ERAS 'Publications' Listing FAQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where does publication which is under revision fits in to? Publication under revision has more potential to get published than a article which is submitted.

There are only four categories in eras; submitted, accepted, provisionally accepted, in-press.

I wonder what difference does it make between accepted and in-press article, its a matter of time both will get published. No rationale at all!!!

And also listing submitted article under drop down menu has no meaning. I can write some 100 review articles and submit them on Sep first to even top journals like lancet, JAMA, NEJM and hit the application submission button. There I go I have 100 submitted articles:) in top journals.

your thoughts appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Where does publication which is under revision fits in to? Publication under revision has more potential to get published than a article which is submitted.

There are only four categories in eras; submitted, accepted, provisionally accepted, in-press.

I wonder what difference does it make between accepted and in-press article, its a matter of time both will get published. No rationale at all!!!

And also listing submitted article under drop down menu has no meaning. I can write some 100 review articles and submit them on Sep first to even top journals like lancet, JAMA, NEJM and hit the application submission button. There I go I have 100 submitted articles:) in top journals.

your thoughts appreciated

The meaninglessness of an applicant reporting a "submitted" manuscript has already been discussed in this thread.

"Under review" publications have also been discussed. Since ERAS does not allow for finer granularity in its categories then it would seem appropriate fot yours to be described as "submitted ".

-AT.

Know it's an old thread, but...

Regarding a research project that led to, say:
1) Oral presentation at a local conference (and my school's 'research day', actually)
2) Poster presentation at an international conference
3) Publication (of actual manuscript, not just an abstract) in a peer-reviewed journal, as first author

It's clear that including all of them would be 'padding', and in response to a similar question regarding poster presentations of the same research that's later published in an article, glutonc said:

Including it in both is definitely padding. Pick one (the better sounding one) and run with it.

However, deciding can be pretty hard - an international conference vs a peer reviewed but not very prestigious journal?? Would it really be bad to just include those two, and (obviously) leaving out the local presentations?

Or should one stick to the publication and mention everything else in the 'research experience' section related to the project?

Thanks

I actually think it's reasonable to include those two. The prestige of the conference may trump the mediocre journal it eventually got published in, and people who are in that field and are reading your app will probably agree. But the average PD will think pub >>> poster presentation, no matter where it was done.

Nice thread
Quick question

I have submitted abstracts for a major Intl meeting which will take place in November. I will know if the abstracts have been accepted somewhere in August, just in time for the Sept 1 application. If they get accepted(but I havent presented yet) where do I put this? Or there is no use in including that in ERAS?

While I appreciate this FAQ, I disagree that you should not put poster and oral presentations on ERAS if you did not do the presentation. It would be different if ERAS had a separate category for abstracts accepted into meetings but it doesn't. If an abstract is accepted to a meeting, especially as an oral presentation, it speaks more for the relevance and quality of the research. I have several abstracts in which I was heavily involved in all aspects of the research; I also wrote and submitted the abstracts to meetings, but did not give the oral presentation since the PI of the project is more qualified to do so. I think I should get credit for my part. My solution was to list the project under "Oral Presentations" in ERAS and put (presenter) after the name of the person that gave the actual talk. I did the same with poster presentations in which I was involved but did not actually give the presentation. If I gave the presentation, then I put the (presenter) after my name.

Reactions: 1 users
While I appreciate this FAQ, I disagree that you should not put poster and oral presentations on ERAS if you did not do the presentation. It would be different if ERAS had a separate category for abstracts accepted into meetings but it doesn't. If an abstract is accepted to a meeting, especially as an oral presentation, it speaks more for the relevance and quality of the research. I have several abstracts in which I was heavily involved in all aspects of the research; I also wrote and submitted the abstracts to meetings, but did not give the oral presentation since the PI of the project is more qualified to do so. I think I should get credit for my part. My solution was to list the project under "Oral Presentations" in ERAS and put (presenter) after the name of the person that gave the actual talk. I did the same with poster presentations in which I was involved but did not actually give the presentation. If I gave the presentation, then I put the (presenter) after my name.

Thanks for your input on this. I've been debating what to do with it as well since I agree that if I was instrumental to getting data for the project that led to a presentation, I should still get credit. It is on my CV. And for us doing research during our summer breaks for school, it is not feasible to go on numerous conferences during the school year. My one lab went on a major conference kick for over a month, including international meetings, while I was in school. Obviously I could not go on all of the trips, but made it to one as my schedule permitted.

What about a case presentation given at a hospital to about 50 other students? It was not done as part of a rotation, I was chosen to give a talk by my school, kind of at random...

List it or not?

What about a case presentation given at a hospital to about 50 other students? It was not done as part of a rotation, I was chosen to give a talk by my school, kind of at random...

List it or not?

If it was a Grand Rounds style thing, I say list it. If it was just a presentation on COPD to all the other MS3s on at the same time you were, I say no.

Others may disagree.

What if you worked on something that eventually got published and you were listed in the paper as "acknowledged." I worked on optimizing some genetics experiments for a genetics research project in 2007. Two years after I stopped working in that lab they published a paper that used data generated using the experiments I helped optimize so they listed me as "acknowledged." I could have gotten authorship had I had a hand in writing any of it, but alas, I had to relocate and was not connected to that project in any other way.

Would this just go in research experience section? Also how should I present it in my ERAS CV? Write the article, authors, and then say that I helped them optimize some experiments and got acknowledged in the paper? Or should this go under a completely different section of the CV?

If it was a Grand Rounds style thing, I say list it. If it was just a presentation on COPD to all the other MS3s on at the same time you were, I say no.

Others may disagree.

That's just it...it was somewhere in between. It was given to all the MS-3's and 4's that were in town at the time (DO school) and some of our school professors. Nothing to do with a rotation. Just a 20 minute or so case presentation to ~50 other students and teachers.

I did a bunch of presentations throughout the year for attendings that I'm obviously not listing, but this was quite a bit more than that, and I thought that, at the least, it might show that I'm not afraid of public speaking...lol

Question: My research was presented at a national meeting, but my PI did the actual presenting. Can I/should I include this as an oral presentation in ERAS publications or would this go elsewhere? thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
If I gave a poster presentation at a regional meeting, but an abstract was not published, can I still list it under Poster Presentations?

I had an abstract published in Hepatology. How do I find out the PMID? Or is there one?

I wrote a case report (fictional) which is posted on a faculty education website. Can this be put anywhere on my app? Thanks

Hi, two quick qs:
(1)Is it considered double dipping to do something like this:

Poster presentation--School's Research Day
Poster presentation--National Meeting
Peer-Reviewed Publication

All being on the same topic (in chronological order, of course).

(2)Do people include stuff from undergrad (like institutional abstracts/honors thesis)?

Thanks,
SRK

Hi, two quick qs:

If they were different posters/talks, I think that it's fine. If you just took the same poster to 3 or 4 different meetings, pick the most prestigious one and call it good.

(2)Do people include stuff from undergrad (like institutional abstracts/honors thesis)?

Thanks,
SRK

Only if it's published/indexed. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

If they were different posters/talks, I think that it's fine. If you just took the same poster to 3 or 4 different meetings, pick the most prestigious one and call it good.

Only if it's published/indexed. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Thanks gutonc.

Question: My research was presented at a national meeting, but my PI did the actual presenting. Can I/should I include this as an oral presentation in ERAS publications or would this go elsewhere? thanks.

Any body has the answer ,,?? Please

also if this abstract was accepted and everything by Hugh conference peer reviewed

eg:

if the PI will be the presenter , should i include that in Oral presentation?
als i think it should be any way included in Peer Reviewed abstracts (other than published ) .. right ?

Please i need a very Quick answer .. :oops:

thanks a lot

Last edited:
What about a case report that's still pending submission? I understand that it can't be listed as a pub, but then what about a research experience? I just put that in in ERAS but I feel kind of weird about it now because it's not like I actually participated in a research project - I just wrote up this case report.

