ERAS Interview Sharing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neopolymath

Renaissance Man
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, good luck this application cycle! I hope you all aren't too stressed. I can't wait to hear how everyone does.

I have some food for thought. It's well known that DO schools often have rotation attendance policies in place that can pose a problem during interview season. Due to these policies, many students choose to wisely negotiate days off for interviews with their attendings and leave their school out of the loop. Without paranoia but with self-preservation in mind, I recommend not electing to share ERAS interview calendar information with your Dean's office or school. This creates a paper trail showing that you are taking too many days off to interview if you are at a school with these types of policies in place and someone starts snooping around. You have no recourse and even worse could be caught in a lie of omission.

As always, admin should be treated like mushrooms. Feed them **** and keep them in the dark.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
My school made the suggestion that we need LESS time off this cycle since it’s virtual. Smh

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
First of all, good luck this application cycle! I hope you all aren't too stressed. I can't wait to hear how everyone does.

I have some food for thought. It's well known that DO schools often have rotation attendance policies in place that can pose a problem during interview season. Due to these policies, many students choose to wisely negotiate days off for interviews with their attendings and leave their school out of the loop. Without paranoia but with self-preservation in mind, I recommend not electing to share ERAS interview calendar information with your Dean's office or school. This creates a paper trail showing that you are taking too many days off to interview if you are at a school with these types of policies in place and someone starts snooping around. You have no recourse and even worse could be caught in a lie of omission.

As always, admin should be treated like mushrooms. Feed them **** and keep them in the dark.
Interesting thought. The question ERAS asks is if you'd give them "permission to view your application." I'm not sure if they'd have access to your calendar or other personal information like that but you can never go wrong with just leaving them in the dark

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting thought. The question ERAS asks is if you'd give them "permission to view your application." I'm not sure if they'd have access to your calendar or other personal information like that but you can never go wrong with just leaving them in the dark
I am basing this off of the eras email regarding this feature. To paraphrase, I believe it mentions sharing the information with your deans so that they may help you strategize on your interviews using the new integrated eras interview calendar in which you can add interviews that were accepted and scheduled from other applications rather than just directly in eras.

Reactions: 1 user
OK, I'll be honest: I read your thread title, and my brain exploded a bit.

I assumed this thread was going to ask whether, if your friend gets an interview at a program and you don't, if it's OK to hang out with them for the virtual interview and then somehow get the PD's attention and say "I've been here the whole time, basically interviewed, will you consider me also?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
OK, I'll be honest: I read your thread title, and my brain exploded a bit.

I assumed this thread was going to ask whether, if your friend gets an interview at a program and you don't, if it's OK to hang out with them for the virtual interview and then somehow get the PD's attention and say "I've been here the whole time, basically interviewed, will you consider me also?

1602819897012.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
*cries in MD students get like 3 months of 4th year vacation*

Reactions: 7 users
*cries in MD students get like 3 months of 4th year vacation*

We get 6 weeks of personal time off in 4th year for things like board prep, interviews and vacation. So if I need 2 weeks off to study for boards in the summer, I only have 4 weeks left to use the rest of the year for interviews (and I can't just take a day off, it has to be the whole week because somehow they expect me to magically schedule a bunch of interviews in a single week) and maybe spending a holiday with my family. It's amazing how little common sense seems to exist at the medical education admin level and how it's significantly worse with DO school admin.

Reactions: 6 users
We get 6 weeks of personal time off in 4th year for things like board prep, interviews and vacation. So if I need 2 weeks off to study for boards in the summer, I only have 4 weeks left to use the rest of the year for interviews (and I can't just take a day off, it has to be the whole week because somehow they expect me to magically schedule a bunch of interviews in a single week) and maybe spending a holiday with my family. It's amazing how little common sense seems to exist at the medical education admin level and how it's significantly worse with DO school admin.
try to work your holidays during 3rd year (winter break and the summer break between M3/M4). my winter elective they barely made me come in but i got credit for 2 weeks, also got credit for a 2 week virtual elective between M3/M4. work more now so you can get time back later.

also for the love of god don't tell your school every time you take off from rotations for interviews. find a chill rotation/preceptor who will allow you to take off and will not report it.

Reactions: 1 user
try to work your holidays during 3rd year (winter break and the summer break between M3/M4). my winter elective they barely made me come in but i got credit for 2 weeks, also got credit for a 2 week virtual elective between M3/M4. work more now so you can get time back later.

also for the love of god don't tell your school every time you take off from rotations for interviews. find a chill rotation/preceptor who will allow you to take off and will not report it.
We actually get 4 weeks off from the school for third year winter break and 2 weeks off before graduation where we aren’t allowed to be on rotation. They gave us this time over winter break for “board prep” (never mind that most of us have only had half of our required rotations by then and will still be about 6 months out from boards but whatevs). Our third year rotations go through the end of June so I am planning on taking boards as early in July as possible. Definitely will be scheduling rotations with chill preceptors during interview season and just working it out quietly with them.