EU citizen, non-EU university -> Residency in UK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

REBM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a 5th year med student from Latin America looking for residency options in Europe. I have italian citizenship by descent. A lot of people from my country (I'm from Paraguay) and other countries in South America usually take the MIR path and try to get a residency spot in Spain because of the language, which is of course one of my options.

Thing is, I've recently read that working conditions in Spain aren't the best right now, and many doctors are actually leaving in search of better jobs. I've been considering other options, and started looking towards UK/Ireland.

I know UK is kind of crowded and getting in the Foundation Programme is really tough for foreigners. Could having EU citizenship make things easier for me despite having studied in a non-EU university? I know I have to pass the PLAB. Also, if I do manage to get into and finish the FP, would I stand on equal grounds with a student from UK after the two years or it'd still be significantly harder for me to get a residency spot in a competitive specialty?

Any information is appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you do finish FP you'll be on equal footing with a UK student since you are an EU citizen with an international degree but you've done the PLAB.

As above.

The FP is blinded as to which medical school you graduated from. As long as you fulfil the requirements to apply for the FP and complete the FP competencies then you will be fine for specialty applications. Note that one must go through the 2-3 year Core Medical/Surgical Training (or equivalent) before becoming eligible to apply for a specialty post. EU and EEA applicants are treated the same as UK citizens for job applications.

Hi, I'm a 5th year med student from Latin America...Any information is appreciated! Thanks