ERAS 'Publications' Listing FAQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IMHO that borders on padding your CV. If it was the only "research" you had, I'd say go ahead and put it...but it's pretty weak.

You mean the "double posting" of experience and publication is padding the CV?

I am also 2nd author on a case report, which we have submitted for a journal and after one revision request, is currently "with the editor". I plan on putting it on publications (other than submitted) status: submitted on ERAS.

Members don't see this ad.

Since this thread is hot can anyone help answer my question?

I have a master's thesis that is bound and published in my school's library as well available online. What section could I list this under on the new myeras options? Other articles?

While its not peer-based it was reviewed by my thesis committee, and I put quite a significant amount of work into it. I feel like I should list it since it's no where else in my application.

Since this thread is hot can anyone help answer my question?

I have a master's thesis that is bound and published in my school's library as well available online. What section could I list this under on the new myeras options? Other articles?

While its not peer-based it was reviewed by my thesis committee, and I put quite a significant amount of work into it. I feel like I should list it since it's no where else in my application.

List it under research experiences. It's not a publication.

Beginning now, you should start the process of disabusing yourself of the notion that "I worked hard...therefore I feel like..." should amount to anything at all. There are many, many, many scientists who would love it if this sort of justification would work on their grant applications and on their manuscript submission letters.

How about poster that is pending acceptance? can I list it?

So I did a case report and made a poster out of it. My attending has submitted the poster to a national conference but it's still pending acceptance. Can I list it somehow under publication?

How about poster that is pending acceptance? can I list it?

So I did a case report and made a poster out of it. My attending has submitted the poster to a national conference but it's still pending acceptance. Can I list it somehow under publication?

A "pending" anything (whether it is a poster pending acceptance at a conference, or a manuscript pending acceptance at a journal) is nothing.

Certainly you can describe your contribution under research experiences.

A "pending" anything (whether it is a poster pending acceptance at a conference, or a manuscript pending acceptance at a journal) is nothing.

Certainly you can describe your contribution under research experiences.

I am 2nd author of a case report that has been submitted to a journal (after a preliminary return for revision). Under the publication list under the Peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts (other than published) option, you can select "Submitted" as a publication status. As far as I know... whether it means something or not, submitted means submitted. Am I missing something here?

I wrote an article for the Patient Website, where I described etiology, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of an specific disease. I decided to put it under "Other Article", I put down the name of article, but they are also looking for Publication name. What should i write under Publication name? Is Publication Name actualy the name of Website? And primarily, I don't know should i put this type of research under 'Other Articles'. Please, help me

Last edited:
I wrote an article for the Patient Website, where I described etiology, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of an specific disease. I decided to put it under "Other Article", I put down the name of article, but they are also looking for Publication name. What should i write under Publication name? Is Publication Name actualy the name of Website? And primarily, I don't know should i put this type of research under 'Other Articles'. Please, help me

Last edited:
Hey, all, good thread here. I have a question about listing something under "Other Articles." I'm the primary author of a book chapter in a non-peer reviewed text (which has an editor, as multiple people contribute), and I'm a little uncertain as to where to put some of the publication info that doesn't fit perfectly into the boxes ERAS gives us. Complicating things is that while the chapter has been accepted by the publisher, it won't actually be published until next year. Anyway, here is what I have so far.

Publication Type: Other Articles
Title of Other Article: Chapter Title
Author(s): Me, secondary author
Publication Name: Name of the textbook, edition
Date:
Date it was accepted for publication

Now, the things I am unsure of are where to put are the name of the editor, whether I should put the publisher under publication name, and how to best go about denoting that it was accepted this year to be published next year.

My initial thought was to put the editor under authors, and add (editor) after his name, but my adviser said that since he wasn't an author, he should go somewhere else.

As far as publication dates, my plan was to put "Accepted Month 2012 for publication in Month 2013." I'm not sure where to put that, as well, either after the title or at the end of publication name, perhaps?

I thought I was all set as far as format of this went, but am starting to have second thoughts, hence the lateness of this post. Realizing that it is only a couple days before programs can start downloading applications, I would really appreciate any help you guys could give. Thanks in advance, if anybody can help me out on such short notice.

Hey, all, good thread here. I have a question about listing something under "Other Articles." I'm the primary author of a book chapter in a non-peer reviewed text (which has an editor, as multiple people contribute), and I'm a little uncertain as to where to put some of the publication info that doesn't fit perfectly into the boxes ERAS gives us. Complicating things is that while the chapter has been accepted by the publisher, it won't actually be published until next year. Anyway, here is what I have so far.

Publication Type: Other Articles
Title of Other Article: Chapter Title
Author(s): Me, secondary author
Publication Name: Name of the textbook, edition
Date:
Date it was accepted for publication

Now, the things I am unsure of are where to put are the name of the editor, whether I should put the publisher under publication name, and how to best go about denoting that it was accepted this year to be published next year.

My initial thought was to put the editor under authors, and add (editor) after his name, but my adviser said that since he wasn't an author, he should go somewhere else.

As far as publication dates, my plan was to put "Accepted Month 2012 for publication in Month 2013." I'm not sure where to put that, as well, either after the title or at the end of publication name, perhaps?

Most of that can go under publication name: e.g., Textbook of Pharmacology (Robert Smith, ed.). New York: Sage.

Publication date can be "in press".

I went through the thread but I didn't see any answers to similar questions (a few people asked about Internet pubs but no concrete answers were given). I wrote a whole section of questions for an upcoming Step 2 review website/question bank. While it's still basically under construction and the layout is kind of raw, it IS up and running and it is perfectly usable. My name is listed under the authors as having contributed the section. There are 3-4 other contributors for other subjects.

I don't know if I should include this as a volunteer experience or as a publication, or even whether to put it on ERAS at all. I have an interest in medical education which is evident from my PS and the rest of my application, so I'd really like to put this in somewhere, but I don't want to seem like I'm padding. I have no other publications and no volunteer experience since starting med school.

Even if I decide to include it as a publication, I still wouldn't know whether to put it under "Other Articles" or a non peer-reviewed online pub. I'm not sure this is even a publication, since it isn't an article/case report/study/etc.

Would really appreciate some input.

I went through the thread but I didn't see any answers to similar questions (a few people asked about Internet pubs but no concrete answers were given). I wrote a whole section of questions for an upcoming Step 2 review website/question bank. While it's still basically under construction and the layout is kind of raw, it IS up and running and it is perfectly usable. My name is listed under the authors as having contributed the section. There are 3-4 other contributors for other subjects.

I don't know if I should include this as a volunteer experience or as a publication, or even whether to put it on ERAS at all. I have an interest in medical education which is evident from my PS and the rest of my application, so I'd really like to put this in somewhere, but I don't want to seem like I'm padding. I have no other publications and no volunteer experience since starting med school.

Even if I decide to include it as a publication, I still wouldn't know whether to put it under "Other Articles" or a non peer-reviewed online pub. I'm not sure this is even a publication, since it isn't an article/case report/study/etc.

Would really appreciate some input.

There's no clear right answer for this. I would personally put it as volunteer experience (or work experience if you got paid for it) because I don't really see this as a publication. You could certainly put the website address in the experience description.

There's no clear right answer for this. I would personally put it as volunteer experience (or work experience if you got paid for it) because I don't really see this as a publication. You could certainly put the website address in the experience description.

Thanks a lot for the insight. I agree, but I'm still not sure. I met with a a faculty member from a low- to mid-tier academic program in the NE and he told me to find a way to put it in publications seeing as I have none, but nevertheless I'm leaning more towards volunteer.

Manuscripts that are submitted/near submission go into the "research experiences" section, it seems. Does each individual manuscript get its own entity? And does the title go into the "organization" row with the project description below?

i am a third author on an accepted online peer reviewed journal paper that has YET to be published. it has been sent back to the author writers, including myself, to look for any mistakes, but it is otherwise complete and accepted.

how do i list this?

