1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

ER books worth my time

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by RobbingReality, May 29, 2008.

1. RobbingReality

10+ Year Member

What book(s) should I spend my time reading in preparation for my ER rotation?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  4. nymbarra

nymbarra In flux
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it helps to have a good book to read at home, as well as a pocketbook for when you are on shift. Tarascon has a good pocketbook that will fit into scrub pockets. For reading, maybe one that specifically targets students would be good. I don't think that you need to read Tintinalli or Rosen, unless you have access already and have the time.

In addition, some institutions will have a reading packet for students. UCLA has a good one.

Haven't read the PIMP Protector (there goes honoring the SDN rotation...), but concise presentations--with pertinent positives and negatives--are key in EM. Also make sure you have a good top 3 list of differentials and that you're able to discuss them.

Good luck and PM if you have questions.

5. bartleby

bartleby Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Emergency Medicine Secrets is concise enough that you will actually be able to read it in time for a single rotation and covers a lot of the high points. Even the Tintinalli Pocket book is too dense to be readable.

6. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Nice plugs...

When I was a medical student way back in the the stone ages before google, I used to read "First Aid for Emergency Medicine." I found it had just enough info for me to grasp what was going on. Plus it was a good review for Step 2.

Of course, PIMP Protector wasn't even thought about at the time, but that would be a great book! :)

Q

7. cabruen

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  8. Universe_Explorer

Universe_Explorer Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I highly recommend Case Files Emergency Medicine and the use of the EMRA pocket guide and/or Tarascon's Pocket EM. Also, an EKG book (I like Garcia's "Introduction to 12-lead ECG, the art of interpretation") helps a lot.

I used the Case Files series for pretty much every clinical rotation and found them to be an easy-to-read solution to "reading about your patients" after a long shift.

9. Dunce

Dunce Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    any other suggestions for a surgery intern rotating through the ER for a month?

10. SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I hear that people like the NMS book (there are two, and I believe the smaller of the two is the favorite). I bought Tintinalli: Just the Facts. I know it's long, but I read fairly quickly.

11. deuist

deuist Stealthfully Sarcastic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've heard good things about An Introduction to Clinical Emergency Medicine (ISBN: 0521542596 ). I've read the first 100 or so pages and have to say that it's really good.

12. sleepymed

sleepymed The white Hard24Get
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    hmm...i believe i gave a certain someone advice about this book... in fact i think that same certain someone may have a copy of that book with my name on it...

i agree... i like it a lot, it's perfect for a medical student; although i feel like it might be a little too simplistic for residency; still a good read, I managed to get through almost all of it i believe

13. SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Who could that be:confused: