Etiquette - Thank you letters for interviewers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KittyRex

UC Davis SVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions on this?
Is it rude to not send a thank you note to your interviewers post-interview? What if you have already been accepted? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's rude not to, but it's polite to send one...if that makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent flowers to a female LOR write (shaped like a cat--which was also a humane soc fundraiser I think) and a thank you card to the other (male)

Hopefully they put a lot of effort into your letter so it would be nice to thank them for it somehow.

I sent an email thank-you after my interview because I interviewed on a Thursday and the interviewer said she was going to write up the report that weekend. I followed it up with a written thank you note because I am "old school" and the thought of not writing one and only using email kind of bothered me. Plus, maybe she wouldn't have gotten to it that weekend. Thank you notes are nice no matter what, even if you have been accepted. They can reinforce the interviewer's, um, ego ;).

Anyone have any opinions on this?
Is it rude to not send a thank you note to your interviewers post-interview? What if you have already been accepted? :confused:

I fondly remember students for whom I've written letters when they send me a thank you and an update on their application (OK to wait until you hear on vet school).

I quickly forget those who don't

gone

Last edited:
The OP was asking about interviewers though. I would definitely send thank-you's to folks writing LOR's, but I skipped on the interviewers. They're seeings tons of folks and likely aren't going to remember who I am. Besides, it didn't seem to hurt me, I was still accepted at 4 out of the 5 places I applied and interviewed.

My bad. I get them from 5-10% of the interviewees. I do think it's a good idea for the reasons I gave before. The Adcoms will be sitting down shortly after the interviews to do final rankings and refreshing them can only help. A short note will remind them what a nice person you were.

Some schools ask that you don't send thank you notes, though, so be respectful of that. A thank you email/note is nice - and if you are the type of person that would like to do that go ahead - either way it won't alter your chances of getting in.

I think a [written] thank-you card is a nice, appropriate gesture for your interviewers.

Granted, I only interviewed at one place, but I sent both my interviewers a thank-you card.

I think it's the right thing to do for LoR writers as well, especially once you can update them on your application status.

I did thank-you cards to folks I did externships with this past summer as well. I just think it's something relatively simple, easy - and appreciated.

You sound pretty certain.

I was under the impression that interviewers gave their input on an applicant very soon after the actual interview...and decisions were made shortly thereafter, meaning a written card might not make it to them before letters were sent out?

Different at every school, I'm sure - depending on how they do the interviews/decisions.

Not trying to argue - that's just the impression I got.

Members don't see this ad :)
UC Davis asks that people not send them as well, for what it's worth, and additionally says that any sent to the admissions office will not be given to the interviewers until after decisions are made.

I am pretty certain that is the case at most schools. Does CSU accept people based on thank you notes?

Over the last couple of days I polled a few friends from other institutions (Davis, OSU, Minnesota, Tufts, and Penn). While two did say that in their instructions to interviewees they ask the candidates not to send thank you notes, all strongly agree that manners are lacking in the majority of vet students.. and all like getting little thank you notes.. it doesn't happen very often.

I guess I took issue with your remark that it wouldn't make a difference.
While it's obviously not a make or break issue, the interview is your best and last chance to make a positive impression. A little thing like a thank you note, if allowed, could only help that impression. Agreed that decisions will often be made before the card is seen but it's still a nice gesture... and not that you want to plan on reapplying... but another chance to be positively remembered in the next cycle wouldn't hurt either!

I get sore with the attitude that "A thank you email/note is nice - and if you are the type of person that would like to do that go ahead - either way it won't alter your chances of getting in."

Personally I would much rather work with the "type of person that would do that".. and if I knew they were that type of person.. if there was some way to identify that in the VMCAS it would really help narrow the field.

Thanks for letting me vent. :)

Last edited:
Over the last couple of days I polled a few friends from other institutions (Davis, OSU, Minnesota, Tufts, and Penn). While two did say that in their instructions to interviewees they ask the candidates not to send thank you notes, all strongly agree that manners are lacking in the majority of vet students.. and all like getting little thank you notes.. it doesn't happen very often.

it doesn't happen very often because they tell us not to at least in Davis's case. If someone tells me not to do something, I am not going to do it, because I fear that it will leave more of a negative impression for not following directions. If they want to remain neutral on it, remain neutral on it and don't instruct people either way but don't flat out tell people that they shouldn't. A bit of a rant, but I feel that this process is stressful and confusing enough, and having to decide whether your particular interviewer would rather you send a thank you note or would rather you listen to instructions that say not to is absolutely ridiculous. :mad:

It's like your spouse or mom getting mad at you when they tell you not to get them something for a holiday/birthday and you don't. People can't be expected to be mind-readers. Honesty is important too, you know??

Last edited:
I'm thinking the original intent of this thread got lost somewhere along the way. I myself am a "thank you note" writer. It's the way I was raised, and to me the thing to do to express gratitude to a person for whatever reason. My inclination would be to send a note but the hesitation is to not seem like you're "sucking up"! I think that maybe that's what the OP was asking. You want to send a note, but should you.....
I think unless you're told specifically not to, and it makes you happy...DO IT!
Now everybody take a deep breath and relax!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I myself am a "thank you note" writer. It's the way I was raised, and to me the thing to do to express gratitude to a person for whatever reason. My inclination would be to send a note but the hesitation is to not seem like you're "sucking up"!

I was brought up the same way and I can't imagine not sending a note (unless I was specifically told not to). I have sent thank you notes to every job and school interviewer and every LoR writer I have ever had. IMHO, they are giving you their time and energy for something very important - and that is enough by me to send them a little thank you note!

I completely agree that it's a nice gesture and good thing to do, and would definitely do it were it not for the specific mention at the interview orientation saying not to. I mean, I've got pretty regular contact with one of my interviewers now, but because of that discouragement before the interview I did not contact her until after the acceptances/rejections came out. It made me very paranoid.

Such controversy!

This is precisely the reason why I wanted to ask about how appropriate/unappropriate it is to send a thank you note.
I am, also, a thank-you-note-writer by nature and have already sent off cards to all of my recommenders. However, everyone seems to have a different opinion about sending thank you notes to interviewers! I almost didn't send one, just to avoid a vet-school admissions faux pas! You're right, Nyanko. This process is stressful. Sometimes we make it more stressful than it needs to be. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. I have decided to make decisions on a school-by-school basis (provided I end up with more than one set of interviewers to thank!)

I guess I took issue with your remark that it wouldn't make a difference.
While it's obviously not a make or break issue, the interview is your best and last chance to make a positive impression. A little thing like a thank you note, if allowed, could only help that impression. Agreed that decisions will often be made before the card is seen but it's still a nice gesture... and not that you want to plan on reapplying... but another chance to be positively remembered in the next cycle wouldn't hurt either!

I get sore with the attitude that "A thank you email/note is nice - and if you are the type of person that would like to do that go ahead - either way it won't alter your chances of getting in."

Personally I would much rather work with the "type of person that would do that".. and if I knew they were that type of person.. if there was some way to identify that in the VMCAS it would really help narrow the field.

Thanks for letting me vent. :)

My comment was that thank you notes don't alter whether or not you will get in - and they don't as you just agreed.

Personally, I think it is much easier to decide whether you would want to work with someone during the interview (a much better indicator of the type of person someone is) rather than base that on whether or not they sent a thank you note. Applicants put an awful lot of time into this process, and most are very grateful during their interview. I certainly wouldn't judge someone on their character based on whether or not they sent a thank you when it is already a stressful time and some schools blatantly discourage thank you notes.

I sent thank yous to my interviewers at OSU, Auburn, and UTK. My bacteriology prof on my first day at UTK thanked me for my thank you note. I think it's a good idea to send them. But I guess I'm just that type of person.

I sent thank yous to my interviewers at OSU, Auburn, and UTK. My bacteriology prof on my first day at UTK thanked me for my thank you note. I think it's a good idea to send them. But I guess I'm just that type of person.

Note to self: 2011 UTK intern candidates good, OSU mmmm i dunno :smuggrin:

I have to agree with the others. While I don't think a thank you note is going to make or break your application it is a nice gesture. Your interviewers are taking time out of their day to talk with you which is worth a thank you note. Also to any adcomms it makes it much easier to write thank you notes if you give us the names of our interviewers on paper. I was nervous enough at all my interviews that any names given didn't stick. It was fun afterwards trying to figure out who people were by looking at faculty pictures!

I'm sorry you found my original post offensive, but I stand by it. They are nice to receive and it is polite to do so, but they aren't routinely sent.

This year so far, I have gotten thank you notes from less than 5% of the applicants that I interviewed. Granted, it's still early.

Last edited:
I don't think it will destroy your chances, if you send a thank you note. If you send a great one, you might get a letter back.

I know, it makes me feel better when I get an acknowledgment of a letter it took me a while to construct.

Now reading this thread has gotten me very worried that I will be thinking about the names of my interviewers the whole time so I can send thank you letters when I get home. Is this one more thing I must add to the list to remember during my interview, the name of each interviewer and the spelling? Because I'm not sure I can handle much more stress right now...

You can just ask the office person/reception for the names of your interviewers and an address to send thank yous. No need to memorize their names.

I did send thank you cards to my interviewers. When I ran into them again they recognized me by name. One mentioned how nice it was to get a little note.

As other people have said it won't make/break your admissions offer. But it's a nice thing to do and sometimes a little nice-ness can go a long way.

Call me cheap...

At my vet school interviews, I just finished asking my questions and then when the interviewers asked me if I had any other questions, I said, "No questions, but I would like to thank you all for taking the time to interview me" followed by hand shakes.

For my residency interviews, I sent thank you notes to all of my interviewers.

Both strategies worked well.;)