PhD/PsyD EPPP Studying - PsychPrep Weekend Workshop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChildPsych28

Reaction score
Hi all! Did anyone participate in PsychPrep's Weekend Workshop? If so, did you find it helpful? I am three weeks away from sitting for the exam, and I'm wondering a) if it's worth the $$$, b) if the pre-recorded workshop is sufficient when compared to the "live" version (it's now via Zoom), and c) when in the last few weeks I should consider taking the workshop? They have a live Zoom version of the Workshop that takes place 10 days before I sit for the exam - would that be enough time to take in/master the material? Or would I be better off purchasing the pre-recorded workshop and taking it sooner, to give myself more time with the material?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi ChildPsych28,

I have not done the weekend workshop but I can say that I've found that PsychPrep's materials and audio study programs are concise, engaging, and well put together.

Hi all! Did anyone participate in PsychPrep's Weekend Workshop? If so, did you find it helpful? I am three weeks away from sitting for the exam, and I'm wondering a) if it's worth the $$$, b) if the pre-recorded workshop is sufficient when compared to the "live" version (it's now via Zoom), and c) when in the last few weeks I should consider taking the workshop? They have a live Zoom version of the Workshop that takes place 10 days before I sit for the exam - would that be enough time to take in/master the material? Or would I be better off purchasing the pre-recorded workshop and taking it sooner, to give myself more time with the material?
Hi there! I am in the same position right now and wondering if it would be helpful to purchase the Weekend Workshop. My test is August 11 and I have been using AR to prepare. Just wondering if you ended up doing the workshop and if you did the pre-recorded one? If so, did you find it helpful? Thanks so much in advance for your guidance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the pre-recorded weekend workshop and found it to be very helpful! It was a nice little review of some material (by going over sample questions) but mostly focused on how to answer test questions and good test taking strategies, which I think is especially important for when you're faced with questions about topics you aren't familiar with (which will happen on the EPPP). I personally don't think it'd be worth doing the live session for the price, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I took the pre-recorded weekend workshop and found it to be very helpful! It was a nice little review of some material (by going over sample questions) but mostly focused on how to answer test questions and good test taking strategies, which I think is especially important for when you're faced with questions about topics you aren't familiar with (which will happen on the EPPP). I personally don't think it'd be worth doing the live session for the price, but that's just me.
Second this- I got the premium package which included the recorded session of the weekend workshop- I thought it was very helpful- I suggest it- but doing it live wouldn't have added anything for me.

Flashcards, practice tests, and more flashcards.

Just amass as much content as you can you have a reasonable assurance will be on the test, and drill yourself with practice tests and flashcards over and over until your sick of it. Overlearning is your friend for multiple choice tests!

Flashcards, practice tests, and more flashcards.

Just amass as much content as you can you have a reasonable assurance will be on the test, and drill yourself with practice tests and flashcards over and over until your sick of it. Overlearning is your friend for multiple choice tests!
Interesting you say this bc Sharon from PsychPrep says do not use flash cards 😅

Interesting you say this bc Sharon from PsychPrep says do not use flash cards 😅
She says that because people use flashcards to do rote memorization, and they will be "cued" by the card (your handwriting, the color of the card, how you worded the answer or question, order of the cards, etc, etc).

But I used flashcards and passed from my first time, so it's up to you. I handed mine off to friends/family members, so once I made them, i didn't see them much as they were the ones quizzing me. Also, I hand wrote all my notes, and then hand wrote the flashcards, so having to write it out a second time and make myself recall the answer was also helpful. I also didn't buy the psychprep audio (which was recommended over and over and over) because I can't do audio only learning and I hated her voice lol and I also didn't buy any recorded sessions or weekend workshops.
I think there are many different ways to study so think back to what helped you on previous tests.

I will say to nail down test taking strategy, that will be helpful no matter how you study, since I saw a lot of "tricky" questions on the test.

She says that because people use flashcards to do rote memorization, and they will be "cued" by the card (your handwriting, the color of the card, how you worded the answer or question, order of the cards, etc, etc).

But I used flashcards and passed from my first time, so it's up to you. I handed mine off to friends/family members, so once I made them, i didn't see them much as they were the ones quizzing me. Also, I hand wrote all my notes, and then hand wrote the flashcards, so having to write it out a second time and make myself recall the answer was also helpful. I also didn't buy the psychprep audio (which was recommended over and over and over) because I can't do audio only learning and I hated her voice lol and I also didn't buy any recorded sessions or weekend workshops.
I think there are many different ways to study so think back to what helped you on previous tests.

I will say to nail down test taking strategy, that will be helpful no matter how you study, since I saw a lot of "tricky" questions on the test.
That was key for me - I made all of my own flashcards... I designed the questions myself which forced me to engage with the content.