1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Event counting

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by rcwha, May 12, 2008.

1. rcwha

2+ Year Member

Can somebody please explain how to use event counting (step by step) for top front end questions? It seems like that's the way to go in solving those types of questions.

I would greatly appreciate the help...Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. xDent09

2+ Year Member

same here anyone please help

4. theedaddy77

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    good question keep this post alive at the top so maybe someone can answer it

5. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    count the lines. its that simple. once you count think about it logically. The verticals in top and and front are equal for example.

6. CUDental

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    doc basically has it right, but it is hard to explain w/o using visual examples. the lines in one view correspond to events on the 3D object (sides, angles/points, etc.). these events obviously remain the same no matter which view you are looking at (they are fixed parts of the 3D object), so the lines representing them should demonstrate certain similarities between different views. like doc said, the verticals on top will also be verticals from the front. also, the horizontals on top will be verticals from the end. they don't have to be identical lines, since events will look different and therefore be represented differently from the different angles, but they do have to be there. therefore, the number of corresponding lines should remain the same.

i don't think that explanation made much sense, but i never liked event counting in the first place. it would usually only rule out one answer for me, maybe two if i got lucky, so i always found my time best spent just looking at the views and formulating the correct 3rd view in my mind, then finding it in the answers. if it works for you, though, go for it - i may have been doing it wrong or something

7. userah

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yea that's true. event counting on the real DAT never actually works out. at best you'll be able to cross off one answer choice but the time spent counting lines could be better spent just looking at the figures and seeing which is the correct 3d model.

8. hoss19

hoss19 half iron, half man
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    it sometimes works on the real thing...i think it worked for like 4 problems that i had. use it when applicable as a weapon in your arsenal, but certainly not as a be-all end-all strategy. thats my advice.

9. userah

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    since we're on the PAT section...anyone have any tips for the pattern folding section? i can't figure out that section for the life of me and it's always the reason why my PAT scores are lower than they should be...