ERAS 'Publications' Listing FAQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If a project came out of work with a student org, how does that org get listed? Would is be just a standard experience entry for student org work and then a separate research experience entry?
Yes. But this would look more legit if you have an abstract/publication for this project. If it's one of those things where you just collected data on some volunteering that your org does but don't actually have any plans to publish this data, then I think it's questionable whether that truly counts as research.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. But this would look more legit if you have an abstract/publication for this project. If it's one of those things where you just collected data on some volunteering that your org does but don't actually have any plans to publish this data, then I think it's questionable whether that truly counts as research.

The manuscript is pending final approval for publication and we have gotten several poster presentations out of it.

Then yes. List it in both places.

Would I list the poster presentation as well? So I'd be putting a pub entry, poster entry, and research experience entry? And then list the student org as work experience or whatever it goes under?

@GoSpursGo thanks for answering all the questions. I had two recent manuscripts which were recently accepted. They're currently in the "in-press" phase, and have not been pubmed indexed, and most likely won't be until the end of the year. As such, I don't have the PMID, volume, index, or page numbers. Is it frowned upon to listed in under the first section of the "published research" rather than the "other than published" section?
I think you can justifiably list them as published and just put "in-press" for any information you don't yet have.

So to be clear, I can list the student org as a volunteer experience and put the subsequent research work we did with the org as a research experience? I do not want to double dip but we did do a lot of student org work outside of research.

So to be clear, I can list the student org as a volunteer experience and put the subsequent research work we did with the org as a research experience? I do not want to double dip but we did do a lot of student org work outside of research.
Again... yes.

Agree, it doesn't seem like you ever received any feedback or review and it was just summarily posted online. Honestly not sure it should be listed as a publication at all--seems more like a major school assignment that happens to be posted online--but if you want to it should not be listed as peer reviewed.
It went through reviews by my faculty adviser and four other members of my committee, three of whom are experts in the field, and the other is a respected Professor of the institution (he is a director of the MD/PhD program). I went through many revisions before it was accepted to be submitted to the Digital Commons.

It went through reviews by my faculty adviser and four other members of my committee, three of whom are experts in the field, and the other is a respected Professor of the institution (he is a director of the MD/PhD program). I went through many revisions before it was accepted to be submitted to the Digital Commons.

Again, none of that is peer review. In peer review an official journal submits the work to unbiased, outside, anonymous reviewers. Having several faculty at your own institution review it does not make it a peer reviewed publication.

Again, none of that is peer review. In peer review an official journal submits the work to unbiased, outside, anonymous reviewers. Having several faculty at your own institution review it does not make it a peer reviewed publication.
I see. Thanks for clarifying

Just going to echo that's not peer review. As the other user said, peer review involves someone outside your institution who doesn't have an underlying interest in your success and will just judge the work on its scientific merit. I'm not saying that your work is NOT legit or meritorious, but it hasn't gone through this peer review process.

Sorry if this has been addressed previously. But where should submitted case reports to non-peer reviewed journals be categorized? Since they do not fit the "Peer reviewed journals/abstracts (other than published)"?

Should these be placed under research experiences instead? Would it be disingenuous to categorize it as listed above?

Sorry if this has been addressed previously. But where should submitted case reports to non-peer reviewed journals be categorized? Since they do not fit the "Peer reviewed journals/abstracts (other than published)"?

Should these be placed under research experiences instead? Would it be disingenuous to categorize it as listed above?
Yes, it would be disingenuous to list something as peer-reviewed if it was not.

Probably either "Other articles" or "Non-peer reviewed online publication"

Yes, it would be disingenuous to list something as peer-reviewed if it was not.

Probably either "Other articles" or "Non-peer reviewed online publication"

Thank you. As this the manuscript has only been submitted and not accepted yet, would it still be feasible to put it under "Other articles" or "non-peer reviewed online publication?" Should I specifically say that it was submitted and not yet accepted and for the "publication date:" I can enter the date it was submitted?

Thanks for your help!

Thank you. As this the manuscript has only been submitted and not accepted yet, would it still be feasible to put it under "Other articles" or "non-peer reviewed online publication?" Should I specifically say that it was submitted and not yet accepted and for the "publication date:" I can enter the date it was submitted?

Thanks for your help!
If there is no formal way to mark a publication as merely "submitted" then I wouldn't list it.

Any opinions on including or not including the following under "research experience";

1. Contributed to research by summarizing articles with groups of students with the intent to collaborate and create a paper but said project sort of "fizzled out" and never became anything

2. Have established becoming a research assistant for a prominent doctor and have JUST begun to help him with research and possibly will be co-author for a paper in the future, but it is just in the works so still only have a very broad topic

My initial reaction was not to include any of this, but I've read to include stuff even if it hasn't lead to anything. I don't have all that much research experience otherwise. I don't want to "fluff" my application but wonder if I'm honest in my descriptions on ERAS if it's worth it or would just look bad.

Any opinions on including or not including the following under "research experience";

1. Contributed to research by summarizing articles with groups of students with the intent to collaborate and create a paper but said project sort of "fizzled out" and never became anything

2. Have established becoming a research assistant for a prominent doctor and have JUST begun to help him with research and possibly will be co-author for a paper in the future, but it is just in the works so still only have a very broad topic

My initial reaction was not to include any of this, but I've read to include stuff even if it hasn't lead to anything. I don't have all that much research experience otherwise. I don't want to "fluff" my application but wonder if I'm honest in my descriptions on ERAS if it's worth it or would just look bad.
No to the first one. The second one can be listed as a research experience.

Apologies if this has been answered already. I am applying radiology this cycle and recently had a Case in Point submission accepted pending completion of the necessary forms. I am wondering what I should list this under in the ERAS application, and if I can do so as provisionally accepted as the editor stated in his email that it may take up to 6 months to be published.

Apologies if this has been answered already. I am applying radiology this cycle and recently had a Case in Point submission accepted pending completion of the necessary forms. I am wondering what I should list this under in the ERAS application, and if I can do so as provisionally accepted as the editor stated in his email that it may take up to 6 months to be published.
I think that's reasonable.

Hi all, I'm getting mixed messages about whether it's okay to include oral and poster research presentations that weren't presented at regional/national/international conferences, but were part of research fellowships I completed in this section of ERAS.
-Example: T35 NIH grant-funded immunology research in med school, presented at program-specific poster and oral presentation session through my med school...okay to include?

I have a few articles I wrote that were published in undergraduate journals from my college days. Should I list these under non-peer reviewed online articles or other articles?

Is it even worth listing these publications? I have a few other from peer-reviewed journals already...and it seems adding these articles from undergraduate non-peer reviewed journals is just fluff.

Thanks for the advice!! Good luck all!

I think you can justifiably list them as published and just put "in-press" for any information you don't yet have.
Hello can you please clarify on the difference between putting articles such as these in the others category as "in press" or putting them as published and writing instead "in-press" in the doi, volume, etc...

Hi all, I'm getting mixed messages about whether it's okay to include oral and poster research presentations that weren't presented at regional/national/international conferences, but were part of research fellowships I completed in this section of ERAS.
-Example: T35 NIH grant-funded immunology research in med school, presented at program-specific poster and oral presentation session through my med school...okay to include?

That's fine. I've seen people write lectures they gave (to med students, residents, etc) as 'oral presentations', which is not the purpose. If you gave a legitimate oral presentation locally, you can add it under oral presentations--just make sure to indicate where the presentation was given.

This is kind of the whole point of programs having a "med school research day," to let people add fluff to their CVs. But that's what it is--fluff. So you can if it's all you got, and it proves that you were able to talk about it in a semi-coherent way and weren't just playing with pipettes for a summer, but it's the bottom-of-the-barrel when it comes to a research presentation.
I also have an article that was recently published in Cureus, but still awaiting PubMed indexing (the journal says it takes 2 months). Can I write "pending" in the PMID section? Thank you so much.
Yes
I have a few articles I wrote that were published in undergraduate journals from my college days. Should I list these under non-peer reviewed online articles or other articles?

Is it even worth listing these publications? I have a few other from peer-reviewed journals already...and it seems adding these articles from undergraduate non-peer reviewed journals is just fluff.

Thanks for the advice!! Good luck all!
I think you explained the crux of your question accurately--yes, you can list those publications, but run the risk of making it more difficult to pick out the truly relevant publications that you would rather talk about in an interview setting. Really only you can say whether those undergrad publications are worth continuing to include.
Hello can you please clarify on the difference between putting articles such as these in the others category as "in press" or putting them as published and writing instead "in-press" in the doi, volume, etc...
It's been a while since I've used ERAS myself. If there's some sort of instruction that "in-press" articles should be listed under "Other," then do that. I don't think it really matters as long as it's clear that it's been accepted to a legit journal.

If I presented an abstract at a school research day (oral w/ handouts, no "poster") and then presented the poster later at a national meeting, should I list them as separate entries under Publications on ERAS? I was a finalist in the school event and I listed that in my awards so I feel like it'd be strange to not have any mention of that among the rest of the research entries

That national meeting publishes their abstracts in a supplement of their journal, and I was told that since obviously not all abstracts sent in were selected, I could list it as a peer-reviewed publication and just specify it was an abstract. Does that work?

It's been a while since I've used ERAS myself. If there's some sort of instruction that "in-press" articles should be listed under "Other," then do that. I don't think it really matters as long as it's clear that it's been accepted to a legit journal.

Oh okay thanks!

Hi everyone, I apologize if this has been addressed already, but I did a platform presentation for SAEM and the abstract was subsequently listed in a supplement addition of 'academic emergency medicine' along with all of the other abstracts. Does this count as a peer-reviewed publication?

Hi everyone, I apologize if this has been addressed already, but I did a platform presentation for SAEM and the abstract was subsequently listed in a supplement addition of 'academic emergency medicine' along with all of the other abstracts. Does this count as a peer-reviewed publication?
according to my advisor, yes

I am on a poster presentation that was presented at a conference, but I did not attend the conference personally to present the poster. The abstract version of this poster presentation was then published in the supplemental addition to a peer-reviewed journal.

Do I count this as a poster presentation, abstract publication or both? I currently have it as a poster presentation, even though I did not attend the conference. Also this abstract pub/poster presentation then went on to be published as a manuscript, so I didn't want to put down both the manuscript and the abstract as 2 "peer-reviewed journal/abstract publications" because I felt this was resume padding.

Any advice?? thank you!

Reactions: 2 users
What is the consensus for capitalization of manuscript/abstract title vs. presentation/poster titles? Presentations seem to always have all words capitalized, but I'm not sure which is correct. For manuscripts I usually keep it to AMA format with just first word capitalized.

@aProgDirector and others, I just went ahead and certified my application. I also applied to all my saved programs and just paid the bill, however when I go to the "assigned reports" page of ERAS none of the programs have my application forwarded to them. Will this be happening tomorrow at 9:00am? I was under the impression they would still receive the applications early but it would be time stamped as 9:00am EST.
This is my least favorite thread of all time. And this post doesn't belong here.

We don't get anything until tomorrow.

Reactions: 3 users
I am on a poster presentation that was presented at a conference, but I did not attend the conference personally to present the poster. The abstract version of this poster presentation was then published in the supplemental addition to a peer-reviewed journal.

Do I count this as a poster presentation, abstract publication or both? I currently have it as a poster presentation, even though I did not attend the conference. Also this abstract pub/poster presentation then went on to be published as a manuscript, so I didn't want to put down both the manuscript and the abstract as 2 "peer-reviewed journal/abstract publications" because I felt this was resume padding.

Any advice?? thank you!
Definitely not 2 peer-reviewed journal/abstract pubs. I consider it a stretch to call these abstracts that are "published" as a supplement as an actual publication at all, let alone if you have an actual separate manuscript describing the same findings. Poster+pub, and move on with your life.
What is the consensus for capitalization of manuscript/abstract title vs. presentation/poster titles? Presentations seem to always have all words capitalized, but I'm not sure which is correct. For manuscripts I usually keep it to AMA format with just first word capitalized.
Literally does not matter. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but different people will do what they personally think is best, and nobody is going to care either way, so just pick one.

Not applying this year, but figured this thread was the best place for this question: I have a publication in Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Medicine, but I'm not really sure how to properly categorize it. The process for publication is a bit weird, here's how they describe it:

Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Medicine is a monthly online publication comprising reviews on different aspects of a variety of diseases, covering everything from the molecular and cellular bases of disease to translational medicine and new therapeutic strategies. The contributions are written by experts in each field and commissioned as Subject Collections by a board of eminent scientists and physicians, all of whom are acknowledged to be key figures in their particular fields. These Subject Collections gradually accumulate articles as new issues of the journal are published and, when complete, each represents a comprehensive survey of the field it covers.

So it's somewhere between a journal article and a book chapter (published individually online, but the subject collection is also published as a physical book). It goes through a review process but it's not blinded (done by the editors/relevant experts) so I'm not sure if that's considered the same as typical blinded peer review. I can confirm that the "eminent scientists and physicians" are indeed well respected experts in the subject I published on (my PI is the expert who was commissioned, not me, but I am first author on the article). How would this best be categorized?

I'm not sure what you're asking about specifically, but I'm going to suggest "Experiences" and you can talk about your AMA advocacy.

Be aware that a plurality (if not outright majority) of physicians consider the AMA to be at best a joke, and at worst, working in active opposition to their livelihood. So tread lightly.
Can you expand on this point or provide some context/support?

I know this perhaps will be seen by some as silly, but I have no scientific publications and I need help.

I was a BA, and I had a writing piece published in my university’s literary journal. Then, it was published in a book.
Am I allowed to include this literary publication on ERAS?

Second, I have had photography and writing published in my medical school’s literary journal. Is that also allowed to be included? Or are both just not academic enough?

Hey guys, part of my job before med school was editing surgical videos for conferences and eTextbooks. I didn't do any of the presentations and they were sometimes connected to published articles or abstracts. Some were big projects that I'd really like to include, but I also have ~10 small video clips published that I'm concerned might look like bloat. Any guidelines for online textbooks?

