Essentially homeless... what now in middle of cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted953743

So...big fight at home, and now I'm crashing at another family member's place. Everything about this is utterly stupid, and I don't need to hear the same critiques, because I know. :(:(:( I'm just worried how I can navigate this cycle without stability in so much as a home. I'm okay job-wise since all my jobs are online. I am a recently graduated student also.

I want to follow through with my situation and come out of it strong in the end. I know all my parents do is worry about me, even if they show it in the nastiest ways, so I want to show them, "hey, I'm all grown up and doing okay".

1.) I am no longer volunteering at the places near my home now that I am far away.

Do I update schools that I am not presently volunteering? It said in my apps I was planning to until I left to enter med school.

2.) Can't attend flights booked under parents.

I am just really clueless since flights are a huge financial burden and never handled them myself. I am embarrassed. Any advice on navigating to interviews with low finances? Do people get loans for this?

I'm still shocked, so anything else I should consider is welcome.:unsure:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
So...big fight at home, and now I'm crashing at another family member's place. Everything about this is utterly stupid, and I don't need to hear the same critiques, because I know. :(:(:( I'm just worried how I can navigate this cycle without stability in so much as a home. I'm okay job-wise since all my jobs are online. I am a recently graduated student also.

I want to follow through with my situation and come out of it strong in the end. I know all my parents do is worry about me, even if they show it in the nastiest ways, so I want to show them, "hey, I'm all grown up and doing okay".

1.) I am no longer volunteering at the places near my home now that I am far away.

Do I update schools that I am not presently volunteering? It said in my apps I was planning to until I left to enter med school.

2.) Can't attend flights booked under parents.

I am just really clueless since flights are a huge financial burden and never handled them myself. I am embarrassed. Any advice on navigating to interviews with low finances? Do people get loans for this?

I'm still shocked, so anything else I should consider is welcome.:unsure:
Go back to your family and eat crow. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you

Reactions: 16 users
Yep, do what you have to until you're self sufficient, then cut em off. Life's a game, just have to know how to play it.
success.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I wish. I really would like to rebuild my relationship with them, but at this time, it is not possible.

"Hey, I'm all grown up and unable to attend med school because I got into a fight with my parents and became homeless and financially unstable."

Reactions: 4 users
How do you piss your parents off to that extent?

Reactions: 1 user
We don't know his scenario. Example: plenty of LGBTQ youth are forced out of their houses because their parents are unable to accept and love their own children. Homeless youth usually are not homeless because of their choice.

Reactions: 15 users
You can see a therapist at your university. They can help you deal with the situation at home. They may have groups too.

Very sorry to hear about this, OP. I suggest that until you get your life back on track, your medical aspirations are now in stasis.

Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Please listen to me. I know a thing or two about this...

1. Don't tell schools you are not volunteering anymore. They are not a probation officer, so no need to check in.
2. Please do go to interviews and if need be, get a line of credit/emergency loan/credit card so you can do this.

Finally, I hope everything improves. You have a beautiful future ahead and your experiences will help you be an even better doctor.

PM me if I can help further.

AB

Reactions: 4 users
Talk us through it. Why not?

Thank you for asking, but I don't seek family therapy advice on this forum. I just want to know the possibilities on how to move forward in this cycle with what's already been done.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Hey, I'm all grown up and unable to attend med school because I got into a fight with my parents and became homeless and financially unstable."

I'm happy that you don't have a dysfunctional relationship with your parents that would allow you to understand the possibilities of what situation led me to this. I really do. I wish I was as blessed, but I'm not. I just ask for compassion and pieces of advice, future med student.

We don't know his scenario. Example: plenty of LGBTQ youth are forced out of their houses because their parents are unable to accept and love their own children. Homeless youth usually are not homeless because of their choice.

Thank you for your compassion.

Very sorry to hear about this, OP. I suggest that until you get your life back on track, your medical aspirations are now in stasis.

Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Thank you, Goro. I really don't want to sacrifice the time and money I've put into this cycle, if possible. Do you have some advice on how a stubborn one like me can possibly continue?

