eShadowing for a DO LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was unable to apply this cycle for want of a DO LOR.

I didn't think to ask for one when I did my in-person shadowing in 2018 or so because at that point I was "career shopping" and was unaware of the need for a physician LOR for DO schools. I thought their letter requirements were the same for MD schools. I was very wrong!

No hospitals or clinics in my area are offering shadowing because of COVID.

I have a clinical job in which I do not work directly with physicians. I don't think I've ever seen a physician down here. (I'm a PRN phlebotomist - planning to go PT or FT upon finishing classes). The free clinic in town didn't have a use for me when I offered to volunteer because they have RNs who do their blood draws.

My friend suggested e-shadowing to get that physician LOR I am starting to get desperate for.

I am also hesitant to email and ask the physician I shadowed the most in 2018 for a LOR because I highly, highly doubt she remembers me.

Thoughts?

Other ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If no one can let you shadow then it is what it is. I do not think eshadowing is useful but it is better than nothing, and I think with some shadowing in your past you will be fine. The last 1.5 years have been unlike anything we have ever seen before. I would ask DO schools that are deadset on a DO LOR if due to the pandemic they would be okay with an MD letter, most will be fine with that as long as you know what "being a DO is about".

If no one can let you shadow then it is what it is. I do not think eshadowing is useful but it is better than nothing, and I think with some shadowing in your past you will be fine. The last 1.5 years have been unlike anything we have ever seen before. I would ask DO schools that are deadset on a DO LOR if due to the pandemic they would be okay with an MD letter, most will be fine with that as long as you know what "being a DO is about".

Thank you for your response.

To clarify, my problem is accessing a physician LOR at all, either MD or DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 2018 physician probably wouldn't mind you writing your own (most people do). Worth asking.

The 2018 physician probably wouldn't mind you writing your own (most people do). Worth asking.

Hmmm...Certainly worth asking her.

This isn't something I would have thought of on my own. Thank you. :)