Peer Reviewed Online Publication?
but it asks for a URL

or

Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts(Other than published)?
put it as a "accepted"

I presented one poster at four different research symposia, but ERAS is only set up to take one presentation of each poster entered. Should I list the poster four times with a different symposium for each? If i list it once, how do I indicate the multiple presentations? The publication type is "poster presentation", so strictly speaking, it would seem that since there are four poster presentations, there are four entries, each with the same title but different dates and locations.

Help?

What if you worked on something that eventually got published and you were listed in the paper as "acknowledged." I worked on optimizing some genetics experiments for a genetics research project in 2007. Two years after I stopped working in that lab they published a paper that used data generated using the experiments I helped optimize so they listed me as "acknowledged." I could have gotten authorship had I had a hand in writing any of it, but alas, I had to relocate and was not connected to that project in any other way.

Would this just go in research experience section? Also how should I present it in my ERAS CV? Write the article, authors, and then say that I helped them optimize some experiments and got acknowledged in the paper? Or should this go under a completely different section of the CV?

any updates by anybody about if and how to mention acknowledgements in publications?

Here are a few guidelines regarding what can or should be represented in the various sections of your Common Application Form (CAF).....

[*]If you gave a (poster or oral) presentation at a conference, and the abstract corresponding to your presentation was subsequently published in a peer-reviewed journal (e.g., abstracts from the Annual Scientific Meeting of the Research Society on Alcoholism), then you can list in more than one category: (a) peer reviewed journal abstracts, and (b) (poster or oral) presentations.

I take some reservation with what is written above. I feel that you should probably just put them in as just presentations, unless you have a small number of presentations (like 4 or less) and all have corresponding abstracts that match up nicely when viewed in the application. These abstracts aren't really peer-reviewed even if they appear in a "peer-reviewed journal," some PG may assume you're padding your CV, and if you have other articles that the abstracts would get lumped up in with it may distract the reader from your big-time article's entry.

On my CV, I have 1 peer-reviewed journal article, 9 posters (seven of which have published abstracts in well established journals), 3 oral presentations (two of which have published abstracts). In my personal CV (not the ERAS one) I list the presentations that have corresponding abstracts in this fashion:

Smith JA, Rules MD, Schmo, JD. Interesting Complicated Talk About Stuff. Movement Disorders. 53(Suppl 9):S578, Jun 2004. Presented at the 14th International Congress on Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders, Rome, Italy, June 1-4, 2004.

However, you can't do that on ERAS, (although maybe AAMC will read this post and change the entry format). I tried putting everything in both sections where applicable, but it looks very busy and padded and in a way distracts from the one peer-reviewed article I wrote (as first author in a high IF journal - oh wait nobody cares :cool: ). I found it worked best to put the one article under the "Peer Review Journal Articles/Abstracts" heading, all the posters under the "Poster Presentations", and all the orals as "Oral Presentations". Sure, I don't get "credit" for having published a corresponding abstract for those presentation, but the numbers work out right, I most accurately convey my credits, and PG's in your field will recognize the big meetings and usually know that the abstracts exists.

Also I wholly disagree with those who said to only put posters/orals for those you actually presented. The reference is not for "presenting," it is for "authorship." If you contributed enough work to the poster or oral presentation to be credited as an author then you put it on your CV, nuff said.

Agreed... and of course make sure you can talk about the poster.... but that goes without saying.

Also I wholly disagree with those who said to only put posters/orals for those you actually presented. The reference is not for "presenting," it is for "authorship." If you contributed enough work to the poster or oral presentation to be credited as an author then you put it on your CV, nuff said.

sorry for the wording on that one. my mistake.

I mean to say how do you mention the acknowledgment that is "in" the publication. not "in the publication SECTION of your application" which is what I believe you thought I meant. I know being acknowledged does not mean I am published.

I ask because I was acknowledged in a published article that I worked hard to bring about and I was wondering whether to mention it.

I put it in the research section for that project, but the attending who helped me review my app told me to take it out immediately. He was very black and white about it. He made me think I was the only one who didn't t know that acknowledgements were not discussed. ever. He said the dishwashers in the lab get acknowledgments and that it lowers my overall app?

then I saw this post and began wondering if I was wrong

do you mean to say the reader cares about acknowledgements? and you don't demean your application by mentioning them.

