ER Tech or Patient Care Assistant Job???

Started by Dr. Anonymouss
Tags Tags
jobs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ER Tech or Patient Care Assistant

  • ER Tech

    Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Patient Care Assistant

    Votes: 1 8.3%

  • Total voters
    12

Dr. Anonymouss

Anesthesiology Resident
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was fortunate enough to receive job offers for both of these positions and I am not sure which to take. They are both very patient oriented, but I am not sure which may appeal more to admissions committees and/or have more job satisfaction. The pay ranges are very similar so I would assume the only thing to consider is job satisfaction/quality of patient interaction. I appreciate all feedback!
 
In my experience, PCAs usually are limited to taking vitals and performing EKGs. Depending on the state, techs have a scope of practice analogous to EMTs and can even place lines, conduct phlebotomy, Foleys, arterial blood gas measurements, etc. It's a steep learning curve but definitely an extremely formative learning experience. I vote tech
 
@Newyear
Anything in the ER should give you a decent amount of patient contact, even if you were just a volunteer (in my experience). Both are respectable positions so it will be a nice addition to your resume! When are you applying for schools?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Newyear
Anything in the ER should give you a decent amount of patient contact, even if you were just a volunteer (in my experience). Both are respectable positions so it will be a nice addition to your resume! When are you applying for schools?
June 1st. I will be working 40 hours a week in either one of these positions so I should have close to 1000 hours of clinical exposure by the time of my application.
 
June 1st. I will be working 40 hours a week in either one of these positions so I should have close to 1000 hours of clinical exposure by the time of my application.
I took my MCAT in august and got a 505 and I graduate in December and my GPA right now is 3.89. I believe my academics are more than strong enough to solidify a position, what I want to do now is strengthen everything that is non-academic with my application. Dream school is NOVA.