ERAS 'Publications' Listing FAQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a publication with lots of authors to the point where I ran out of space to put authors on ERAS. I haven't even gotten to my name. Should I just put et al at the end? Maybe et al after the first author?

I feel odd listing a paper where my name isn't in the authors section because I ran out of room.

:laugh:

I had a similar concern with some of mine.

I was 16 and 17 years old (I know, sounds ridiculous) when my PI included me on 2 PubMed pubs as 4th and 5th authors (even ahead of some MDs & PhDs). I will be including them though, if I can, otherwise I may have to do what you're doing.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you use the format standard ERAS formats? For papers: Lastname FirstinitialSecondinitial, Lastname FirstinitialSecondinitial - example:
Hoffman PS, Clinton WJ, Fox MJ, Roosevelt FD

I followed the format, it's just that there are 25 or so authors. I contemplated removing the second initial, that would allow me to reach my name.

:
I was 16 and 17 years old (I know, sounds ridiculous) when my PI included me on 2 PubMed pubs as 4th and 5th authors (even ahead of some MDs & PhDs). I will be including them though, if I can, otherwise I may have to do what you're doing.

You'll be able to fit 4 and 5. This paper has ~25.

I'll ask my school and see what they say.

This is exactly what I was thinking! Did you work on the Million Women study or something?!

No, lol. Undeniably it is a lot of people. There are something like 10 institutions represented so 2.5 people per institution isn't so crazy. It's from my pre-med school days, fwiw.

I have a publication with lots of authors to the point where I ran out of space to put authors on ERAS. I haven't even gotten to my name. Should I just put et al at the end? Maybe et al after the first author?

I feel odd listing a paper where my name isn't in the authors section because I ran out of room.

This is fine. Program directors know how to use PubMed if they really care to verify.

Quick question: an abstract for which I was second author was accepted to a national conference for oral presentation. That abstract will be published as a supplement in a major scientific journal in November. I will attend the national conference, but most likely, the first author will be presenting.

When I submit ERAS in September, what category can I put this work in? Would I just put it under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published)" since it doesn't go under Poster (it's not a poster) and it doesn't go under Presentations (I'm not presenting).

If there is some sort of 'other' category you are best off doing that. A poster presentation (or even oral presentation) where you are not doing the presenting really holds little weight. In most academic medical center CV guidelines these go all the way at the end.

3) I know this has been asked already, but the responses seem to vary. If you give a poster or oral presentation at a national conference, but then eventually write up the project and publish it, is it unnecessary/padding to include the poster or oral presentation as separate publications from the eventual journal article?

Yes it is padding/unnecessary. It is also pretty transparent. Why would you even think such a strategy could have a chance at making your CV look better? Because it adds an extra 3 lines?

If you were invited back to a lab during consecutive summers (filled new paperwork, LORs every time), how do you go about listing that/those?

Example, you do it for a 3 month summer, PI likes you, tells you to apply again (the next few years) and that they'd accept you back every time. Do you write each research internship period separately?

If you were invited back to a lab during consecutive summers (filled new paperwork, LORs every time), how do you go about listing that/those?

Example, you do it for a 3 month summer, PI likes you, tells you to apply again (the next few years) and that they'd accept you back every time. Do you write each research internship period separately?

If it's a different project, then you could write it up as a separate blurb. If it's the same project, then you would retain the blurb -- you would just have different periods (e.g., "July-Aug 2012; July-Aug 2013").

Yes it is padding/unnecessary. It is also pretty transparent. Why would you even think such a strategy could have a chance at making your CV look better? Because it adds an extra 3 lines?

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the great thread. Quick question:
I know this has been asked already, but the responses seem to vary. If you give a poster or oral presentation at a national conference, but then eventually write up the project and publish it, is it unnecessary/padding to include the poster or oral presentation as separate publications from the eventual journal article?

A query pretty similar to the above one: if the abstract has already been presented and published in JACC, and the manuscript is still under review (actually in the same journal too), would it be okay if I include abstract under "published" and manuscript under "other than published" category. I don't want to over-sell but don't see how else I can include the manuscript in the application.

Last edited:
QUESTION - I am working on a cardiology imaging case report currently. I don't want to list it as a pub, obviously, but would it be reasonable to list it as research? I am not trying to "pad" my app, but as I only have one other solid research experience, I feel it may help. Thoughts?

