Errors in First Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SolarLuminosity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I was looking at some reviews of First Aid, mostly on Amazon and they have been discouraging. The amount of errors seems overwhelming. What has been your experience with this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

there is an errata pdf file on the first aid website. just use that as you go through the book. just a minor annoyance

which first aid? You mean first aid for organ sysytems and general principles or just first aid for step 1 2012

Does anyone know when they post the first round of errata? I want to be sure before I order 2013 that I'll have a chance to correct most of them before my test.

Members don't see this ad :)
there is an errata pdf file on the first aid website. just use that as you go through the book. just a minor annoyance

Minor annoyance? At least in 2011, the list was enormous.

First Aid is such a joke, how many errors it has in it is so pathetic and a testament to the laziness/don't care attitude of the publisher who knows everyone will buy it no matter what the quality.

Hilarious review from amazon:

It is incomprehensible that a review book that simply summarizes other books, that changes so very little of its material every year, can have SO many mistakes. Seriously, do a search for First Aid Errata and you'll see the pdf with all the errors. It's put out by the same folks; they offer $10 for writing in with an error. It's 10 pages long, about 20 errors listed per page, just for the 2012 edition. I'm no math whiz, but that's like 2 grand worth of payouts. How about you pay the same for someone to actually READ the book before you publish it? There was a similarly long errata pdf last year for the 2011, so either they're not correcting old errors or they're managing to screw up whole new things. Who is editing these things? I mean, it's pretty much the same exact book every year!

Yes, they've gone to color. And that is appreciated. But giving someone stars for including color diagrams is, well, lame. This is 2012. Color has been around in print for some time now. They've even got it in movies, I hear.

And they even managed to screw up the colors! Green for inhibitory, red for stimulatory. Really? Someone's been taking too much Ethambutol.

First Aid is like the fat, lazy General Motors of the 70's. Consider themselves the Standard of the World, too complacent to fix their problems, much less improve their product (with the exception of this year's big move to color - Now you're on the trolley!). And everyone uses them because that's what the old folks used.

Where are you, Japanese First Aid?

EDIT/UPDATE: Holy cow. The Errata has errata. Seriously. They have updated the long list of mistakes to acknowledge that the previous list of mistakes has mistaken mistakes. There...there are no words...