-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Ever show any animals??? Just for fun! :)
Started by RemyRipper315
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I showed beef cattle in undergrad. Cal Poly Pomona Beef Show Team.
It was fun! If I could have ever afforded (or been allowed) purebred dogs, I would have (but more in obedience, agility, tracking rather than conformation).
"Rigby" was my first steer. Too fat too fast. But he was cute. 🙂
It was fun! If I could have ever afforded (or been allowed) purebred dogs, I would have (but more in obedience, agility, tracking rather than conformation).
"Rigby" was my first steer. Too fat too fast. But he was cute. 🙂
Attachments
I've got Angora goats and showed them for about eight years, less in the last few years because of being farrrr away from them @ vet school. I also love showing dairy cattle, and have also shown beef cattle to a lesser extent, and the occasional sheep through school 🙂
I showed Britannia petite and French lop rabbits in open class (American Rabbit Breeders Association) shows for a few years.
I have shown horse since I was 5 years old. I have not gotten to show as much in the past couple years as I would like(oh, the sacrifices). I just got a new Australian Shepherd that I would love to show. It is just finding the time between school and work.
I had to do that last semester. We were put with a partner and given a holstein heifer that had never been handled. It was our "baby" for 1 1/2 months. We had to feed it, teach it to lead, and get it ready to show. During the getting ready to show part, mine sent me to the hospital. I got kicked while body clipping the "heifer". She kicked me in the knee and in the process caused me to sprain the inside of my ankle. I have had several other sprains before but an inside sprain hurts worse than any others.
I showed Britannia petite and French lop rabbits in open class (American Rabbit Breeders Association) shows for a few years.
Does anybody show guinea pigs? I would just explode from getting the giggles if I went to a guinea pig show.
i never showed guinea pigs, but my 6-8 year old self spent many summer hours at county fairs watching them as my auntie was showing her chickens. totally love 'em - their fur, their sounds, and their scents!! 🙂
and, and, and, petco is having guinea pig races soon! (well, i can't find the link, so don't quote me)...
and, and, and, petco is having guinea pig races soon! (well, i can't find the link, so don't quote me)...
and, and, and, petco is having guinea pig races soon!
I would so pay money to see that!
On a different guinea pig note, do you have to go into lab animal medicine to learn about guinea pigs? I want to be a large animal veterinarian, but I must know all there is to know about guinea pigs! I'll have to join a lab animal medicine club or something...

I am a high school ag teacher and I one of the projects I supervise is the rabbits. The rabbits and cavies (guinea pigs) usually show together....It is really not that exciting. The showman just put them into cages and the judge pulls them out and looks at them and then places the entire class.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On a different guinea pig note, do you have to go into lab animal medicine to learn about guinea pigs? I want to be a large animal veterinarian, but I must know all there is to know about guinea pigs! I'll have to join a lab animal medicine club or something...![]()
hmm... i don't really know, but our clinic sees guinea pigs under "pocket pets" and none of our vets really went into lab medicine. i think they must be included under small animal?? someone will correct me if wrong.
speaking of gp's... my husband and i went to peru for christmas (where they actually eat them), and here's a pic of one at the "castillo de cuy."
Wow! I've never heard of the guinea pig castle.
Is it true that in Peru that guinea pigs roam around in little herds in the wild? I can just imagine falling asleep in the forest and waking up surrounded by a hundred guinea pigs grazing and popcorning and gurgling! My life would be complete then.
Is it true that in Peru that guinea pigs roam around in little herds in the wild? I can just imagine falling asleep in the forest and waking up surrounded by a hundred guinea pigs grazing and popcorning and gurgling! My life would be complete then.
Shown horses all my life (with the exception of this and last year), and I'm taking agility classes with my dog now - which is definitely better entertainment than showing the horses since he's a dopey 2 year old lab! 😀
am i really the only Pony Clubber on this board? and no, you don't have to be 6 years old and riding a Thelwell to be a Pony Clubber. you equestrians need to get more pics up in hizzah.Did anyone ever show any animals before, like for 4H, Block and Bridle, Dairy Science Club, etc.??!
My avatar is the holstein heifer I'm showing this year!! 😍
here's me looking goofy on a badass pony (coincidentally), in a mini prix, and at my pony club A testing (switch ride and then 'my' horse). 😀
I'm off to help with Ayreshires at the easter show next week. Its a great show. www.eastershow.com.au
I wish I could lead them but I think I will get there too late.
I love showing animals though. Does anyone judge? I LOVE judging too. I've entered lots of cattle judging competitions when I was younger and I went to a goat judging school as well. 🙂
I wish I could lead them but I think I will get there too late.
I love showing animals though. Does anyone judge? I LOVE judging too. I've entered lots of cattle judging competitions when I was younger and I went to a goat judging school as well. 🙂
am i really the only Pony Clubber on this board? and no, you don't have to be 6 years old and riding a Thelwell to be a Pony Clubber.
I was a Pony Clubber back when I lived on the east coast, only up until middle school but totally older than 6...
I showed dairy cows, heifers and calfs, beef steers, pigs and sheep. pigs are the best, lol. dairy cows are fun though, especially when you get those wild holsteins that never been handled before, charging and dragging you around the arena. my idea of fun
Wow! I've never heard of the guinea pig castle.
Is it true that in Peru that guinea pigs roam around in little herds in the wild? I can just imagine falling asleep in the forest and waking up surrounded by a hundred guinea pigs grazing and popcorning and gurgling! My life would be complete then.
omg - your image of gp's in the wild had me in stiches... i have heard they run around in little herds, but we didn't see this, and we were in the countryside for half our trip.
the castle of the guinea pigs is in the town of Pisac in the Sacred Valley (near Macchu Pichu).
WEIRD...my mom grew up in Peru and never mentioned to me that they ate guinea pigs!
anyway...i know you guys are talking about showing, but if you just want to have fun with your pet you should check out petsmart. i know they have hamster races (where they're in little balls) and you get to meet other pet parents, but i'm sure if you round up enough people they can start something with guinea pigs. 🙂
anyway...i know you guys are talking about showing, but if you just want to have fun with your pet you should check out petsmart. i know they have hamster races (where they're in little balls) and you get to meet other pet parents, but i'm sure if you round up enough people they can start something with guinea pigs. 🙂
I would so pay money to see that!
On a different guinea pig note, do you have to go into lab animal medicine to learn about guinea pigs? I want to be a large animal veterinarian, but I must know all there is to know about guinea pigs! I'll have to join a lab animal medicine club or something...![]()
Guinea pigs are usually classified in the exotic pet category. For instance, many exotic veterinary seminars will have a class or two on guinea pigs.
The exotic vets I've known tend to categorize them with the rabbits, chincillas, rats, hamsters, gerbils, etc. that constitute the small and furry pets people have. 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 483
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 1K
