ERAS Question on Work Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymouskoala28

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I keep getting conflicting information. I'm an MS1 so it's not SUPER important that I know now, but from previous students I've been told to keep a document tracking all the details of everything (work, volunteer, presentations, etc.) so that it's very easy when it comes application time which comes faster than you think. I keep hearing that if something is of significance like teaching or medical related you should always put it in "work experience" but there's mixed info on what to do if it's paid vs unpaid. I do a lot of teaching to master's programs like putting on reviews for exams and tutoring students in my free time but I DO NOT get paid. I was planning on putting this as a volunteer experience but it seems that some people list those type of things as work experience? I have a couple work experiences in nutrition and cardiology so I won't have to leave it blank but it always seems like everyone has 5+ work experiences on ERAS and I don't know where they come from.

Any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I keep getting conflicting information. I'm an MS1 so it's not SUPER important that I know now, but from previous students I've been told to keep a document tracking all the details of everything (work, volunteer, presentations, etc.) so that it's very easy when it comes application time which comes faster than you think. I keep hearing that if something is of significance like teaching or medical related you should always put it in "work experience" but there's mixed info on what to do if it's paid vs unpaid. I do a lot of teaching to master's programs like putting on reviews for exams and tutoring students in my free time but I DO NOT get paid. I was planning on putting this as a volunteer experience but it seems that some people list those type of things as work experience? I have a couple work experiences in nutrition and cardiology so I won't have to leave it blank but it always seems like everyone has 5+ work experiences on ERAS and I don't know where they come from.

Any insight?

Nobody will care about volunteer/work experience so don't stress too much about it

Members don't see this ad :)
You can put it in
I can put this in as work experience rather than volunteer? - Just to be clear
Nobody will care about volunteer/work experience so don't stress too much about it
I definitely understand, I just want to make sure my app looks as complete as possible and I'm not labeling things incorrectly considering we won't have step 1 or level 1 scores anymore.

I can put this in as work experience rather than volunteer? - Just to be clear

I definitely understand, I just want to make sure my app looks as complete as possible and I'm not labeling things incorrectly considering we won't have step 1 or level 1 scores anymore.
Either. Legitimately no one cares. I filled my app out wrong and submitted with both of these sections blank. Interviewed at some big name places. Seriously, it doesn’t matter and your classmates are likely exaggerating their apps.

Reactions: 1 user
Either. Legitimately no one cares. I filled my app out wrong and submitted with both of these sections blank. Interviewed at some big name places. Seriously, it doesn’t matter and your classmates are likely exaggerating their apps.
Thanks for your response! I appreciate it. If you don’t mind me asking what specialty did you apply to?