I wouldn't be so eager to include it at all except for the fact that I wrote it several months ago and it still hasn't been submitted (resident and faculty are very busy), and I spent a good amount of time and effort on it so I'd really like to reflect it on my application in some fashion. And I don't want to delay the submission of ERAS until after September 1 for it, since I can't even count on it being submitted in the next couple weeks.

putting a poster that was accepted to a national conference, a hospital research day, and school research day would be considered padding if I put it 3 times? I should only put it once for the national conference?

Any body has the answer ,,?? Please

also if this abstract was accepted and everything by Hugh conference peer reviewed

eg:

[Removed per request of OP]

if the PI will be the presenter , should i include that in Oral presentation?
als i think it should be any way included in Peer Reviewed abstracts (other than published ) .. right ?

Please i need a very Quick answer .. :oops:

thanks a lot

As long as you really had a major role to play in the project, it's fine to list it. You'll also be listing it in your research experience section, and you should be clear there that the PI presented the project. Be prepared to be asked what your role in the project was, and be honest.

What about a case report that's still pending submission? I understand that it can't be listed as a pub, but then what about a research experience? I just put that in in ERAS but I feel kind of weird about it now because it's not like I actually participated in a research project - I just wrote up this case report.

I wouldn't be so eager to include it at all except for the fact that I wrote it several months ago and it still hasn't been submitted (resident and faculty are very busy), and I spent a good amount of time and effort on it so I'd really like to reflect it on my application in some fashion. And I don't want to delay the submission of ERAS until after September 1 for it, since I can't even count on it being submitted in the next couple weeks.

You can certainly list this as a research experience.

putting a poster that was accepted to a national conference, a hospital research day, and school research day would be considered padding if I put it 3 times? I should only put it once for the national conference?

Only list the national conference. The hospital research day and school research day are not really impressive.

Hi, two quick qs:

In this case, I think you have the choice of listing either the pub or both the pub and the national meeting. Both are nice accomplishments, and I personally don't think it's padding to list both. Purists will disagree.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have 4 manuscripts in submission to national and regional conferences. These are conferences that do no publish their own Journal. Therefore, I decided to list them under "Experiences" -> "Research Experiences". ...not sure if that is correct or not.

However, it is sad looking to view my empty "Publications" tab in comparison to my very full "Experiences" tab.

Could these 4 manuscripts more adequately categorized as "Publications" --> "Other Articles"? Or maybe something else under publications?

Either way, I think (*hope*) PDs will notice the effort.

Nice thread
Quick question

I have submitted abstracts for a major Intl meeting which will take place in November. I will know if the abstracts have been accepted somewhere in August, just in time for the Sept 1 application. If they get accepted(but I havent presented yet) where do I put this? Or there is no use in including that in ERAS?

I have the same question. My poster was accepted and I am definitely going to the int meeting to present. I included this in the poster presentation section and just listed the October 2011 date. Thoughts?

I have the same question. My poster was accepted and I am definitely going to the int meeting to present. I included this in the poster presentation section and just listed the October 2011 date. Thoughts?

Umm...not the same question at all. Your poster has been accepted, you put it in the right place...no problem.

what if the abstract was accepted and i could not attend the meeting to present it?

should these be included? if yes, where?

thanks.

I am not an US citizen, i am an IMG but i would like to apply for residency in the US and think it would be useful to publish in US medical journals. i would like to do research for my residency application, do you know of some peer review journals that are considered good for a residency application through ERAS.
And also what are the requirements and how is the process like to publish.

I am not an US citizen, i am an IMG but i would like to apply for residency in the US and think it would be useful to publish in US medical journals. i would like to do research for my residency application, do you know of some peer review journals that are considered good for a residency application through ERAS.
And also what are the requirements and how is the process like to publish.

