Equine externships - need recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meadow36

UF CVM 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow I haven't been on here in ages. :) I'm wondering if anybody has good reviews/experiences that they would like to share in relation to equine externships. I have a few set up already (Peterson and Smith, Ocala Equine, TN Equine) but would like to add a few more.

Generally I would like to stay on the east coast or southeast; I may also consider Texas. My main interests are sporthorse/lameness, ambulatory and internal medicine.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow I haven't been on here in ages. :) I'm wondering if anybody has good reviews/experiences that they would like to share in relation to equine externships. I have a few set up already (Peterson and Smith, Ocala Equine, TN Equine) but would like to add a few more.

Generally I would like to stay on the east coast or southeast; I may also consider Texas. My main interests are sporthorse/lameness, ambulatory and internal medicine.

Thanks in advance!

New England Equine Medical & Surgical center
They are awesome, do some great medicine, the most beautiful area ever.

BUT- they tend to book externships 1.5 years in advance. I booked last September-ish, and the soonest they had open was this coming summer.

If you're interested in sports medicine, you should really try to visit Dr. Allen's practice (Virginia Equine Imaging) in Middleburg. It's a very different business model from your normal practice, and you don't get to do much hands-on as an extern except jog and lunge horses, but I learned a lot while I was there. They may be completely booked by now as it tends to fill up quickly, but definitely try to check them out. :)

Woodside Equine outside of Richmond, VA has one of the few full-time medicine folks that I know of in VA and NC. They do a fair amount of lameness/sports medicine as well.

Both practices have internships. :)

I assume you're an AAEP member? I use their avenues website pretty heavily. I've visited (or know about) most of the practices in NC and VA, so if you have any questions about anywhere in particular, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks in advance!

I am a pre-vet but I volunteered at ocala equine hospital for a few months and really enjoyed it there. All of the technicians, interns, and doctors are very nice and they have alot to offer. I have also heard that they offer extremely generous wages for interns so definetly keep them in mind.

I also used the AAEP Avenues website to narrow down the huge list of clinics that offer externships. It sounds like you have some good criteria to work with (location, interests) so the Avenues website will help you do your homework and see where else will be a good fit! (I have some booked but haven't been anywhere yet so I can't help you personally but this is what I did to pick where to go)

Agree with Ben and Me - HIGHLY recommend VEI. I learned SO much in the 2 weeks that I was there, and it's knowledge that has stuck with me - mostly in learning to see very subtle lamenesses. I went to Woodside too, and really liked it there. And of course Rood and Riddle and Hagyard are fabulous, but outside your chosen area.

Does anyone know the differences between Rood and Riddle and Hagyard in terms of personal experiences?

Has anyone heard anything about the 1-week Veterinary Skills Practicum offered at Peterson & Smith? It looks like a pretty fantastic opportunity to get hands-on experience doing lots of different basic procedures, but I'd rather hear some positive reviews of it before I drop an extra $900 to do it.

Or if anyone has any general recommendations either way about Peterson & Smith, that would be helpful too...

Has anyone heard anything about the 1-week Veterinary Skills Practicum offered at Peterson & Smith? It looks like a pretty fantastic opportunity to get hands-on experience doing lots of different basic procedures, but I'd rather hear some positive reviews of it before I drop an extra $900 to do it.

Or if anyone has any general recommendations either way about Peterson & Smith, that would be helpful too...

One of our AAEP members went to the practicum last year and said they really enjoyed it and learned a ton. This year a whole group is going, so obviously it made a positive impact up here in the corn fields.