Essay Overlap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yuc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really think my MD/PhD and MD essays (also the research essay) are going to overlap, since lab really was my life for the past few years and I've only worked on one single project.

I'm just curious, are there schools that won't look at your MD/PhD essay (and research essay) until they look at your personal statement and admit you into their med school (then they'll forward you to the MD/PhD commitee)?

If that's the case, I guess the overlap makes sense. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes; In some programs, the MD/PhD program will not see applications unless they have been approved by MD admissions. Some schools are the opposite, the MD side won't see your app until you've been approved by the MD/PhD program.

The point: In many programs, you have to gain admissions to the MD program and the MD/PhD program, and you want to make sure you satisfy both with your essays. You have plenty of time to talk about research in your MD/PhD and research essay. Personally, I wouldn't talk too much about research in the MD essay. Even if I did, I would be sure to explain my passion for research is driven by a desire to ultimately treat the ill.