I know that if I just get in, I'll be stable again through some help from the HPSP scholarship and being in the military reserves. I just need to get past this hurdle to make a big step towards recovery.

I don't know how you'd do it homeless. I've never stayed at a relatives, but my ex's mom and dad were dopeheads and she chose to stay with an aunt to have a better place for her son, and was the perfect houseguest. Bought their groceries, cleaned their house (they were quite messy), cooked, etc. but they still got tired of having a constant guest. My ex got offended and I had to explain that it didn't matter she was the perfect guest. Garbage and guests both stink after 3 days no matter how good they are.

Thank you, Goro. I really don't want to sacrifice the time and money I've put into this cycle, if possible. Do you have some advice on how a stubborn one like me can possibly continue?

I know that if I just get in, I'll be stable again through some help from the HPSP scholarship and being in the military reserves. I just need to get past this hurdle to make a big step towards recovery.
If you get some II, how will you afford them?
How are you going to support yourself over the next year?
You have far bigger issues than applying to med school.

Don't engage in the sunk cost fallacy either.

Talk us through it. Why not?

How do you piss your parents off to that extent?

There is really no need for the OP to explain this. There are some truly toxic parent child relationships out there and telling someone just to “eat crow” when you have no idea of the situation is reckless. It might not be in this case, but for some people that could mean returning to physical or sexual abuse.

OP, I’m not going to pretend I’ve ever been in a situation like yours, but it’s not impossible. First thing you need to do is get some extra work.

Contact your volunteering gigs and apologize that your situation has changed and say you’d want to return as soon as you’re back on your feet, don’t simply ghost them. Most would be understanding, even if they can’t necessarily hold your spot. You do not need to tell medical schools about this if you’ve already submitted your application, just don’t lie on interviews. Overcoming something like this might actually be a positive for your application.

Find extra work because you need more money on top of your online gigs. Try to save enough to start covering housing if you can’t stay with other people any longer and a bit for possible interviews.

Interviews could be a few thousand, depending on how many and how far. You may need to triage a bit but this can still be done. Paying for interviews on a credit card is not unreasonable, but you’ll need to hustle a bit for extra work to try to pay it off as quickly as possible. (If you don’t have a credit card, that’s more complicated, I’m not sure how you would get one without a permanent address.)

Good luck. First priority should be to stabilize your financial and housing situation, but I don’t think you need to abandon your application when the hard work has mostly already been done.

Reactions: 3 users
So you haven’t built up any credit yet? That’s going to be hard. Especially if you have to borrow more money after government loans. Those interest rates will kill you.

You’re in the reserves now? HPSP may be likely but it’s not a given (it’s also somewhat irrelevant to getting you to interviews)

Have you asked your unit for extra days of work?

And again, it’s not therapy advice to ask exactly what the family fight was about. It’s just practical. You were living there a month ago and they were buying you plane tickets, it clearly worked to some degree and it’s fair for people (particularly in an anonymous forum) to want to know why that’s being pitched so vaguely as completely impossible to repair

Reactions: 3 users
Right. This is anonymous, no one knows who you are. It’s hard to give you specific advice when we don’t even know the circumstances or severity.

And my thinking was exactly the same. It sounds like things were going at least fairly well before this episode, so I’m just wondering why some sort of compromise can’t be made. It doesn’t sound like you are independent at all, so I don’t know how you’re going to suddenly make it on your own.

Some advice my dad taught me about people who gift you in order to control you- “Take the gift, become independent, cut the strings”

In the reserves you get paid by the day? I only know how active duty was. If you worked extra you got nothing.

Last edited:
Right. This is anonymous, no one knows who you are. It’s hard to give you specific advice when we don’t even know the circumstances or severity.

And my thinking was exactly the same. It sounds like things were going at least fairly well before this episode, so I’m just wondering why some sort of compromise can’t be made. It doesn’t sound like you are independent at all, so I don’t know how you’re going to suddenly make it on your own.

Some advice my dad taught me about people who gift you in order to control you- “Take the gift, become independent, cut the strings”

In the reserves you get paid by the day? I only know how active duty was. If you worked extra you got nothing.
Reserve component is basically by the day.

Well hell, if they will let him pick up extra days for more money that's a no brainer. Gotta have money. Hopefully you're an officer so you get the good money. Being a college graduate I'm sure you're at least an e-4.

Well hell, if they will let him pick up extra days for more money that's a no brainer. Gotta have money. Hopefully you're an officer so you get the good money. Being a college graduate I'm sure you're at least an e-4.
Yeah, during med school we were never required to go to our 15 annual days of active training but we are by policy allotted to have that time so I would go in and do misc tasks on breaks or random days off to get pay

I've toyed with the idea of going in as a 2nd Lieutenant, but I don't think I can do it.

I've toyed with the idea of going in as a 2nd Lieutenant, but I don't think I can do it.
As a nurse you mean? Or as a med student? I don’t know what nurses commission as but med students are just the 01. At graduation med students will recommission 03

As a nurse you mean? Or as a med student? I don’t know what nurses commission as but med students are just the 01. At graduation med students will recommission 03
RNs commission at 01-03 depending on experience.

MDs commission from 03-06 from what I’ve seen based on experience.

I got offers for a 100,000 bonus for being an ICU nurse but I really don’t want to be tied down. Or lose my VA disability.

You’re in the reserves now? HPSP may be likely but it’s not a given (it’s also somewhat irrelevant to getting you to interviews)

Have you asked your unit for extra days of work?

And again, it’s not therapy advice to ask exactly what the family fight was about. It’s just practical. You were living there a month ago and they were buying you plane tickets, it clearly worked to some degree and it’s fair for people (particularly in an anonymous forum) to want to know why that’s being pitched so vaguely as completely impossible to repair

Sorry for the misunderstanding. IF I get the HPSP scholarship, I will be in the military reserves during school. I am currently working online jobs that put me at 30-35 hours per week. After listening to you, I will definitely add to my workload to push me over 40 hopefully.

Thank you again for continuing the conversation with me. I will just tell you that my relationship with my family has been highly tumultuous since childhood because of many factors- some well-reasoned/understandable and some not. They do care about me and I do care about them. I know it is not impossible to fix these deeply rooted (albeit traumatic) problems, but it is for sure not able to be fixed within these critical months during the cycle. I am just sorry to myself to have cracked during such an important time in my life. I am not regretful for getting out though-- I will overcome....hopefully:shy:

There is really no need for the OP to explain this. There are some truly toxic parent child relationships out there and telling someone just to “eat crow” when you have no idea of the situation is reckless. It might not be in this case, but for some people that could mean returning to physical or sexual abuse.

OP, I’m not going to pretend I’ve ever been in a situation like yours, but it’s not impossible. First thing you need to do is get some extra work.

Contact your volunteering gigs and apologize that your situation has changed and say you’d want to return as soon as you’re back on your feet, don’t simply ghost them. Most would be understanding, even if they can’t necessarily hold your spot. You do not need to tell medical schools about this if you’ve already submitted your application, just don’t lie on interviews. Overcoming something like this might actually be a positive for your application.

Find extra work because you need more money on top of your online gigs. Try to save enough to start covering housing if you can’t stay with other people any longer and a bit for possible interviews.

Interviews could be a few thousand, depending on how many and how far. You may need to triage a bit but this can still be done. Paying for interviews on a credit card is not unreasonable, but you’ll need to hustle a bit for extra work to try to pay it off as quickly as possible. (If you don’t have a credit card, that’s more complicated, I’m not sure how you would get one without a permanent address.)

Good luck. First priority should be to stabilize your financial and housing situation, but I don’t think you need to abandon your application when the hard work has mostly already been done.

Thank you so much. I needed this. My head has been so jumbled with what to do, so I appreciate the structure you've given me. I do have some 3k in savings (quickly took a hold of my accounts so parents would not freeze them) and a great credit score, so I'm glad I have that to start with.