Last edited:
No I mean I was acknowledged in a published article that I helped to bring about and I was wondering how to mention it

I put it in the research section for that project, but the attending who helped me review my app told me to take it out immediately. The tone made me think I was the only one who didnt know that acknowledgements were not discussed. ever.

then I saw this post and began wondaering if I was wrong

do you mean to say the reader cares about acknowledgements? and you don't demean your application by mentioning them.

Mention the work you actually did as part of the research experience - DO NOT mention that the article acknowledged you. I actually think it's kinda silly, as I was individually acknowledged in an article that was published in Brain for my critical reading of the manuscript, something I'm very proud of, but many people don't like seeing this stuff and you unfortunately have to appease them. Also, acknowledgements vary in strength according to how they're worded, and the PG doesn't have time to or interest in looking up every acknowledgement. The acknowledgement itself basically serves to confirm everything you would describe in your research section, but the fact that you were acknowledged is meaningless to a lot of people, who would compare it to stating, "and my name is listed on the department website."

I think you can actually say that the results of the work you contributed to were published, but I'm not sure -anyone able to confirm?

reviving a good old thread

I'm also of the opinion that you do not need to have presented a poster that you co-authored in order to list it. I have seen CVs from faculty who have an abstract section that includes a number of poster presentations that they are middle author on (and thus probably not the presenter).

I'm not sure if this has been answered already, but...

If I had an abstract accepted to a conference, and then later published a paper on the same project, can I list both on my CV or should I just list the paper?

If I was a reviewer for a medical journal, should I indicate that on my residency application? Does it go on my CV under Publications?

Here are a few guidelines regarding what can or should be represented in the various sections of your Common Application Form (CAF).

What can I list under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts"?
  • Articles that have been published in a peer-reviewed journal.
  • Abstracts that have been published in a peer-reviewed journal. (This is rare, but generally some academic societies have their abstracts published in peer-reviewed journals. For example, abstracts from the International Society for Biomedical Research on Alcoholism World Congress, September 13-16, 2010 were published in a supplement to the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. This is not a peer-reviewed venue in the traditional sense, so Still Kickin was right to express some reservations about this in another thread. If you were submitting materials for tenure, then you would not list this in any 'peer-reviewed' section of your CV. However, for the purposes of a medical student applying for residency training using the CAF, it is generally considered acceptable to list in this section.)
  • For completed articles published in non-peer-reviewed venues (e.g., newspaper op-eds, Harvard Business School case studies), see below.
  • For abstracts that have been 'published' not in peer-reviewed journals (e.g. conference abstract CD-ROM, conference program book, etc.) see below.
Note: 'Peer review' generally means that your article has been subjected to scrutiny by one or more referees in your field. Generally this does not include book editors (and therefore books and book chapters should not be listed in this category), newspaper and magazine editors, etc.

What can I list under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published)"?
  • Articles that have been accepted for publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
  • Articles that have been conditionally accepted for publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
  • For not-yet completed manuscripts that have been submitted for publication, not yet been submitted for publication but are intended for submission, etc., see below.
What can I list under "Other Articles"?
  • Significant publications that do not belong in the other categories can be included here. For example: books, book chapters, newspaper op-eds, the American Journal of Psychiatry's "Electronic Edition for Residents", etc. If it seems weird to you that a full-length book is downgraded in the eyes of science, then that is generally an accurate description of perceptions in the field. A book is not peer reviewed and carries less weight in the academy then a body of peer-reviewed journal articles. For example, the 'intelligent design' movement is typically denigrated because it has not published in a peer reviewed venue (even though its proponents have published many very widely read books). As another example, Samantha Power won a Pulitzer Prize and National Book Critics Circle Award for her book, 'A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide', but her academic appointment is 'professor of practice' because her body of work has not been published in peer reviewed venues.

What about ASCO abstracts that are accepted for e-publish only? Does this count as 'Peer Reviewed Journal/Abstracts - Other than Submitted' or 'Other Articles'?