Depends on kind of publication.
can be a Review paper written with an expert in a field or an original research.Could be a write up on an interesting case....u write this with an attending. Bottomline is that u need some kind of supervision of your work...somebody who will take responsibility for your research. Once you have gotten the data or all relevant information on the subject...u write the paper...and your supervisor will advice as to which journal to send your manuscript

I had a question similar to some of the previous ones regarding research and ERAS listing.

I did a project and produced an abstract that was presented as oral presentations at a regional, national meeting (in which I won an award), and international meeting. I eventually created a manuscript and it was accepted and published in a peer reviewed journal. When I list this in my application, I am planning on including the published manuscript listing.

As far as the oral presentations, what are my options in regards of listing them. Is it poor form to list all 3 separately because it was presentations of the same project?

Thanks for publishing this FAQ. I have a very widely eclectic range of publications (including several manuscripts in progress), but this thread managed to address the manner by which I can include every single one of them into ERAS.

Just clarification about which to include, so I had 2 research experiences, #1 in college and #2 in medical school and this is the result:

Research #1:
-published in school's undergraduate research journal
-oral presentation at school's research day
-poster presentation at school's research day

Research #2:
-published in peer-reviewed journal
-oral presentation at national meeting
-poster presentation at different national meeting

Should I list all of them? or if not which one should I list?

Just clarification about which to include, so I had 2 research experiences, #1 in college and #2 in medical school and this is the result:

Research #1:
-published in school's undergraduate research journal
-oral presentation at school's research day

Research #2:
-published in peer-reviewed journal
-oral presentation at national meeting
-poster presentation at different national meeting

Should I list all of them? or if not which one should I list?

Just list everything.

If book chapters are not "peer-reviewed" then where do we put them (they don't fit in Other Article since we can't put editors, chapter name and book name, etc.)? And what constitutes a peer-reviewed book chapter then?

Accepted vs In-Press?
Paper has been accepted and is basically awaiting any corrections from the authors before final publication.

How are people describing their research experiences that have lead to a publication under the "experience" section? I don't want to be long-winded in describing my research, but don't want to just say "this was the paper's name and I'm the first author" blah blah. How detailed are people in doing this?

How are people describing their research experiences that have lead to a publication under the "experience" section? I don't want to be long-winded in describing my research, but don't want to just say "this was the paper's name and I'm the first author" blah blah. How detailed are people in doing this?

3 sentences to describe the research.

First of all, thank you for this FAQ, helped me out a lot!

One more q: I am currently the local contact at a department for a large, multi centre trial. Basically I make people aware of the trial, try to encourage them to include patientt, to follow the protocol, etc. B/c of my work I have been asked to think of a subquestion to answer with the current available data, analyse the data and write it up to become the 1st author. However, have been trying to contact the person who will supervise me, but he has been absent for over a month and will still be on holiday the next 2 weeks. So basically we still haven't set a sub question yet, but will do after Sept 15th... So can I list this in some way, and if so, where and how?

A huge thanks for the thread, tons of great information here. Another question:

Regarding a case report, it has been submitted so I was planning on listing it under the "Peer Reviewed . . . Other . . . " section, then the "Submitted" tab.

Would it also be of use to post this under the "Experiences" section as research? It is obviously not what I think of as research in the classic sense of trying to answer a particular question, but I definitely did plenty of "research" reading on the topic and getting a full sense of the literature. I do have other research experiences listed so I don't feel like this will make or break anything, but it would be nice to have it noticed :). Thanks for the thoughts!

A huge thanks for the thread, tons of great information here. Another question:

Regarding a case report, it has been submitted so I was planning on listing it under the "Peer Reviewed . . . Other . . . " section, then the "Submitted" tab.

Would it also be of use to post this under the "Experiences" section as research? It is obviously not what I think of as research in the classic sense of trying to answer a particular question, but I definitely did plenty of "research" reading on the topic and getting a full sense of the literature. I do have other research experiences listed so I don't feel like this will make or break anything, but it would be nice to have it noticed :). Thanks for the thoughts!

