi Foreverbull,

You're right! I spoke with the licensing board (in NYS). It is a year from the first took it, not from authorization date or last attempt.

Hello all. I’ve been silently creeping this thread for a while. I’m a Master’s level clinician, going after becoming a Licensed Psychological Associate (prefer clinical to counseling license, although my program trained for both). Also, wanted to take the EPPP now for when I go after a PhD/PsyD, I won’t have to do it again :)

With that said, I tested for the first time yesterday and I passed with a 505! I’m going to offer my journey, although it is likely not useful or insightful.

I have been studying since October. I was originally scheduled to test in April, which I felt ready for. Then due to COVID, my test got cancelled and the earliest I could reschedule was June. I got frustrated and stopped studying from mid April to mid May and crammed for about 3 weeks or so. My PrepJet subscription ran out June 2nd so I had my hand written notes and a conglomerate of other things I’ve collected. I did not have the best study routine. I didn’t have a set time or way I did things. I studied when I could and how I wanted to (notecards, reading, etc.) I work full time and have child and having time to study was hard. Mainly weekends, sometimes a couple hours after work.

I used mainly PrepJet. At first I had this “fundamentals of the EPPP” book and hated it. I then used PsychPrep and it wasn’t my style. I loved PrepJet. I did, however, keep using PsychPrep audio for my hour commute to and from work. I also, on my 3 hour drive to the hotel the night before my test, listened to audio. That was the last time I studied before taking it. My test scores ranged from 60-74%, with my PrepJet readiness score only ever reaching 36%. I can’t look at or remember my exact exam scores. I think it was something like this: first pass (in order from exam 1-5) - 70, 68, 60, 60ish, 54. Second pass - 74, 70, 62, 64, (didn’t take exam 5 again). I never took exam 6. Although I didn’t do what I should have, PrepJet worked for me and their material was easily digestible. Again, my studying routine was not the best but it’s what worked for me. I don’t like routines and doing what someone tells me because it never matches what works for my brain. My brain is very scattered (I am very anxious all the time) and so I work in a scattered fashion when it comes to academics lol.

Test day - I felt like I knew literally nothing. Most concepts felt made up. Statistics questions made more sense than the others!! I did not take breaks, because for me that creates more anxiety. I’m a “1 and done” type of person. When I was becoming frustrated I would look at the ceiling and remember that “I can only do my best,” “I only need a 500,” and breathe through it. I did not flag questions. I knew if I did I would change my answers and probably get it wrong. I took my time with each one. I did use the highlight and cross out functions. Those helped a lot. When I walked out and only saw one paper for me I almost passed out. I was certain I failed. But I guess I was able to reason through the questions better than I thought! Sorry I don’t have any helpful tips or insight. All I can say is - do what works for YOU. YOU know your brain, you know what study methods got you through graduate school. Do what is comfortable and what facilitates the most learning for YOU.

If I can do this with a Master’s degree and pass, you can too!!! Don’t let this thing get you down!!! It does NOT define you!

MATERIALS: My employer purchased an AATBS package (books, practice exams x8, section quizzes, online audio lectures). I supplemented this with the 250 retired questions (I got it from here: EPPP Retired Questions .... it looks like a scam, but the PDF will be emailed to you, I promise!).

If I take the PDF exam linked there would that be a decent baseline for me to get a sense of areas for me to focus my studying on?

• Love
What do y'all think? I am taking it in two weeks:

AATBS: 54.5%, 64%, 67.5%, 73.5%
AR: 65%, 65.3%, 72%, 70.7%, 72.4%

All the >70% are within the last week and a half. All old hand-me down stuff (DSM-IV) stuff.

Hello! Just passed the EPPP yesterday with a score of 655. I found this thread very helpful and I wanted to share my scores / process!

I originally was going to take the EPPP at the end of April. My first test (apologies, I do not know what company it was) was an older version with DSM-IV questions I got a 34%. I really struggled with the test strategy. Plus, I had TONS of old materials from friends and I was noticing that some answers to the same questions were contradictory which was incredibly frustrating. I also felt like I needed more structure. I eventually decided to pay for Psych Prep. I took my first Psych Prep Exam A and got a 55%. Then my test got cancelled because of COVID.

