Ethical Dilemmas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What has your biggest ethical dilemma been? I can only think of 1 ethical dilemma in my life, but it seems so trivial. Has anyone had substantial ethical dilemmas? What would you consider substantial?

Members don't see this ad.

Think hard, I'm sure you've been in many real ethical dilemmas. If not, then you must've lived a sheltered life.

Originally posted by Premed2003
What has your biggest ethical dilemma been? I can only think of 1 ethical dilemma in my life, but it seems so trivial. Has anyone had substantial ethical dilemmas? What would you consider substantial?

You face ethical dilemmas every day

eg should I write honestly about my own experiences for this secondary or make something up that is more exciting than my own life experiences!

...but seriously...it doesn't *have* to be about "the day I made the decision to turn granmas life support off"...thankfully not many of us will have been faced with such extreme situations, so they are all going to be just every day incidents - and what I think they are looking for is how you come to a decision about what to do, not specifically how earth shatteringly important the decision was.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some of your ethical dilemmas? Maybe mine aren't as trivial as I think if others think theirs are significant.

I wrote about how I was hired to do research, yet my doc always lets me shadow him in the OR. I wrote about how he says its okay, yet im not doing what hes paying me to do. I feel I have not yet deserved a place in the OR, and my fascination overrides my commitment. I said it's a huge ethical dilemma.

hi...there was another thread about this topic earlier...search for a thread on pitt's secondary (is that what you're asking this for?). my ethical dilemma is about my religion. technically, it's against my religion to kill anything living plants or animals for any reason...thus presenting a moral problem to anyone interested in entering most biological science fields. i'm not addressing the plant part of it, just the animal part since it has to do with dissections and all of that. you know what's tough? explaining my views so that it doesn't seem like i chose what seems most convenient or to get bogged down in details about my religion.

Originally posted by chopsuey
hi...there was another thread about this topic earlier...search for a thread on pitt's secondary (is that what you're asking this for?). my ethical dilemma is about my religion. technically, it's against my religion to kill anything living plants or animals for any reason...thus presenting a moral problem to anyone interested in entering most biological science fields. i'm not addressing the plant part of it, just the animal part since it has to do with dissections and all of that. you know what's tough? explaining my views so that it doesn't seem like i chose what seems most convenient or to get bogged down in details about my religion.

What religion is this?

i can't seem to find the link to the website but did it say "an ethical dilemma" or a "major ethical dilemma"? i could probably think of some small stuff but i don't think i've encountered something that's big.

Originally posted by Cerberus

What religion is this?

jainism....(pronounced jane-ism)

by the way, here's the link to the other thread on pitt's ethical dilemma.

deciding whether to wake up or hit the snooze is one ethical dilemma. you can talk about how we are in a compromised situation for decision making in these levels of consciousness and apply that to human bias, fallibility, etc.

Here's a legal ethical dilemma from my lawyer days.

An attorney notices that a client's wallet fell out onto the floor of his office. He looks inside and notices that there are five crisp one hudred dollar bills. He wonders, should he keep the money or share it with his partner. :p

Ed

Originally posted by edmadison
Here's a legal ethical dilemma from my lawyer days.

An attorney notices that a client's wallet fell out onto the floor of his office. He looks inside and notices that there are five crisp one hudred dollar bills. He wonders, should he keep the money or share it with his partner. :p

Ed

:laugh: :laugh: