estrogen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctizzle13498

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question. So I understand that estrogen causes the LH surge. But I also understand that estrogen causes inhibition on FSH and LH. So how can estrogen causes an LH surge AND cause inhibition of LH?????

very confused

Members don't see this ad.

Because estrogen has something very unique: A positive feedback!
Low levels of estrogen inhibit FSH+LH because of negative feedback, but high levels of estrogen somehow have a positive feedback on the pituitary gland. Thus, at high estrogen levels -> LH surge.

Because estrogen has something very unique: A positive feedback!
Low levels of estrogen inhibit FSH+LH because of negative feedback, but high levels of estrogen somehow have a positive feedback on the pituitary gland. Thus, at high estrogen levels -> LH surge.

But in turners, low levels of estrogen cause an increase in LH and FSH.

But in turners, low levels of estrogen cause an increase in LH and FSH.
Of course, because there is no inhibition from estrogen anymore. Ok, maybe i should say "very low levels" of estrogen cause an increase in LH+FSH because there is no estrogen to inhibit this! As FSH+LH increase, estrogen increases and causes a negative feedback.. until high concentrations of it cause the positive feedback

I think what you're missing here is that during the proliferative phase, the oocytes (esp. the dominant one) are able to use this FSH (+LH) more and more "efficiently", so with the same amount of LH+FSH, they are able to produce more and more estrogen. Hope this helps

Last edited:
I agree with rashy. The fact that high levels of estrogen increase LH production through positive feedback is a fact you must just accept and move on, don't dwell on it too much. If it helps, Conrad Fischer said it just happens and there is no real explanation.