When I rescheduled for June 29th, I went back to Psych Prep and started studying in May. I spend a bit longer than recommended for reviewing tests (recommendation for my timeline was 1-3 days, I took 3-5 days). Quite honestly, I had a lot going on in my personal life and really struggled with focusing so had to do things in shorter chunks to make sure I was actually encoding. My scores were as follows on first passes:

Exam A - 55%
Exam B - 60%
Exam C - 64%
Exam D - 64%
Exam E - 66%

Generally on my second passes I was pulling at least 90% granted I did take them 3 days after reviewing them. I was very worried going in to my test because while I was hitting target scores or very close to the target scores, I never got over 70%. That being said, when I reviewed my tests, I noticed that on average 5 of my mistakes were because of lack of focus or attention to what the question was asking (e.g., not noticing "at least"). This became a good motivation to focus as much as possible during my test. I am usually very quick, often finishing well before the allotted time, but my actual EPPP I took 3.5 hours. I read each question at least twice. It felt disorienting not knowing if I was doing well or failing. I had to spend a bit of energy reminding myself that what I experienced was normal and re-centering. There were only about 20 questions that I knew I had correct. I walked out feeling that it was equally likely that I passed with a low margin, passed with a significant margin, or failed. Anyways, hope this helps and don't give up hope!

As an aside, I would recommend Psych Prep for anyone who needs structure. The explanations are shorter which makes the prospect of taking a test more manageable. Specifically, the email feedback program is also great for not having to think about what to study or tackle next!

I took the EPPP today and "unofficially" passed with a score of 633!

Background: I have a very strong background in school psychology. I went back to get my PhD in School Psychology, which I earned in 2018. I am currently a post doctoral fellow at a pediatric neuropsychology private practice.

I started prepping for the EPPP this past February. I primarily used Psych Prep materials, although I also used the retired test questions. I think the Psych Prep materials were helpful in terms of getting me to think about how to approach a test question, including all of the item options.

I've seen previous posts on this thread from people indicating that the main test is easier than the practice exams, and some have even said in so many words that it is not necessary to aim for perfection, just aim enough to pass. To be honest, while it may not be realistic to aim for "perfection," I certainly aimed way higher than 70% during practice. My rationale for this is that I didn't want to cut it too close on the actual exam, especially given that I didn't know the level of difficulty that my particular version would be.

As stated, I utilized Psych Prep and the retired test questions. I not only studied the items I answered incorrectly, but also the items I correctly guessed. Because even though they were correct it didn't mean that I actually knew nor understood the item. I studied all answer choices to make sure that I understood what each answer choice meant.

The scores below reflect the first time I took each practice test on Psych Prep (some I took more than once, others I took only once - the second time I took each test I generally scored in the 90s and above, with the exception of Test E, which I only took once).

Test A Study Mode - 51%
Test B Study Mode - 65%
Test C Study Mode - 72%
Test D Study Mode - 75%
Test E Test Mode - 73%
Quizzes Study Mode - 76%
Retired Test Questions - 76%

I completed the actual exam in about 3 to 3.5 hours, with no breaks. Honestly, although parts of the exam had hard questions, the most stressful part about my experience was this proctor that was there. She was pretty cold in my opinion and her interactions with me felt like she was assuming that I was going to cheat. Based on how she interacted with me, it got to the point where I was worried that I did something wrong that would affect my responses going through and thus getting a score. Fortunately, I did receive that single printout at the end, but I still have a worry in the back of my mind that they will be null and void because the proctor was super critical.

The main thing I would have done differently is practice testing while wearing a face mask. I wear glasses, and so they tended to fog up a lot during the exam! But, I will say that the pandemic helped me to spend more time studying since we weren't getting as much of an influx of patients, particularly in April/May.

The responses on this thread have been so helpful in terms of helping me figure out how to study effectively and minimize stress. I am taking the EPPP in 4 days! I've primarily been using PsychPrep materials and was passively studying (mostly listening to audio) for the past month and have been focusing on taking tests more in the past 2 weeks. I've noticed an improvement in test scores and I'm hoping that by honing my MC test-taking skills and getting some content in there, I'll pass this thing! I'll let you all know how it goes :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For those that have recorded themselves reading
notes or discussing concepts to review later, is there an app you used that you recommend?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

So I took the dreaded thing yesterday and passed! WOOOHOOO! Scaled score of 556, which was just where I was aiming for. I know people who took it and scored in the 600s and 700s, which is awesome, but almost all of them over-studied in my opinion. I was totally aiming for passing and that was it. I am busy at postdoc and have two kids, so I wanted to put in a limited amount of time prepping, get this thing over with, and get back to my life. Plus, I think I could study >1,000 hours and still have items I did not know on the exam. The info out there is almost limitless, and because there is so much info, I felt a little lost as to what to do to study, so I checked around and did decide to buy study materials to help up my chances of passing the first time. Here is what I did to prepare:

I used Psychprep's audio and tests - I personally think they're too expensive, but I thought the audio was really helpful and the tests provided good explanations. I only studied for a month, initially just listening to the audio, but I found that the info wasn't sticking like I'd like, so I then followed my own condensed version of their audio/practice test study schedule that they provide. Now, Psychprep offers you these sample study schedules, which I found helpful, but their schedules are for 16 weeks of studying. I just condensed their schedule and did a week's worth of work in 2-3 days. If you have more time or like to stretch your studying out, then following the sample study schedules as they're laid out may be great, but I personally did not want to increase my anxiety by dragging out my studying that long. Other than the 5 practice tests and chapter quiz questions, I did not read anything or study any written materials.

I also only took each practice test (A-E) two times, even though the schedule says to take each test 3 times. I found that taking the test once in study mode, going over each answer and rationale, and then going back and taking each test again in retake mode was enough to help me feel prepared. I initially emailed my scores to a consultant thru psychprep, and he told me to stretch my studying out more, so while I like the idea of having someone help you and tell you when you're ready to pass, if you don't want to follow their exact guidelines, it's not really worth it. I only emailed him my scores once, then decided to do my own thing and never looked back.

I was anxious to take practice tests without delving into much content, but I found it helpful to miss questions and did not let my low initial practice test exam scores define me. I went from making 50% on test A the first time to 69% on Test E the first time. So, technically I never passed a practice test before I took the actual exam. However, I was told that as long as you make a 130/200 on Test E the first time, you should pass the EPPP (I made 138/200). I was a little concerned that I never passed a practice test, and that's partly to blame for why I went over audio and rationales again on the test questions and basically crammed the weekend before the test (told my husband he was on his own with the kids and studied about 8 hours on both Sat & Sun), but I have no regrets.

Now, as for the actual EPPP, it was helpful to hear from those who have gone before me, and this forum provided me with a wealth of knowledge in that area. I went into it knowing that there was going to be some info that I had never heard of, and like I said, I think keeping the mindset that I just need to pass and it was okay that I didn't know everything really helped me to stay motivated during the test. I found the wording of the questions to be overall much more straightforward than psychprep's questions. The strike-out feature was super helpful to me and I used that frequently as I narrowed down my choices. I think the test was a good mix of questions where I knew I was getting the right answer, questions where I could narrow it down to 50-50, questions that I could make an educated guess based on what I'd studied, and questions that I had absolutely no idea what the right answer was.

The exam itself seemed impossibly long when I began and then seemed like time was going too fast near the end. I tried not to flag too many questions, only flagging those I was completely unsure of, but when I got to the end of the test and reviewed my first few flagged questions I found that I didn't know them any better and had a headache, so I just decided to keep my original guess and not go over the rest of them and ended the test a few minutes early. When I walked out, I thought I'd probably passed, but would not have been surprised if I didn't. Needless to say, I was so happy when I got that one sheet of paper (I might have shed a tear or two).

Hope this info about my experience will be helpful to someone out there. Remember, you know yourself and just do what works best for you and try not to get overly stressed or bogged down. Take care of yourself and good luck to those of you preparing. You've totally got this!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone,

So I took the dreaded thing yesterday and passed! WOOOHOOO! Scaled score of 556, which was just where I was aiming for. I know people who took it and scored in the 600s and 700s, which is awesome, but almost all of them over-studied in my opinion. I was totally aiming for passing and that was it. I am busy at postdoc and have two kids, so I wanted to put in a limited amount of time prepping, get this thing over with, and get back to my life. Plus, I think I could study >1,000 hours and still have items I did not know on the exam. The info out there is almost limitless, and because there is so much info, I felt a little lost as to what to do to study, so I checked around and did decide to buy study materials to help up my chances of passing the first time. Here is what I did to prepare:

I used Psychprep's audio and tests - I personally think they're too expensive, but I thought the audio was really helpful and the tests provided good explanations. I only studied for a month, initially just listening to the audio, but I found that the info wasn't sticking like I'd like, so I then followed my own condensed version of their audio/practice test study schedule that they provide. Now, Psychprep offers you these sample study schedules, which I found helpful, but their schedules are for 16 weeks of studying. I just condensed their schedule and did a week's worth of work in 2-3 days. If you have more time or like to stretch your studying out, then following the sample study schedules as they're laid out may be great, but I personally did not want to increase my anxiety by dragging out my studying that long. Other than the 5 practice tests and chapter quiz questions, I did not read anything or study any written materials.