So you haven’t built up any credit yet? That’s going to be hard. Especially if you have to borrow more money after government loans. Those interest rates will kill you.

Thank goodness I do. I'm starting to learn how to put it to use for my situation... thank you for alerting me of a potential positive :)

First off to answer your quick questions:
1. No need to report that you aren't volunteering at the places near home. When you submitted your application, you had every intention to continue but circumstances changed and that isn't necessarily your fault. If they ask you about it during interviews, then I would be upfront about it and explain briefly that you couldn't continue due to x, y, z.

2. Don't push it back another year if you are already well in the process. Believe it or not, life will always throw curveballs at you and you have to learn to adapt and adjust. This is especially pertinent for med school because you will definitely be out of your comfort zone your first year.

3. Talk to your school counselor. See if there are any resources available for someone in your situation. If your other family member is okay with you staying with them until the end of this academic year, then by all means stay there because it will be a huge relief from a financial standpoint.

4. Even though your parents booked your flights, as long as you have your name on the reservation it should be okay(?).

5. Even if you don't decide to go the military route, most students qualify for and take out loans to fund their education. You will be living off loans for the next few years unless you have parents who have the means to fund your education. Nothing to be embarrassed about because this is the reality of most medical students.

6. Even though you feel like your parents arent understanding, dont burn bridges with them. They raised you to who you are so be thankful for that at the very least. By getting into medical school for the next year, you can move away and decide then how you want your relationship with your parents to be.

If you have any questions, concerns, or want help finding a solution by all means you can message me. I hope the best for you in your situation. Best of luck.

Thank you again for continuing the conversation with me. I will just tell you that my relationship with my family has been highly tumultuous since childhood because of many factors- some well-reasoned/understandable and some not. They do care about me and I do care about them. I know it is not impossible to fix these deeply rooted (albeit traumatic) problems, but it is for sure not able to be fixed within these critical months during the cycle. I am just sorry to myself to have cracked during such an important time in my life. I am not regretful for getting out though-- I will overcome....hopefully:shy:

Statements like this make me think you are making a very poor decision.

2. Don't push it back another year if you are already well in the process. Believe it or not, life will always throw curveballs at you and you have to learn to adapt and adjust. This is especially pertinent for med school because you will definitely be out of your comfort zone your first year.

Thank you for noting a positive. I will try to look at this as an obstacle to overcome that will make me stronger in the end. This means so much, to me, thank you.

4. Even though your parents booked your flights, as long as you have your name on the reservation it should be okay(?).

Yes ! I have confirmed this thankfully. I had thought everything was over. I will discretely be sending my parents pay back.

5. Even if you don't decide to go the military route, most students qualify for and take out loans to fund their education. You will be living off loans for the next few years unless you have parents who have the means to fund your education. Nothing to be embarrassed about because this is the reality of most medical students.

Oh, it's just embarrassing that I don't know the process and am just starting to learn now. :)

6. Even though you feel like your parents arent understanding, dont burn bridges with them. They raised you to who you are so be thankful for that at the very least. By getting into medical school for the next year, you can move away and decide then how you want your relationship with your parents to be.

I am very thankful for the monetary and moral support they've managed to give to me, for sure! A better relationship will be possible in the future, given more time to work issues out.

If you have any questions, concerns, or want help finding a solution by all means you can message me. I hope the best for you in your situation. Best of luck.

I appreciate your time, support, and willingness to be available during my low point.

I will discretely be sending my parents pay back.

Again with the massive red flag quotes.... Be an adult. If you left then you have no right to that money anymore. Give it back. If you really feel like you are better off without them then actually do it and stop acting like a teenager.

"discreetly sending payback" is exceptionally immature.

Again with the massive red flag quotes.... Be an adult. If you left then you have no right to that money anymore. Give it back. If you really feel like you are better off without them then actually do it and stop acting like a teenager.

There's no way I'm wasting that flight. Sure, I could book another one, but it's worse to let my parents lose money on a non-refundable flight. I am giving the money back by paying them. Hello!?