Also, what if you submit the same abstract two years in a row (practically same abstract) but with newer updated data? Does this count as two abstracts or should I only include the newest one?

Last edited:
I gave a one hour grand rounds to the whole medicine department is it fair to list this under Other in the publication section?

If I list all my poster during my residency presented at the department research day is that considered padding?

I have 2 publications in a Journal which is not Pub Med indexed.
The Journal is Peer Reviewed and Indexed in Ind Med (That's the indexing body in India, I am an IMG)
The journal is physically printed and also provides a URL to access it online.
Its one of the top 10 journals in Circulation in India.

About my Pubs: One is a rare case report, the other is an analysis on 2000 people on an aspect of etiopathology on Urinary tract stone formation.

Where do you think i should list them on Myeras ?

Do i list them Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts
(But i dont have a Pub Med Number which they need)

Or under Peer Reviewed Online Publication
(But its not really an online journal, it does however provide a URL online)

Any help in this regard would be very appreciated.
Thanks ! :)

I think grand rounds can count as presentations

Wow, how is this possible? Same poster presentation each time? I was informed that anytime you give a poster presentation on the same research, you should have more to add each time. Plus, if given at different places, don't you have to use different logos for each site? Is the purpose of the poster presentation to get feedback on one presentation, use the feedback and make it a better candidate for manuscript submission each time? Maybe that is why ERAS has space for only one.

I presented one poster at four different research symposia, but ERAS is only set up to take one presentation of each poster entered. Should I list the poster four times with a different symposium for each? If i list it once, how do I indicate the multiple presentations? The publication type is "poster presentation", so strictly speaking, it would seem that since there are four poster presentations, there are four entries, each with the same title but different dates and locations.

Help?

Wow, how is this possible? Same poster presentation each time? I was informed that anytime you give a poster presentation on the same research, you should have more to add each time. Plus, if given at different places, don't you have to use different logos for each site? Is the purpose of the poster presentation to get feedback on one presentation, use the feedback and make it a better candidate for manuscript submission each time? Maybe that is why ERAS has space for only one.

So I have a lot of poster presentations that I was second or third author on and I did not present the poster.

Is the consensus here that it would NOT BE OKAY to list these as poster presentations?

So I have a lot of poster presentations that I was second or third author on and I did not present the poster.

Is the consensus here that it would NOT BE OKAY to list these as poster presentations?

I disagree. If you were an author on the poster (I.e. your name was among the authors listed at the top of the poster), then it goes on your CV. It doesn't matter who presented or if you even attended the conference - the field does not ask for "presenter(s)," it asks for "author(s)." All those listed as authors on the poster should be listed in the CV entry in the same order. Even if you weren't first author on the poster but you presented, you keep the same order of authors as printed on the poster.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

I disagree. If you were an author on the poster (I.e. your name was among the authors listed at the top of the poster), then it goes on your CV. It doesn't matter who presented or if you even attended the conference - the field does not ask for "presenter(s)," it asks for "author(s)." All those listed as authors on the poster should be listed in the CV entry in the same order. Even if you weren't first author on the poster but you presented, you keep the same order of authors as printed on the poster.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

I am curious about this as well. I was listed as a second author on a poster that was presented at a conference overseas that I could not attend.

I made a pamphlet/handout on ECT for the Psychiatry department of my hospital in India, in both the local language and English. It is given to patients when they are considered for ECT. Where would this fall under?

Also, my Psychiatry head told me to bring it with me during interviews as well in case anyone asked. I'm not applying for Psychiatry so I'm not sure anyone would have much interest in it, should I take it along?.

I am curious about this as well. I was listed as a second author on a poster that was presented at a conference overseas that I could not attend.

What about this: to avoid being perceived as upselling or being dishonest, what if you both
1) list it under poster presentations, AND
2) explicitly state under "research experiences" when you did or didn't actually present the poster.