QUESTION - I am working on a cardiology imaging case report currently. I don't want to list it as a pub, obviously, but would it be reasonable to list it as research? I am not trying to "pad" my app, but as I only have one other solid research experience, I feel it may help. Thoughts?

So... what were you researching? (Is the question you'd be asked in interviews.)

From my perusal of the ERAS application, there appear to be three categories:

1.) Fully published

2.) Anything that has been advanced to the point of being "in the works" but is not fully published, which can include submitted, accepted pending revision, accepted, and in press

3.) In preparation and not listable

Abstracts I'm pretty sure are either published (i.e. accepted for presentation at a meeting) or not.

I can't see why it would be wrong to have a paper and abstract on the same topic. They are different formats for disseminating information and typically posters are much more condensed, exclude a lot of details, and often represent work in progress rather than a neatly packaged story. The fact that they have the same title means that they address the same question, but don't imply that they are identical.

From my perusal of the ERAS application, there appear to be three categories:

1.) Fully published

2.) Anything that has been advanced to the point of being "in the works" but is not fully published, which can include submitted, accepted pending revision, accepted, and in press

3.) In preparation and not listable

Abstracts I'm pretty sure are either published (i.e. accepted for presentation at a meeting) or not.

I can't see why it would be wrong to have a paper and abstract on the same topic. They are different formats for disseminating information and typically posters are much more condensed, exclude a lot of details, and often represent work in progress rather than a neatly packaged story. The fact that they have the same title means that they address the same question, but don't imply that they are identical.

Thanks, I guess that is the way I am going to go. Just needed a little reinforcement. :nod:

I wrote an article for the Patient Website, where I described etiology, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of an specific disease. I decided to put it under "Other Article", I put down the name of article, but they are also looking for Publication name. What should i write under Publication name? Is Publication Name actualy the name of Website? And primarily, I don't know should i put this type of research under 'Other Articles'. Please, help me

Searched through this thread and couldn't find answers to these two questions:

1. I'm a non-traditional student, and completed a master's degree and thesis prior to taking pre-med courses. It was related to economics, and I did my own statistical analysis. I'm thinking I should not list it in ERAS in any form, am I right on that? Only reason I'm asking is because it might show some sort of proficiency in statistical concepts.

2. Should I include undergrad research experience? Again, thinking the answer to this one is "no" unless I'm listed on a pub that came out of it.

I do have research experience in med school, as well as a pub, so I'm not trying to fish too deeply here, just want to be thorough.

Thanks! Great thread!!

Searched through this thread and couldn't find answers to these two questions:

1. I'm a non-traditional student, and completed a master's degree and thesis prior to taking pre-med courses. It was related to economics, and I did my own statistical analysis. I'm thinking I should not list it in ERAS in any form, am I right on that? Only reason I'm asking is because it might show some sort of proficiency in statistical concepts.

2. Should I include undergrad research experience? Again, thinking the answer to this one is "no" unless I'm listed on a pub that came out of it.

I do have research experience in med school, as well as a pub, so I'm not trying to fish too deeply here, just want to be thorough.

Thanks! Great thread!!

I would, definitely include the thesis. Every little bit helps

I did a summer research program back when I was in college and I wrote an abstract, which was collected in a booklet that has all the other abstracts from the same program from other college students. I know it's not a formal publication but where would that fall under? I know research experience for sure, but I was hoping it would count for more..... also I did an oral presentation of my abstract/summer project in front of the professors for the hosting graduate school.
I know I sound desperate, but I don't have much research stuff....

Also, I have another project at medical school that everything is ready, just not yet submitted because the attending is busy....... where can I list that as it is ready to be submitted?

Thanks for the help!

If I have 4 research experiences, 2 of which resulted in publications...do I list all 4 research experiences? Or only list the 2 that didn't get published, and just have the 2 publications stand alone to represent the other 2 research experiences?

I did a summer research program back when I was in college and I wrote an abstract, which was collected in a booklet that has all the other abstracts from the same program from other college students. I know it's not a formal publication but where would that fall under? I know research experience for sure, but I was hoping it would count for more..... also I did an oral presentation of my abstract/summer project in front of the professors for the hosting graduate school.

Also, I have another project at medical school that everything is ready, just not yet submitted because the attending is busy....... where can I list that as it is ready to be submitted?

Thanks for the help!