Did he leave or get kicked out. It isn't really clear and besides it is stupid to think that you have no right to stuff given to you by your parents if you leave. I suppose he should give all his belongings back that he didn't purchase himself and start paying back for every diaper, food, and other item ever given through the years according to your logic. The fact he feels guilty using the tickets and wants to reimburse his parents is nice but not required.

Did he leave or get kicked out. It isn't really clear and besides it is stupid to think that you have no right to stuff given to you by your parents if you leave. I suppose he should give all his belongings back that he didn't purchase himself and start paying back for every diaper, food, and other item ever given through the years according to your logic. The fact he feels guilty using the tickets and wants to reimburse his parents is nice but not required.

One, he said he left. Second, he never said he wants to reimburse them, he said he wants to give them "payback." As in a vengeful sort of way. 3rd the bolded is dumb and not relevant. His parents were helping fund his medical school application and he left. If you leave then yeah you don't get to use your parents money anymore and pretend that doing so is proof of "hey, I'm all grown up and doing okay" (their words). Clearly they don't want him to use it because he is having to be discreet about it. OP sounds childish and immature honestly.

One, he said he left. Second, he never said he wants to reimburse them, he said he wants to give them "payback." As in a vengeful sort of way. 3rd the bolded is dumb and not relevant. His parents were helping fund his medical school application and he left. If you leave then yeah you don't get to use your parents money anymore and pretend that doing so is proof of "hey, I'm all grown up and doing okay" (their words). Clearly they don't want him to use it because he is having to be discreet about it. OP sounds childish and immature honestly.

1.) I got kicked out on Sunday.

2.) I definitely said "pay back", not "payback", which are two different phrases. Please don't misunderstand and make yourself angry about me. I am discretely paying them back. Of course they want to be an obstacle since they're angry and won't like me using it. But I will, and I AM paying them back.

3.) I AM incredibly naiive and immature. There's no denying it. I can't gain 10 additional years of sagely life wisdom by claiming I am fully mature and was ready to move out. I WAS NOT ready to move out. I'm only 21 after all, but I am following through with what my sudden situation has led me to. I am trying to figure this all out, alright. Years later once I can laugh at this hurdle, I want to be able to show them I'm grown up and doing okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
One, he said he is no longer at home. You assumed that means he left by choice. Turns out that is not the case
Two, he said he wanted to pay them back using awkward language
Three, it is the same. Any money they gave him for med school applications is a gift just like all the financial support they have given through the years (I suppose you can argue that up to a certain age it is an obligation but that just means your logic means he should pay back every bit of support they gave since he turned 18). The fact that some of that money is in the form of a ticket to be used in the future is irrelevant to the fact it has already been given. So yeah, he shouldn't go ask them for more money. But he would be perfectly in the right to use the ticket and pay them nothing for it.

1.) I got kicked out on Sunday.

2.) I definitely said "pay back", not "payback", which are two different phrases. Please don't misunderstand and make yourself angry about me.

One, he said he is no longer at home. You assumed that means he left by choice. Turns out that is not the case
Two, he said he wanted to pay them back using awkward language
Three, it is the same. Any money they gave him for med school applications is a gift just like all the financial support they have given through the years (I suppose you can argue that up to a certain age it is an obligation but that just means your logic means he should pay back every bit of support they gave since he turned 18). The fact that some of that money is in the form of a ticket to be used in the future is irrelevant to the fact it has already been given. So yeah, he shouldn't go ask them for more money. But he would be perfectly in the right to use the ticket and pay them nothing for it.

I'll admit I was wrong. He definitely phrased that very poorly because even when I go back and read it again it reads like he left and he was attempting to be vengeful. I still suspect that there is a lot to this story he isn't telling us because his phrasing still strikes me as him having a lot more fault in this than he is letting on even as I reread the OP and subsequent posts. I disagree with your premise that just because I don't think he has the right to use the tickets that were just barely purchased with their money (still my opinion) that he should pay back every bit of support he has ever been given.

I'll admit I was wrong. He definitely phrased that very poorly because even when I go back and read it again it reads like he left and he was attempting to be vengeful. I still suspect that there is a lot to this story he isn't telling us because his phrasing still strikes me as him having a lot more fault in this than he is letting on even as I reread the OP and subsequent posts. I disagree with your premise that just because I don't think he has the right to use the tickets that were just barely purchased with their money (still my opinion) that he should pay back every bit of support he has ever been given.

pay back support given by parents? wtf is this? lol... My parents would never expect me to ever pay them back for something. They brought me into this world, and anything they have supplied me they have supplied out of love. I'd do the same for my kids, if I had kids.

pay back support given by parents? wtf is this? lol... My parents would never expect me to ever pay them back for something. They brought me into this world, and anything they have supplied me they have supplied out of love. I'd do the same for my kids, if I had kids.

No, read it again. Slowly.

TL;DR please.

I think using the plane tickets that were very recently purchased using the parent's money isn't the right thing to do. The other poster was saying that because I think that then I must think OP needs to give back anything his parents have ever given him. I said that was not what I was saying and isn't equivalent.

As to the mess OP you need to make money. There is a real chance you will need to pull your applications and apply again when your life is more stable. How are you going to afford the 1000 dollar deposits? The move to wherever your school is? You won't get school loans until school actually starts, and you won't be getting any HPSP money (if you even get that) until about then either. You need to be able to make it to that point...

I think using the plane tickets that were very recently purchased using the parent's money isn't the right thing to do. The other poster was saying that because I think that then I must think OP needs to give back anything his parents have ever given him. I said that was not what I was saying and isn't equivalent.
It is on the same continuum. You are arguing about where to draw the line. I am saying we don't have to draw a line because anything given freely is a gift. Let's say it wasn't future tickets but instead was cash in the amount of the tickets instead. If they gave it the day of the fight would your answer differ than if it was given months ago. Why do you draw the line wherever you do (gotta give back money but not clothes, gotta give back stuff given within x days but not stuff before, etc)

OP, you need to ask yourself this question: is it more toxic to live with your parents or is it more toxic to cut them off.

You have some red flags in your post as others have stated, and I really don't think this forum is suited to help you. You need to determine whether living with your parents is injurious to you and if so, then take action to be in a safe residence. However, medical school is not the place to come hobbling, near mortally wounded or emotionally crippled. Medical school will not be a safe space for you, nor will it provide you any nurturing, comfort nor support. You need to go at medical school with your best armamentarium within grasp and if you enter medical school in your present homeless state, I personally fear you will endanger yourself psychologically and emotionally.

Medical school will in fact suck you dry emotionally and physically. Read the posts on these forums as to mental health issues. Many of us have been pushed to the limit precisely b/c of medical school even if we were "prepared" for it. You are not prepared for it if you decide to cut off your parents.

Be smart. Be wise. think. This is no time to be a cowboy.

best of success to you
He doesn't have to decide any of that because they kicked him out. He isn't the one that chose to leave. He didn't decide to cut them off.

The op has told us he has a good credit score and savings that is probably more than a lot of people applying to med school. He has a roof over his head for the moment and we don't know how stable or precarious that may be. It is possible that all he needs to do is play nice with the people he is staying with for a while, forward his mail to the new place, be frugal with any expenses (just like any med school applicant that does not have parents funding everything), try to earn more money while he can, and be ready to use a credit card that he may have to wait a while to pay off to make sure he has enough savings for initial rental costs and moving if he makes it into med school. Not sure why so many are acting like it is unheard of to pay your own way to apply to and get in to med school. Op is lucky that some of the expenses were already covered. For this reason I would advise holding off on paying back the parents until he gets to a more stable situation (don't pay them back now just to soothe your ego).

Now the fight and the change in living situation is a big psychological hit and that may affect his success with this cycle and in school but it might not. Not sure I would advise him to bail out now unless he doesn't feel emotionally up to trying.