This way, you get credit for contributing to work that was presented at a scholarly meeting, without claiming that you did anything that you didn't.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Not sure it is necessary to double mention the poster. Listing a poster on your CV does not imply that you actually presented the poster, so it's unnecessary to further qualify it in your research experiences. Not to mention, actually standing by a poster at a conference is not that big a deal - doing the research work necessary to be credited authorship is what really matters, and the listing shows that you were credited for your contribution.

Sent via the SDN Mobile app

Not sure it is necessary to double mention the poster. Listing a poster on your CV does not imply that you actually presented the poster, so it's unnecessary to further qualify it in your research experiences. Not to mention, actually standing by a poster at a conference is not that big a deal - doing the research work necessary to be credited authorship is what really matters, and the listing shows that you were credited for your contribution.

Sent via the SDN Mobile app

I ended up listing the poster in the publications section, however I qualified it in the research section, clearly stating that I was not able to attend the conference it was presented at. That way I'm not "upselling," but will still get credit for what I have done.

Forgive me if the answer to this should be obvious:

I was listed as fifth author on a poster presentation that I did not present, however, the abstract was then published in a supplement to the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Does this count as a publication? Or do I just mention this in my research experiences?

Forgive me if the answer to this should be obvious:

I was listed as fifth author on a poster presentation that I did not present, however, the abstract was then published in a supplement to the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Does this count as a publication? Or do I just mention this in my research experiences?

If this is all you've got, go ahead and list it.

Thanks for the great thread. Quick question:
I know this has been asked already, but the responses seem to vary. If you give a poster or oral presentation at a national conference, but then eventually write up the project and publish it, is it unnecessary/padding to include the poster or oral presentation as separate publications from the eventual journal article?

Last edited by a moderator:
What about articles for newsletters such as AAP or ACP? Where do they go, if anywhere?

Quick question: an abstract for which I was second author was accepted to a national conference for oral presentation. That abstract will be published as a supplement in a major scientific journal in November. I will attend the national conference, but most likely, the first author will be presenting.

When I submit ERAS in September, what category can I put this work in? Would I just put it under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published)" since it doesn't go under Poster (it's not a poster) and it doesn't go under Presentations (I'm not presenting).

Quick question: an abstract for which I was second author was accepted to a national conference for oral presentation. That abstract will be published as a supplement in a major scientific journal in November. I will attend the national conference, but most likely, the first author will be presenting.

When I submit ERAS in September, what category can I put this work in? Would I just put it under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published)" since it doesn't go under Poster (it's not a poster) and it doesn't go under Presentations (I'm not presenting).

I put these under Oral Presentations. Again, you don't need to actually present the thing to list it on your CV (always include all authors). Though it's published in a journal, this abstract doesn't undergo the same refereeing process that peer-reviewed articles do. The conference is more specific as to where your work was reported than the journal (usually a supplement thereof) the abstract was published in - practically speaking, the abstract is a reference to the presentation, not the other way around. I put all posters and orals in presentations, even if abstracts were published in reputable journals - listing both looks like padding and distracts from actual peer-reviewed publications.

I have a publication with lots of authors to the point where I ran out of space to put authors on ERAS. I haven't even gotten to my name. Should I just put et al at the end? Maybe et al after the first author?

I feel odd listing a paper where my name isn't in the authors section because I ran out of room.

I have a publication with lots of authors to the point where I ran out of space to put authors on ERAS. I haven't even gotten to my name. Should I just put et al at the end? Maybe et al after the first author?

I feel odd listing a paper where my name isn't in the authors section because I ran out of room.

Did you use the format standard ERAS formats? For papers: Lastname FirstinitialSecondinitial, Lastname FirstinitialSecondinitial - example:
Hoffman PS, Clinton WJ, Fox MJ, Roosevelt FD

For presentations: Lastname, Firstinitial., Lastname, Firstinitial - example:
Hoffman, P., Clinton, W., Fox, M., Roosevelt, F

If it still doesn't fit, and you're close, you may be able to abridge the format somewhat, like remove the second initials (for papers) or extra commas/periods for presentations (i.e. keep only the commas between each authors' names). If still no good I'd call ERAS for a recommendation.