I also only took each practice test (A-E) two times, even though the schedule says to take each test 3 times. I found that taking the test once in study mode, going over each answer and rationale, and then going back and taking each test again in retake mode was enough to help me feel prepared. I initially emailed my scores to a consultant thru psychprep, and he told me to stretch my studying out more, so while I like the idea of having someone help you and tell you when you're ready to pass, if you don't want to follow their exact guidelines, it's not really worth it. I only emailed him my scores once, then decided to do my own thing and never looked back.

I was anxious to take practice tests without delving into much content, but I found it helpful to miss questions and did not let my low initial practice test exam scores define me. I went from making 50% on test A the first time to 69% on Test E the first time. So, technically I never passed a practice test before I took the actual exam. However, I was told that as long as you make a 130/200 on Test E the first time, you should pass the EPPP (I made 138/200). I was a little concerned that I never passed a practice test, and that's partly to blame for why I went over audio and rationales again on the test questions and basically crammed the weekend before the test (told my husband he was on his own with the kids and studied about 8 hours on both Sat & Sun), but I have no regrets.

Now, as for the actual EPPP, it was helpful to hear from those who have gone before me, and this forum provided me with a wealth of knowledge in that area. I went into it knowing that there was going to be some info that I had never heard of, and like I said, I think keeping the mindset that I just need to pass and it was okay that I didn't know everything really helped me to stay motivated during the test. I found the wording of the questions to be overall much more straightforward than psychprep's questions. The strike-out feature was super helpful to me and I used that frequently as I narrowed down my choices. I think the test was a good mix of questions where I knew I was getting the right answer, questions where I could narrow it down to 50-50, questions that I could make an educated guess based on what I'd studied, and questions that I had absolutely no idea what the right answer was.

The exam itself seemed impossibly long when I began and then seemed like time was going too fast near the end. I tried not to flag too many questions, only flagging those I was completely unsure of, but when I got to the end of the test and reviewed my first few flagged questions I found that I didn't know them any better and had a headache, so I just decided to keep my original guess and not go over the rest of them and ended the test a few minutes early. When I walked out, I thought I'd probably passed, but would not have been surprised if I didn't. Needless to say, I was so happy when I got that one sheet of paper (I might have shed a tear or two).

Hope this info about my experience will be helpful to someone out there. Remember, you know yourself and just do what works best for you and try not to get overly stressed or bogged down. Take care of yourself and good luck to those of you preparing. You've totally got this!
Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm in a similar boat as you were. I'm using Psychprep and just took Test E for the first time and scored %69.5. I also only carved out 2 months of study time and had to condense their study schedule to do two weeks in one. After finishing all of their practice exams (first tries) I was really upset that I didn't get over a 70 and realize that I made a few stupid mistakes in not reading/thinking about some questions fully. However, it's good to know that you have a positive experience with the actual EPPP without "passing" any of the Psychprep exams.

Hi everyone!

I took the EPPP today and got a 495. I'm feeling quite discouraged and frustrated, and I am looking for some advice. For studying, I've been using AATBS 2017 and 2018 manuals, audio lectures from I think 2013 psychprep and AATBS, flashcards from AATBS, and some free exams I got from a friend (AATBS 8 exams from 2013, and psych prep A to E from 2010). I took the week off from work before the exam and I've been studying for at least 2 days a week (6 hours each day) for the last 3 months or so. In the last week, I took 5 full practice exams, 3 of which I passed and the other 2 I got in the upper 60s. I passed the PEPOPO exam online 2 days before the exam and I passed the retired 250 questions with a score of 72. I was feeling anxious, but confident the day of the exam as I had a lot of signs that I was going to pass. Missed it by 5 points... eesh.

