ER Tech or Patient Care Assistant Job???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ER Tech or Patient Care Assistant

• ER Tech

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Patient Care Assistant

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Dr. Anonymouss

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to receive job offers for both of these positions and I am not sure which to take. They are both very patient oriented, but I am not sure which may appeal more to admissions committees and/or have more job satisfaction. The pay ranges are very similar so I would assume the only thing to consider is job satisfaction/quality of patient interaction. I appreciate all feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, PCAs usually are limited to taking vitals and performing EKGs. Depending on the state, techs have a scope of practice analogous to EMTs and can even place lines, conduct phlebotomy, Foleys, arterial blood gas measurements, etc. It's a steep learning curve but definitely an extremely formative learning experience. I vote tech

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@Newyear
Anything in the ER should give you a decent amount of patient contact, even if you were just a volunteer (in my experience). Both are respectable positions so it will be a nice addition to your resume! When are you applying for schools?
June 1st. I will be working 40 hours a week in either one of these positions so I should have close to 1000 hours of clinical exposure by the time of my application.

June 1st. I will be working 40 hours a week in either one of these positions so I should have close to 1000 hours of clinical exposure by the time of my application.
I took my MCAT in august and got a 505 and I graduate in December and my GPA right now is 3.89. I believe my academics are more than strong enough to solidify a position, what I want to do now is strengthen everything that is non-academic with my application. Dream school is NOVA.