Based on what's been written in this thread before, I think you can probably list the oral presentation. I don't think you can list the abstract or even the "Yet-to-be-submitted" project as a publication. In fact, the FAQ in this thread frowns upon even listing a "submitted" manuscript under ERAS's "Articles (other than published" headline.

How do you define "provisional accepted"? If the manuscript has been reviewed, comments received, and resubmitted, and final comments received requesting minor changes. Is it considered provisional? Furthermore in date field do you put when it was provisional accepted? I do not know what the actual publication date would be.

Last edited:
Based on what's been written in this thread before, I think you can probably list the oral presentation. I don't think you can list the abstract or even the "Yet-to-be-submitted" project as a publication. In fact, the FAQ in this thread frowns upon even listing a "submitted" manuscript under ERAS's "Articles (other than published" headline.

Who cares what the FAQ in this thread says? Submitted can be listed. In preparation cannot.

I wrote an article for the Patient Website, where I described etiology, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of an specific disease. I decided to put it under "Other Article", I put down the name of article, but they are also looking for Publication name. What should i write under Publication name? Is Publication Name actualy the name of Website? And primarily, I don't know should i put this type of research under 'Other Articles'. Any suggestions

Ernny said:

Thanks for the help!

I'd list the first one as an oral presentation. You'd obviously have to list the presentation as "My School's Research Day Symposium" which is not the same as a national conference or a peer-reviewed pub, but at it least shows that you got to the point where you were analyzing the data and coming up with some preliminary results, which is better than sitting in a lab playing with test tubes all summer but never putting any data together. If you list it as a presentation, don't put it as an abstract--if it was submitted to the same research day/symposium/whatever, the abstract and presentation are pretty much the same thing.

You can list the med school project as a research experience. If the paper isn't submitted, it isn't a paper. Thems the breaks.

The FAQ was written before there was a "submitted" option in ERAS. As there is now, I would certainly use it.

Hey guys I had just a quick question regarding ERAS and 'publications.'

While doing research between M1 and M2 I helped push two papers through the revision process leading to their publication. I did not, however, receive authorship but was given "acknowledgement" in both papers. I didn't really see any good way of listing these, can these be put in as publications (although they'd lack my name as an author?)

The FAQ was written before there was a "submitted" option in ERAS. As there is now, I would certainly use it.

If I'm reading the quoted material (re-posted below) correctly, it seems that they knew about the submitted option. Maybe they made it clearer in the recent ERAS iterations?

Having a manuscript that is "submitted" means very little. Anyone can submit a manuscript.

For another perspective, see this ERAS worksheet (warning: PDF link): the 'other than published' category here is explicitly described as including "Submitted, Provisional Accepted, Accepted or In-Press". Here we see a nice mix of conservative and anti-conservative category assignments. It is conservative in the sense that many would argue that 'in-press' articles can be listed in a 'higher' already-published category (which is probably more reasonable than including 'provisional accepted' in the same category). It is anti-conservative in the sense that many would argue that 'submitted' articles should not be listed here because there simply is no merit to submitting a manuscript.

-AT.

Hey guys I had just a quick question regarding ERAS and 'publications.'

While doing research between M1 and M2 I helped push two papers through the revision process leading to their publication. I did not, however, receive authorship but was given "acknowledgement" in both papers. I didn't really see any good way of listing these, can these be put in as publications (although they'd lack my name as an author?)
This was answered on the third page; it's just a research experience.
If I'm reading the quoted material (re-posted below) correctly, it seems that they knew about the submitted option. Maybe they made it clearer in the recent ERAS iterations?

Hmmm, it's possible I misunderstood the original post... in any case, if there's a specific place where you can list a submitted paper, I would do so. If they specifically have a category where you're allowed to list something like that, it seems silly not to, and then the program director can decide how much they care about something that isn't completely accepted yet :shrug:

Thank you for making this FAQ. I browsed through it and was still unsure of the answer to my question.
If I presented at a morbidity or mortality conference with a powerpoint at the hospital, should I include it under oral presentations?
Also, should journal club and brown bag case presentations to medical students and attending physicians be included under oral presentations, volunteer experience, or not at all?

