Ethics of interview question (I'm not asking about ethical scenarios)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fball22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
During an interview I was asked, where else have you interviewed? What were the decisions of said schools? Do you have any more interviews scheduled?

I answered honestly, relaying info about acceptances, waitlists, and pending decisions.

The interviewer jotted down every detail of what I said.

I feel like these questions are somewhat unethical. I should be judged on the application I put together and my merits, not on what other schools thought about me.

What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
These are pretty common questions. I think it's reasonable to ask this kind of stuff, schools want most of the students they accept to attend because it makes them look better.

I think the school has every right to make their decision based on how likely or unlikely a candidate may attend due to other options, just like they have a right to fill there class with certain demographics, or people with certain stats, or people with different occupational backgrounds, or balance the class based on gender, or whatever. Get over it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
They will find out if they accept you. You could be general about it. And talk about why you like the school you are interviewing at .

I think those kind of questions are technically not-allowed, but I received a few questions like that at one school that I interviewed at. Since the AAMC traffic rules bar knowledge of other acceptances until such-and-such date (I forget exactly when), it seems like a way to try and circumvent that by asking in the interview process. I'm not a big fan of trying to play those kinds of games.

But if you are presented with a question like that, just try to deflect a little bit by talking about how much you want to go to the specific school you are interviewing at.

I think those kind of questions are technically not-allowed, but I received a few questions like that at one school that I interviewed at. Since the AAMC traffic rules bar knowledge of other acceptances until such-and-such date (I forget exactly when), it seems like a way to try and circumvent that by asking in the interview process. I'm not a big fan of trying to play those kinds of games.

But if you are presented with a question like that, just try to deflect a little bit by talking about how much you want to go to the specific school you are interviewing at.
I believe the multiple acceptance report thing becomes available in February. I do believe they only get to see it once they have accepted you.to prevent them from making an acceptance decision based on other statuses at schools.

I believe the multiple acceptance report thing becomes available in February. I do believe they only get to see it once they have accepted you.to prevent them from making an acceptance decision based on other statuses at schools.
Edit: oops, never mind!

Last edited:
and is libertyyne correct that you can only see that info if you've already accepted the applicant?
That is correct.
We can see where accepted students are accepted in February and where waitlisted students are accepted in March.
We never see where you have been waitlisted, where you have interviewed or where you applied.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That is correct.
We can see where accepted students are accepted in February and where waitlisted students are accepted in March.
We never see where you have been waitlisted, where you have interviewed or where you applied.

:oops: So there's an online database where you enter someone's name and it shows everywhere they are holding acceptances? :wow: Yikes. maybe it will factor into scholarships then?

:oops: So there's an online database where you enter someone's name and it shows everywhere they are holding acceptances? :wow: Yikes. maybe it will factor into scholarships then?
Only admissions officers can see this, I believe.

That is correct.
So what are your thoughts on the original question?

I do think that it is unfair to the applicants that they do not have their financial packages provided prior to making the final selection. It is like walking into a car dealership selecting a car and the salesperson saying " your price will be up to sticker price" and finalizing the deal. But I suppose these are all first world problems since a majority of applicants do not have this issue.

I do think that it is unfair to the applicants that they do not have their financial packages provided prior to making the final selection. It is like walking into a car dealership selecting a car and the salesperson saying " your price will be up to sticker price" and finalizing the deal. But I suppose these are all first world problems since a majority of applicants do not have this issue.

I think that most do try to have the FA packages available well before April 30th. That being said, having UCSF say that they hope to have FA packages out by April 21-23 is a bit disconcerting. :shrug:

I think that most do try to have the FA packages available well before April 30th. That being said, having UCSF say that they hope to have FA packages out by April 21-23 is a bit disconcerting. :shrug:
I was accepted the first day a school gave out acceptances. They said financial packages might be ready in April.

Just under 50% of all matriculating students get a single offer of acceptance. perhaps 10-15% get 3 or more acceptances. For the vast majority of students the choice for financial aid is the same as my mother gave me for dinner while growing up: take it or leave it.
I don't know about you, but my mother wasn't charging me possibly upwards of 300k for diner.

And if you have only 1 acceptance, and they offer you whatever FA package they do, you still have to take it or leave.
I was just stating rationally if you have more than one choice you need all the pertinent information before you can make the decision. Perhaps amcas could make a rule that they should provide financial packages for all applicants accepted to multiple schools prior to march 15.

Just under 50% of all matriculating students get a single offer of acceptance. perhaps 10-15% get 3 or more acceptances. For the vast majority of students the choice for financial aid is the same as my mother gave me for dinner while growing up: take it or leave it.
Also 10-15% is roughly 2-3k applicants

In fact the rule is quite opposite putting a firewall between admissions and FA. This was put in place in the late 1980s/early 1990s to keep any financial considerations removed from acceptance decisions. Additionally, some schools do not work on FA until after April 30th when they have a pared down acceptance list.

My point is for the vast majority of students, waiting for FA to make a decision is nearly a pipe dream
e4350fe485cacb52f35dce216bd208e9f442123c38a9a74abe2ead9257c0e6e4.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Stares at screen with a quizzical look and says "huh?"
Dozens of people who have multiple acceptances. The humour comes from the fact that he is celebrating the fact that there are other people with his made up medical condition. But it is even funnier because there are such a small number of people afflicted. I was trying to portray the parallels between people holding multiple acceptances and the character in the show.
Arrested development is a great show if you haven't seen it already . I think you would like it and it is on Netflix.

Reactions: 1 users
So AAMC requires you to accept one school by April 30? Is it possible that a school may require you to accept before that?

People like to know what their competition is, and in addition, I could have asked you some questions based upon your list of schools.

During an interview I was asked, where else have you interviewed? What were the decisions of said schools? Do you have any more interviews scheduled?

I answered honestly, relaying info about acceptances, waitlists, and pending decisions.

The interviewer jotted down every detail of what I said.

I feel like these questions are somewhat unethical. I should be judged on the application I put together and my merits, not on what other schools thought about me.

What are your thoughts?

So what are your thoughts on the original question?

From the stats at the bottom of your post, it's clear that you're a very strong candidate, and you mentioned s/he wrote everything down, so I'd guess that in your particular case, your interviewer was thinking "We really want this guy. What's it going to take to get him/her?" And to answer that question, it would help greatly to know what the competition is -- That's in your particular case, not in general.

In general, it's not an unusual question, and I'd suggest all applicants figure out in advance how much information they want to provide and the overall message they want to send. Whatever they decide (answer specifically / answer vaguely / evade / change the subject) they should not lie outright (they can be caught so easily!) and they should not lose their cool. They should probably also not read much into the question as it's most often pretty innocuous and frequently just small talk.

Can schools see where an applicant has withdrawn an acceptance?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can schools see where an applicant has withdrawn an acceptance?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't think so. When I withdrew from a school post-acceptance, they said that they have communicated this to AMCAS.

That moment when none of your multiple acceptances are willing to give you any financial info until after traffic day:mad::punch::rage:. But it could be worst, I could be sitting on zero acceptances

That moment when none of your multiple acceptances are willing to give you any financial info until after traffic day:mad::punch::rage:. But it could be worst, I could be sitting on zero acceptances
Yeah, that sounds like a t-20 problem.

So AAMC requires you to accept one school by April 30? Is it possible that a school may require you to accept before that?
You may hold as many MD acceptances as you want until April 30. Then, you must reduce to one.