ERAS 'Publications' Listing FAQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Abstracts.
By abstracts do you mean "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published)"?
I ask because it seem wrong to list a poster presentation in something that says peer reviewed, but it's the only option for abstracts (other than Published)

Members don't see this ad.

By abstracts do you mean "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published)"?
I ask because it seem wrong to list a poster presentation in something that says peer reviewed, but it's the only option for abstracts (other than Published)

If you just had an abstract accepted, then you need to put it as whatever it was accepted as (oral presentation? poster presentation?).

If you just had an abstract accepted, then you need to put it as whatever it was accepted as (oral presentation? poster presentation?).
I was asking in reference to abstracts that were accepted for poster presentations. I presented my own poster, but the other posters were presented by other medical students with me listed in the authorship. What is the ideal way to list all of those?

I wouldn't list them. I would just mention them in the description of the research experience.

If I have assisted on multiple research projects from different PIs from the same organization, should I list these are individual research experiences or just one research experience?

Thanks in advance!

Hey all,

For the research experiences section: If you had the same experience, aka data collection for inguinal hernia patients all year, but your team presented several non-published studies to several conferences from the same data you collected and you're stuck to put them in your experiences section rather than publications section because you didn't present them - can you make an individual experience for each study at each conference? Even though it's all from the same database you made, and technically the same experience you had? I'm asking because there's no way I can fit all of the titles of the studies in just one description box. Thanks in advance.

Also, if you present something at your home school's research day, and at the same research day someone else is presenting a project with your name on it - can you put that person's presentation under "poster presentations" since you were there? Or do you actually need to present it? Thanks!

I had a couple of quick questions that I didn't come across in the thread so far:

1) I have a couple of articles published in the online medical journal Cureus. These are listed on PubMed and have a PMID associated with them. I was not sure to list them as 'Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts' or 'Peer Reviewed Online Publications'. The latter makes most sense at first glance, but does not allow entry of information such as PMID, Volume/Issue etc.

2) I have some articles that have been accepted for publication (Epub ahead of print) with no associated volume/issue numbers as of yet, but they are indexed on PubMed and have an associated PMID. Should I list them as 'Peer Reviewed Journal Article/Abstract' or 'Peer Reviewed Journal Article/Abstract - Other than Published'. Again, I do not have a volume/issue number for these articles so I would have to put 'N/A' for them if I put them in the first category but the latter does not have any space to enter a PMID.

This system is kind of archaic for how journals index and make articles available for viewing prior to publication in an online version nowadays.

Thanks for any help!

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask for your honest input regarding the following scenarios:
Scenario 1: A publication was preceded by two poster presentations (I was the presenter for both.) The posters are slightly different: Poster 1 presented the initial data, whereas poster 2 had newer data and directly preceded the manuscript

Poster 1 - presented at more reputable conference (e.g. American Heart Association)
Poster 2 - presented at less reputable conference BUT won a poster award

A) Delete all poster presentations and list them under research experience since paper is published
B) Go with the more reputable conference OR the award-winning poster
C) List both poster presentations: versions 1 AND 2

Scenario 2: Poster presentation in medical education with so many co-authors that I am number 20+ or so (The authors were sorted by alphabet and I did not present.)

A) List under ”Volunteer experiences”
B) List as “poster”: and leave out my name - “Author 1, et al.”

I hope you can bear with this long post! Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Hi, just wanted to quickly ask:

Is it okay to write down a case report that I will be submitting to a journal sometime toward the end of this month or next month, but since applications are going out soon, I put it down under the Publications section as "submitted" anyway?

The report will definitely be submitted, just not now at this moment.

Hi, just wanted to quickly ask:

Is it okay to write down a case report that I will be submitting to a journal sometime toward the end of this month or next month, but since applications are going out soon, I put it down under the Publications section as "submitted" anyway?

The report will definitely be submitted, just not now at this moment.
No. You can only include things that have been published or accepted for publication as publications. If you want, you can list your work on the case report as a research activity and mention that you'll be submitting a manuscript for publication soon. It is, however, not a publication yet.

ERAS says to list authors in this format:
OisdhwvgjRfBPMJ5xLDXQVQCXf4plN_35zSl7y12F4pBsXd_91SUm_fa2FLMYpa036SnxFK7umfjdTBXWsDI2M5VB8QekXSWKBfC5Bt1Wz6Ww1XPiNRpDxnP9GvjxiUQ6SyPOFsG

This is the oddest thing I've ever seen, with all the periods and the ampersands. So, the authorship will look like: Appleseed, J.M., & Washington, G., & Carson, J.H.

Is this odd format required?

I know it's really odd - I would go with your intuition and just use whatever formatting looks acceptable to read on the CV. (Use the preview function)
For example I went with:
Appleseed, JM; Washington, G; Carson, JH.

I noted that the rendering process by ERAS automatically puts ANOTHER period at the very end of the author list. So if you put periods after the initials, it will look like this at the very end of the list:
Appleseed, J.M.; Washington, G.; Carson, J.H..

Reactions: 1 user
when posting an abstract (poster presentation that I am listed on but did not present), it appears the exact same as published manuscripts since it was pubished in the journal's supplement. I don't want this to be disingenuous, so is there anything I should do to indicate it's an abstract? It seems weird that they are lumped together

edit: @gutonc, @aProgDirector do one of you mind giving your advice? sorry to bother you

Last edited:
Confused:

1) Have a publication in a peer reviewed journal publication, 9 page paper in International Journal of Particle Therapy. Not categorized under PubMed. List as publication, but just not put PMID?

2) Multiple accepted abstracts at an annual meeting for Posters. Didn't go to some of the poster presentations unless first author. The abstracts are all published under the journal's supplement. List as "peer reviewed abstract" or "poster presentation"... or "peer reviewed articles/abstracts (other than published)?

what route are you thinking for your second question? in a similar situation

I am an online writer for a medical student blog so I have a few articles published online (obviously not scientific or research based lol). I wasn't going to add this to the publication section under "other articles," but I was talking to another student who is.

What do you guys think?

If we publish an "essay" in a peer-reviewed journal (that's indexed on PubMed), but it's not research, do we still include this and where?
i.e. something from "Narrative Medicine" section of JAMA

I am an online writer for a medical student blog so I have a few articles published online (obviously not scientific or research based lol). I wasn't going to add this to the publication section under "other articles," but I was talking to another student who is.

What do you guys think?

If we publish an "essay" in a peer-reviewed journal (that's indexed on PubMed), but it's not research, do we still include this and where?
i.e. something from "Narrative Medicine" section of JAMA

For both of you--by all means, you CAN list these publications. But know that it probably will look like you're padding your resume (which you are, unless it is actually in JAMA).

Think of it another way: would you want to discuss these works in an interview setting? If you can say your learned something or reached an important audience with your experience, then great; if it's something you would hope you wouldn't have to talk about in an interview, then I'd leave it off.

Think of it another way: would you want to discuss these works in an interview setting? If you can say your learned something or reached an important audience with your experience, then great; if it's something you would hope you wouldn't have to talk about in an interview, then I'd leave it off.
Agree with this completely. If you published a narrative medicine type piece, and put that on your CV (which I argue that you should do), you are definitely going to get asked about it during interviews.

If I have 2 articles that are in ePrint for a peer reviewed journal, should they go under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts" or "Peer Reviewed Online Publication"? Sorry if this is an obvious question, I've just gotten some mixed answers from my advisors. Thanks so much

If I have 2 articles that are in ePrint for a peer reviewed journal, should they go under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts" or "Peer Reviewed Online Publication"? Sorry if this is an obvious question, I've just gotten some mixed answers from my advisors. Thanks so much
If they have PubMed ID's put them in the Journal category. Otherwise Online.

Question: I published an article in a peer reviewed journal. There is a PMID, volume /issue number and everything. The only thing I cannot find is the page numbers. For some reason there are no page numbers. What do I do?

Question: I published an article in a peer reviewed journal. There is a PMID, volume /issue number and everything. The only thing I cannot find is the page numbers. For some reason there are no page numbers. What do I do?
Leave them blank if you can. Otherwise make them up.

In college I did a healthcare internship through an interdisciplinary poverty studies organization. I was asked to write an essay about my experience, which was published on the organization's website. I have it listed as a publication on my CV, but is this something that should go in the publications section on ERAS or is that more focused on research?

For context, I'm applying to FM so research is not a big deal. I have been heavily involved with a handful of research projects with some powerpoint/poster presentations, 2-3 of which are ongoing and will hopefully result in publications at some point, but I do not anticipate having any research-related publications by the time I submit my ERAS application this fall.

Thanks!
If the experience was substantial and relates to some of your eventual career goals, by all means include it in your application, but I don't think this would really be considered a "publication" in the sense that an academic institution would mean.

Thanks so much! What about non-research related presentations? I was also on a panel at a conference related to that internship, and have given talks at various community locations about some other experiences/topics. These are all healthcare/community service/poverty studies related, and some included a brief discussion of some research I have done, but the talks were not strictly about the research.
I would include that in the description of your activity, but also would not be considered a publication. Each "activity" in ERAS has a box where you can give details of exactly what you did.

Right, I meant including it in the presentations section, not the pubs. Thanks :)
Probably not... I think it doesn't really matter ultimately if you put it under presentations or under the activity description, they'll understand what you did either way. But my general sense is that the presentation section is for more academic oriented, research-focused presentations.

A few people have mentioned presentations given during rotation are not recommended. I had a presentation in collaboration with the chief resident. It was an educational presentation for all the residents during a time that was designated for resident education.

My second question is to do with newspaper columns. I do a small column in my local newspaper (in my native language) with health tips, preventative medicine and general information about common disease in my community. Where can I put this, if I should even add it in my application?

A few people have mentioned presentations given during rotation are not recommended. I had a presentation in collaboration with the chief resident. It was an educational presentation for all the residents during a time that was designated for resident education.

My second question is to do with newspaper columns. I do a small column in my local newspaper (in my native language) with health tips, preventative medicine and general information about common disease in my community. Where can I put this, if I should even add it in my application?

I don't think those presentations given during rotations matter, as many med students get assigned to do them even. In general I veer away from anything that's intra-institutional because I don't think it is that impressive (and it's not) honestly. However, if you have nothing better to put and want to include it, you can do as you wish, but I doubt it makes a difference.

I don't think your newspaper column is a publication, as it's more of a work or volunteer experience (depending on whether you get paid). The closest it will come in publications will be "other articles," but I don't think it's appropriate there as you're writing a series of small articles. Also, newspaper op-eds and other articles are not considered peer-reviewed (as discussed before).

I've recently had an abstract accepted for a stroke conference. I'm a co-author and will be doing the oral presentation in October this year.The abstract will also be published in a reputable journal (affiliated with the world stroke organization).

Do I list that in both oral presentation and peer reviewed journal article/abstract (other than published) or just one (if so which one) ?

help would be appreciated, thank you :)

As you haven't done the presentation yet and it won't be done at the time of application submission, I would probably just put it as an abstract and note under your research experience that it has been accepted to the conference and will be an oral presentation in October.

Agree with above that neither of these are really "publications." I would definitely include the newspaper thing as either a work or volunteer experience, and probably would just leave the presentation out altogether.

I've recently had an abstract accepted for a stroke conference. I'm a co-author and will be doing the oral presentation in October this year.The abstract will also be published in a reputable journal (affiliated with the world stroke organization).

Do I list that in both oral presentation and peer reviewed journal article/abstract (other than published) or just one (if so which one) ?

help would be appreciated, thank you :)

Personally, I'd probably list it as an oral presentation and just say "accepted" with the date you'll be giving the presentation. By the time you're interviewing, you will have given the talk. Don't list it under both, as it's all related to the same conference.

thanks for your help. I'm also presenting a poster (different abstract) at the same conference...so should i list that 2nd one as a poster and not an abstract also? My only concern is I currently have no publications except these two abstracts (which are in press) -- and will be presented as oral presentation and poster presentation in october. is oral presentation and poster presentation >>>> published astracts or vice versa? The other thing I can think of is maybe in the title section of the oral and poster presentation, can i list it as published in blank journal - inpress? so its clear that they are published abstracts
Full manuscript>oral presentation>poster presentation>abstract, IMO. Submitting an abstract is pretty easy, making a poster and standing next to it and defending it is a little harder, and standing at a podium is harder still.

If they are two different projects, then list them separately, but I would only list each project once. So I would list an oral presentation and a poster presentation.

Full manuscript>oral presentation>poster presentation>abstract, IMO. Submitting an abstract is pretty easy, making a poster and standing next to it and defending it is a little harder, and standing at a podium is harder still.

If they are two different projects, then list them separately, but I would only list each project once. So I would list an oral presentation and a poster presentation.

What do you recommend in this situation? Wrote an abstract which was accepted to a meeting for an oral presentation, that did not have a journal associated with it. Wrote the manuscript and it was accepted. On the manuscript I'm first author, whereas for the abstract I'm 2nd. The meeting would only let the first author of an abstract present one abstract, and I had another submission where I had to put myself down as first.

So can I list that abstract under oral presentations while also having the manuscript as a published manuscript?

What do you recommend in this situation? Wrote an abstract which was accepted to a meeting for an oral presentation, that did not have a journal associated with it. Wrote the manuscript and it was accepted. On the manuscript I'm first author, whereas for the abstract I'm 2nd. The meeting would only let the first author of an abstract present one abstract, and I had another submission where I had to put myself down as first.

So can I list that abstract under oral presentations while also having the manuscript as a published manuscript?
I forget exactly how I did this, but I had a similar situation. I think I listed the oral presentation and just said something like "presented by Dr. so and so" (who wasn't me, obviously). Not as impactful as if you had done the presentation, obviously, but it's still something.

I was invited to give a lecture in a congress, however it was not related to research, it was more like a teaching session. Can I write it as an oral presentation?

I'm wanted to clarify how authors should be formatted. For example, for under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts", the author formatting is listed as: "LastName, FirstInitial.MiddleInitial., & LastName, FirstInitial.MiddleInitial."

So would this be a correct listing for multiple authors?
Smith, A.B., & Johnson, C.D., & Davis, E.F.

I'm wanted to clarify how authors should be formatted. For example, for under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts", the author formatting is listed as: "LastName, FirstInitial.MiddleInitial., & LastName, FirstInitial.MiddleInitial."

So would this be a correct listing for multiple authors?
Smith, A.B., & Johnson, C.D., & Davis, E.F.
Only put & in front of the last author and don't put a comma between the last name and first/middle initials. So in your example:

Smith AB, Johnson CD, & Davis EF

Reactions: 1 users
My scenario:

Poster presented in an international conference with abstract published in a journal, slightly different poster with same name presented at regional conference and won 1st place in poster contest, no abstract publication. What is the best way to list both? Does it look odd to have an abstract published in one journal with a poster presentation of the same name at an unrelated conference?

Hey guys,

I know variations of this question has been asked but I just want to clarify, if I am an author on a poster that was presented at a conference but I was not the presenter, I list it as an abstract, correct? The abstract for the poster was also published in the conference's supplemental journal.
My question is that if I list it as an abstract, it looks the exact same as if I were listing a journal article and this seems a little disingenuous? I guess, how do you specify that it was an abstract and not a journal article since ERAS has you put it under "Peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts" without distinguishing the two.

Hey guys,

I know variations of this question has been asked but I just want to clarify, if I am an author on a poster that was presented at a conference but I was not the presenter, I list it as an abstract, correct? The abstract for the poster was also published in the conference's supplemental journal.
My question is that if I list it as an abstract, it looks the exact same as if I were listing a journal article and this seems a little disingenuous? I guess, how do you specify that it was an abstract and not a journal article since ERAS has you put it under "Peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts" without distinguishing the two.

I put it under poster presentation and then clarified exactly who presented. So for example:

1st author, GoSpursGo, other authors. Title. Poster presentation at Conference Title by Dr. 1st author. Location. Date.

If I was both first author and presenter, then I wouldn't have that clarifier.

if I am an author on a poster that was presented at a conference but I was not the presenter, I list it as an abstract, correct? The abstract for the poster was also published in the conference's supplemental journal.
If you mean it was published in the journal of the organization that sponsored the conference (rather than in a conference proceedings booklet), then after the title of the abstract add [abstract] (including the brackets) in your citation.

Last edited:
If you have an abstract that was printed in a conference program, but was not an oral presentation, how should this be listed? I put it as "Peer Reviewed Journal Article/abstracts other than published". This was a meeting at the health system associated with my institution, if that matters. I know this probably isn't an important pub, but I don't have a lot of research so I would like to list it if its appropriate.
If there was a poster, you could list it under Poster Presentations. If there was not, enter it in the Research category.

Thanks for the FAQ, been really helpful in filling out this section. I do have one quick question. I did research in undergrad that led to a paper presentation for an international conference. I was part of project and did significant chunk of paper. The paper is published online as conference proceedings. However, I could not attend the conference as I started med school and it was halfway across the world. Where would I put this?

Thanks for the FAQ, been really helpful in filling out this section. I do have one quick question. I did research in undergrad that led to a paper presentation for an international conference. I was part of project and did significant chunk of paper. The paper is published online as conference proceedings. However, I could not attend the conference as I started med school and it was halfway across the world. Where would I put this?
Research experience.

If for the same PI, I did a big literature review and published it and then started working on a new project with him, would that count as two separate research experiences? The lit review and the project (design project) are unrelated.

Also, I did a meta-analysis over the span of a year. I did oral presentation at regional conference and was accepted for poster presentation at national conference (accepted and will be attending). Can I include both the oral and poster presentation? The reason I am asking is even though its the same project, we have expanded the analysis and included more studies since the oral presentation, so the presented results are different.

Third, if I ran an exhibition at a conference with my PI, does that count as some kind of presentation or would it be safer to list under the corresponding research experience?

Last edited:
If for the same PI, I did a big literature review and published it and then started working on a new project with him, would that count as two separate research experiences? The lit review and the project (design project) are unrelated.

Also, I did a meta-analysis over the span of a year. I did oral presentation at regional conference and was accepted for poster presentation at national conference (accepted and will be attending). Can I include both the oral and poster presentation? The reason I am asking is even though its the same project, we have expanded the analysis and included more studies since the oral presentation, so the presented results are different.

Third, if I ran an exhibition at a conference with my PI, does that count as some kind of presentation or would it be safer to list under the corresponding research experience?
I would probably list it as one research experience and just expound on exactly what you did in the explanation of the experience.

I generally would recommend only listing one presentation per project. So pick either the oral or poster presentation and list that.

I would list the last thing as just part of the research experience.