I have one more question. I did a PhD in engineering during med school and there I gave oral presentations at biomed engineering conferences that required you to submit an 8-12 page paper (which was then published) to give a talk. I have a bunch of these, both because I gave a few talks and because others have listed me on their papers when I participated in the research. I was planning to list the oral presentations I gave associated with these, but the presentation which I didn't give (but was listed as an author on the papers). The papers have to be approved by the session chair, but I obviously don't consider them to be "peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts" and have them listed separately on my CV. Should I:

1) List these papers on ERAS as either a "scientific monograph" or "other articles"?
2) List the oral presentations I gave associated with some of these?

Thank you for making this FAQ. I browsed through it and was still unsure of the answer to my question.
If I presented at a morbidity or mortality conference with a powerpoint at the hospital, should I include it under oral presentations?
Also, should journal club and brown bag case presentations to medical students and attending physicians be included under oral presentations, volunteer experience, or not at all?

This doesn't count. Or if you put it down, it looks goofy. I would only include national/international conference posters/presentations.

How does it work for poster presentations at the end of a summer with all interns presenting their projects as well? Goofy?

What interns?

You can do whatever you like, I just know that from my perspective when I see poster presentations from local meetings (e.g. University of X research day talk), it looks like resume padding.

What interns?

You can do whatever you like, I just know that from my perspective when I see poster presentations from local meetings (e.g. University of X research day talk), it looks like resume padding.

NIH Summer Internship or the equivalent. I guess since I'm not applying anywhere competitive it won't make much difference for me either way.

So a manuscript that is not submitted yet - can this be listed in Research Experiences with a full title and the authors that will be on the manuscript?

So where exactly could that be mentioned on ERAS? nowhere?

I'm confused as to what you put under 'Research Experiences' that you wouldn't just put under publications

So where exactly could that be mentioned on ERAS? nowhere?

I'm confused as to what you put under 'Research Experiences' that you wouldn't just put under publications

A research project that never resulted in publications. Much research doesn't. It's still formative and useful. Under research experiences I would put down the subject of the research, maybe very briefly the gist of the results. No need to put in a citation for a paper in preparation, which counts for squat.

[Deleted]

Last edited:
Bump

Question -- I have a few oral/poster presentations at my school (~6) but also the same number for national conferences (~6)

Should I list the school research presentations as oral/poster presentations in ERAS with the much more important national conferences or just leave out the school presentations? Most of the school presentations are the same research projects just at a med student day thing or during a department grand rounds. I don't want to detract from what's important but would a someone be impressed with the 12 presentation 6 school/6 national or would listing the school just take the attention away from the nationals?

I can always put both school/national presentations into the research experience section about a single project but my specific question is do I list these school research presentations in that specific section on ERAS (oral/poster presentations)?

Some abstract publications don't get indexed in PubMed. ACEP doesn't either, for example (or at least they didn't at one point in time).

You can include this in published abstracts. Yes, the journal is AJRCC. Other citation information is as listed: Vol 181. Page A3444.

-AT.

I have a publication in a journal that is not PubMed Indexed.
In which section and how do I list it in ERAS ?

I have a publication in a journal that is not PubMed Indexed.
In which section and how do I list it in ERAS ?
Just in the normal publications and don't fill in the PMID section

Reactions: 1 user
Just in the normal publications and don't fill in the PMID section

I think they make u fill in the PMID mandatorily and if there is no PMID u cant submit it. Not sure though but that's what i have heard.
Lemme know if u have tried it yourself..
Thanks.

I think they make u fill in the PMID mandatorily and if there is no PMID u cant submit it. Not sure though but that's what i have heard.
Lemme know if u have tried it yourself..
Thanks.
No, it's not mandatory

No, it's not mandatory
Thanks a lot for that.. :)
I had one more question to ask..
In which format do u guys list ur publications ?
Chronologically date wise ?
Or first author publications first ?
Or better journals first ?

Is there any mandatory method as to how to list them ?
Thanks.

Thanks.
The ERAS program automatically sorts the publications alphabetically by authors,

Example:

Author 1, Author 2. Super-awesome study. NEJM. etc.
Author 1, BAuthor 2. Somewhat awesome study. JAMA
Author 1, ZAuthor 2...
BAuthor, Mr. Author...
ZAuthor, Mrs. Author...

Last edited:

Thanks.
Also, it sounds like you're creating a CV on a Word document and do not yet have access to ERAS. While it is important to have a Word document CV, please note that it's a very standardized fill-in-the-blank system for filling out ERAS. These filled in blanks will automatically generate what is sent to programs, not the Word document CV (although some may let you bring that)