I know this perhaps will be seen by some as silly, but I have no scientific publications and I need help.

I was a BA, and I had a writing piece published in my university’s literary journal. Then, it was published in a book.
Am I allowed to include this literary publication on ERAS?

Second, I have had photography and writing published in my medical school’s literary journal. Is that also allowed to be included? Or are both just not academic enough?

The piece that made it into a book can be cited as such. The other is probably just a non-peer reviewed, (online?) publication. It's kind of fluff-ish, but if you otherwise would have nothing in the section then you don't need to worry about it obscuring other more "legit" publications, and there's some chance that someone will think it's cool enough to talk about in an interview. In any case, I don't think it will hurt you.

Hey guys, part of my job before med school was editing surgical videos for conferences and eTextbooks. I didn't do any of the presentations and they were sometimes connected to published articles or abstracts. Some were big projects that I'd really like to include, but I also have ~10 small video clips published that I'm concerned might look like bloat. Any guidelines for online textbooks?
Bottom line is whether you are actually an author on any of these projects. If yes, then cite yourself. If not, then I think this is probably just part of the description for your job under employment history.

Reactions: 2 users
Would I list posters that were presented at national conferences that list me as a co-author, although I did not attend those conferences?

Would I list posters that were presented at national conferences that list me as a co-author, although I did not attend those conferences?
At this stage in your career, definitely yes. Later in your career probably not, but right now quantity is what's important (ie you're probably not worried about a poster where you're 4th author distracting from your NEJM paper).

Hello All!

I have a question regarding research on ERAS. Over the last 6 months, me and a couple other medical students helped a senior resident and a program director process data for a research project. It was probably 1-2 months of data crunching work that ended with a presentation and a submission to journals to be published. Our names were on the project, but this was the residents project so they presented etc. What would be the best way to document this on ERAS?

-MB

Hello All!

I have a question regarding research on ERAS. Over the last 6 months, me and a couple other medical students helped a senior resident and a program director process data for a research project. It was probably 1-2 months of data crunching work that ended with a presentation and a submission to journals to be published. Our names were on the project, but this was the residents project so they presented etc. What would be the best way to document this on ERAS?

-MB
Merging with an existing thread for this exact kind of question.

Was there an abstract/poster associated with the presentation, and if so, were you listed as co-authors? If so, then you list it as a poster/oral presentation and mark the resident as the presenting author. Similarly, if you're listed as an author on the publication then you can list that provided that it is accepted by 9/15.

If you're not an author anywhere, then this is just a research experience. Explain exactly what you did and that it contributed to these presentations/publications.

Merging with an existing thread for this exact kind of question.

Was there an abstract/poster associated with the presentation, and if so, were you listed as co-authors? If so, then you list it as a poster/oral presentation and mark the resident as the presenting author. Similarly, if you're listed as an author on the publication then you can list that provided that it is accepted by 9/15.

If you're not an author anywhere, then this is just a research experience. Explain exactly what you did and that it contributed to these presentations/publications.
Thank you, this clarifies the situation perfectly!

Where do I list a non-peer reviewed prominent surgical textbook chapter that has been accepted but this new edition has not been published yet?

Also, where do I list awards received in residency?

Thank you

Where do I list a non-peer reviewed prominent surgical textbook chapter that has been accepted but this new edition has not been published yet?

Also, where do I list awards received in residency?

Thank you
Im pretty sure textbook/book chapters have an entry under publications. And there should be an area for awards/honors/etc.

I have a question regarding where to put one of my publications. One of my publications was accepted in June and was today published on the journals website as an "online first" edition. From what I understand this means this is the final form of my article and is available online until the next edition of the journal is officially printed and published. The online version has a DOI but does not have a volume/issue number yet

Would I list this under Peer reviewed journal article, peer reviewed journal (other than published), or peer reviewed online publication? Thanks

I have a question regarding where to put one of my publications. One of my publications was accepted in June and was today published on the journals website as an "online first" edition. From what I understand this means this is the final form of my article and is available online until the next edition of the journal is officially printed and published. The online version has a DOI but does not have a volume/issue number yet

Would I list this under Peer reviewed journal article, peer reviewed journal (other than published), or peer reviewed online publication? Thanks
Peer reviewed journal article. Congratulations!

Peer reviewed journal article. Congratulations!

Thanks for your reply!
I guess my concern was that some it’s in an “online first” edition tentatively , there is currently no volume or issue number for me to cite, and if I select peer reviewed article on eras, it asks for that specific information. Which is why I was thinking it would maybe go under peer reviewed (other than published) section. But at the same time, the article is eventually going to be officially published with a volume and issue number - I’m just unsure when .