ER in the UK?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by arye, May 25, 2008.

  1. arye

    arye New Member
    2+ Year Member

    May 26, 2006
    Likes Received:
    i would like to know if ER residency in the UK is the same like in the US ?

    how would u apply for an ER residency in the UK?

  2. leorl

    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

    Jan 2, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Attending Physician
    It's not like the US, because the whole system of residency is different in the UK. I'm not exactly sure how it would be in the UK, but it would be similar to the Irish system.
    First, you'd have to complete your internship (or foundation years in the UK which is 2 years). Then you'd procede to 2 years of general professional training which is either done by arranging your own pertinent 6 month-1 year positions, or by applying to an AE (accident and emergency) SHO training scheme. Once those 2-3 years are completed, then you would have to apply for Higher Specialty Training (registrar years) in AE, which in Ireland is about 5 years. So therefore you're looking at about 10+ years in total to become a consultant in AE, with your membership exams along the way.
  3. FionaS

    FionaS Kitty sitting
    10+ Year Member

    Nov 18, 2000
    Likes Received:
    Resident [Any Field]
    MMC will tell you the answers (or at least, give you new acronyms to be confused about). Google MMC (modernising medical careers).

    In short - you graduate from medical school. You do foundation year 1, after which you have full registration with the GMC. Then you do foundation year 2. Try to make sure that you do an A&E job in F2, failing that in F1.

    During F2, you apply for ACCS (EM) - acute care common stem (EM theme). This is 2 years of EM, Acute Med, ICU and Anaesthetics. Usually 6/12 of each. During this time you're called an ST or CT1 and 2 (specialty/core training years 1 & 2). Then, at the moment anyway, you have another competitive entry into ST3 onwards, which is runthrough up to consultant grade.

    Exams are done during the ST/CT years, although quite a few people recommend taking part A of the MCEM during F2.

    So, in summary:
    F2 with an EM post if possible, possibly part A MCEM
    ST3 (If I remember correctly, you need to have the full MCEM by the end of ST3)
    ST4 onwards. Somewhere you have to sit the FCEM.

    College of Emergency Medicine website is reasonably useful also.

    No idea how this compares to the US system!

    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page