IMHO that borders on padding your CV. If it was the only "research" you had, I'd say go ahead and put it...but it's pretty weak.

Hi, thank you for this thread, it helped me a lot
I also have a question. I wrote an article for the Website, I chose to put it under "Other Article", I put down the name of article, but they are also looking for Publication name. What should i write under Publication name, is it same like name of article? Please, help me

I gave a talk at three different meetings that was virtually the same. Was going to list just the most prestiguous one under "poster presentations" and then the others I was going to mention in the corresponding research experiences section. Does this sound right?

My advisor however told me to "just list everything"... even if its the same thing twice! which seems like padding and is at least frowned upon by the people on this forum. Advice?

I gave a talk at three different meetings that was virtually the same. Was going to list just the most prestiguous one under "poster presentations" and then the others I was going to mention in the corresponding research experiences section. Does this sound right?

My advisor however told me to "just list everything"... even if its the same thing twice! which seems like padding and is at least frowned upon by the people on this forum. Advice?

Either is fine. I've seen (and done) it both ways. If you have a lot of pubs/presentations, just pick the "best" one. If you've got basically one research experience with 3 different presentations, list them all.

Reactions: 1 user
Either is fine. I've seen (and done) it both ways. If you have a lot of pubs/presentations, just pick the "best" one. If you've got basically one research experience with 3 different presentations, list them all.

Thanks for the quick response!

I've got basically 3 different experiences each with 3 presentations, so I'm worried listing it multiple times would like padding (i.e. 9 entries as opposed 3!). Then again, most of my research in the field I am applying to (Neurosurgery) is diluted based on hypertension research I did before starting medical school that gave me 10 or pubs/presentations...

IMHO that borders on padding your CV. If it was the only "research" you had, I'd say go ahead and put it...but it's pretty weak.

I did not completely understand so I wanted to ask again. Does publishing a case report in peer reviewed journal count as "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts" in publication type under "Publication" tab in ERAS? If not, how would you classify it under publication type? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

For the purposes of ERAS, a case report published in a peer reviewed journal is a publication in a peer reviewed journal. For faculty, a case report really counts as quite little. Case reports have theiir own section in a properly formatted CV, and when your promotions chair wants to know "how many pubs" she is not askking about case reports.

To address all of the quuestions asking about multiple listings: Really, it doesn't help. Best case, you get an application reviewer who doesn't notice all of the presentations are related to the same manuscript. Worst case, you get an application reviewer who gets annoyed that you tried to sneak in a few lines on your ERAS CV. In my opinion, the best way to address this would be to (a) list the publication in the appropriate section, and then (b) under 'research experience' describe your presentations. E.g. " Did. Y and Z leading to 3rdd authored publication (see below). Presented findings as a poster at X, and an oral presentation at Y (leading to award YY)."

You _should_ "list everything". The question is whether you should try to make it loook like separate experiences or not.

As long as you really had a major role to play in the project, it's fine to list it. You'll also be listing it in your research experience section, and you should be clear there that the PI presented the project. Be prepared to be asked what your role in the project was, and be honest.

You can certainly list this as a research experience.

Only list the national conference. The hospital research day and school research day are not really impressive.

In this case, I think you have the choice of listing either the pub or both the pub and the national meeting. Both are nice accomplishments, and I personally don't think it's padding to list both. Purists will disagree.

I'm still getting confused. My apologies. I have a similar situation to the first quote. I will put the abstract in as a publication. For the presentation, if I played a large role in it (first author, made the poster) but was not able to attend the national conference, should I list this as a separate poster presentation publication or simply state that it was presented by someone else in the research experience?

I'm still getting confused. My apologies. I have a similar situation to the first quote. I will put the abstract in as a publication. For the presentation, if I played a large role in it (first author, made the poster) but was not able to attend the national conference, should I list this as a separate poster presentation publication or simply state that it was presented by someone else in the research experience?

You should list it as a presentation if you gave the presentation.