With the printout they give you, I was told I struggled more with development, DSM/assessment, and stats, and I did very well in Bio, Intervention, Ethics, Social, and Cognitive. I'm thinking what will give me the extra edge is getting a hold of more recent exams. I plan to aim to get into the late 70s/early 80s for each practice exam mostly because I cannot take that bloody exam again and not pass. I'm considering buying from AATBS, Academic Review, or Psych Prep. I was curious if people felt one company was better than the other. The options are below. I'm also very open to any and all advice. I so want to be done with this process! I booked my next exam for October to give me ample time and I plan to take another week off from work leading up to the exam. Thanks in advance

EPPP Exams and Quizzes Bundle $389 1000 practice questions, EPPP assessment exam, 90 day access to domain quizes, EPP stimulation tests

EPPP TestMaster - 30 Day Access $475, 30 day access, 1800 practice questions, 8 full length exams

Affordable EPPP Online Study Subscriptions | Academic Review $359, access to e books, over 2200 quetions, flashcards, and unlimited practice exams

EPPP Online Tests | Comprehensive Psychology Licensing Preparation Programs $350 one month, 5 practice exams, each test and chapter quiz 3 times, 200 domain specific chapter quiz questions

Hi everyone!

I took the EPPP today and got a 495. I'm feeling quite discouraged and frustrated, and I am looking for some advice. For studying, I've been using AATBS 2017 and 2018 manuals, audio lectures from I think 2013 psychprep and AATBS, flashcards from AATBS, and some free exams I got from a friend (AATBS 8 exams from 2013, and psych prep A to E from 2010). I took the week off from work before the exam and I've been studying for at least 2 days a week (6 hours each day) for the last 3 months or so. In the last week, I took 5 full practice exams, 3 of which I passed and the other 2 I got in the upper 60s. I passed the PEPOPO exam online 2 days before the exam and I passed the retired 250 questions with a score of 72. I was feeling anxious, but confident the day of the exam as I had a lot of signs that I was going to pass. Missed it by 5 points... eesh.

With the printout they give you, I was told I struggled more with development, DSM/assessment, and stats, and I did very well in Bio, Intervention, Ethics, Social, and Cognitive. I'm thinking what will give me the extra edge is getting a hold of more recent exams. I plan to aim to get into the late 70s/early 80s for each practice exam mostly because I cannot take that bloody exam again and not pass. I'm considering buying from AATBS, Academic Review, or Psych Prep. I was curious if people felt one company was better than the other. The options are below. I'm also very open to any and all advice. I so want to be done with this process! I booked my next exam for October to give me ample time and I plan to take another week off from work leading up to the exam. Thanks in advance

EPPP Exams and Quizzes Bundle $389 1000 practice questions, EPPP assessment exam, 90 day access to domain quizes, EPP stimulation tests

EPPP TestMaster - 30 Day Access $475, 30 day access, 1800 practice questions, 8 full length exams

Affordable EPPP Online Study Subscriptions | Academic Review $359, access to e books, over 2200 quetions, flashcards, and unlimited practice exams

EPPP Online Tests | Comprehensive Psychology Licensing Preparation Programs $350 one month, 5 practice exams, each test and chapter quiz 3 times, 200 domain specific chapter quiz questions

Bummer! Sorry to hear it--a score that close is really frustrating. Normally I'd suggest switching up your practice materials to get a new perspective and to counter some of the practice effects of using AATBS materials, but you actually have access to A LOT of materials based on your list (audio, multiple printed materials AND it sounds like 14+ practice tests!). I personally doubt that paying another $400 or so for new materials is going to be helpful.

That said:

1.You could take handwritten notes on your currently-owned practice materials, or change something up in your practice routine to help with encoding/storage/recall. I don't know that changing your materials should make that much of a difference in this case given how comprehensive they are. The only thing I think you'd need practically-speaking is a few more practice tests to solidify your review of topics you struggled with. How you study is just as important as what you study--do you read passively, then listen to audio, then take a practice test at regular intervals? Do you take notes on the material you read or listen to?

2. How many total hours of study time did you allow yourself and during what time period? I studied ~90 hours in 2-3 months to keep the material fresh, but some folks in here range from around 20-200 hours depending on comfort level/confidence, time available to study, how long it's been since they graduated, etc. I stopped at 90 because that's when I completed a full run-through of all of my materials, and my confidence overtook my anxiety about taking the test at that point, so I was sick of studying. That threshold will vary by individual.

3. If you passed the PEPPO, this could be a sign of anxiety impairing your performance a bit (maybe just enough to pull you under the passing score?). What might be more relevant for you is to work on replicating the exam setting as much as possible and using relaxation skills during practice tests and reviewing test-taking strategies, perhaps? Several folks in here who mentioned that they failed were doing fine in terms of studying and practice test scores but then something happened at the EPPP-taking stage.

Best of luck to you!