Every dog deserves its week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crepitus Fremitus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like lab week. During my PSF the hospital gave everyone in the path department unlimited ice cream (with assorted toppings including oreos, choco chips, and M&Ms).

I don't know why you know about 8-track tape day....My grandfather used to have an 8 track player in his Renault. All of his tapes were of Andy Williams it seemed.

My parents, believe it or not, still have a functional 8-track player. The only tapes that they have are a Christmas tape (which they still play nonstop every Christmas), a tape called "Disco Fever", and an orchestral version of "Jesus Christ Superstar". :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Weil-Felix said:
My parents, believe it or not, still have a functional 8-track player. The only tapes that they have are a Christmas tape (which they still play nonstop every Christmas), a tape called "Disco Fever", and an orchestral version of "Jesus Christ Superstar". :laugh:

Thats funny, growing up I only knew a couple of people still using 8-tracks and they both had jesus christ superstar! I am starting to think that this was given away with all new 8 track players just to point out how groovy it was. The 8 track was pretty cool and I wish it lasted longer than it did...(just like betamax...oh how I loved betamax...)

yaah said:
I have a piano transcription of "I don't know how to love him" which is pretty kickin' when I get going. It has a pretty nice melody.

I am not a huge fan of the main title theme though.

Nothing beats "I don't need your blood money!"

We had a betamax growing up, too. I guess my family is just that cool.

Happy lab week to all!

Wow, I loved our Betamax, too! Our first movies? "Blazing Saddles" and "The Muppet Movie". Kind of explains my personality, I think. :p

I also distinctly remember listening to my mother's 8-track of Carole King's "Tapestry"--a classic.

Yaah, perhaps you should give a SDN recital someday! I always wanted to play the piano, but I had better luck pounding on a set of drums (see personality movie references above).

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Wow, I loved our Betamax, too! Our first movies? "Blazing Saddles" and "The Muppet Movie". Kind of explains my personality, I think. :p

I also distinctly remember listening to my mother's 8-track of Carole King's "Tapestry"--a classic.

Yaah, perhaps you should give a SDN recital someday! I always wanted to play the piano, but I had better luck pounding on a set of drums (see personality movie references above).

Those movies rule. The Muppet Movie is a classic.
Have you tried Hare Krishna?
Kermit: That's a myth. A myth!
Woman: Yes?
People on roof: I don't see any drinks. The bartender said there would be drinks on the house.

Blazing Saddles is also pretty funny.

Carole King, however, I have to raise the protest flag. Her and Barbra Streisand are both monstrously terrible.

I just don't understand the babs phenomenon. She is god awful but people still think she is the world's gift to entertainment. Carole King had some nice tunes I guess but I don't think you can call any of her music "classic." In fact I doubt she would be able to make it in the music business today especially since outward appearance is now the most important thing in an entertainer (ie Brittney Spears) and Carole King looked like she fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down...sad state of affairs for pop culture these days...

*gasps* Sacrelige! I guess it's just because I grew up listening to her that I like that album so much. You're right, she surely wouldn't make it today--I guess a thin blonde with a body trumps talent all the time! :laugh: Honestly, though, I don't like most of the mainstream crud that's out now. If Britney Spears dropped off the planet you wouldn't see me shed any tears!

Gee, perhaps we should start a "what I like to listen to" thread...

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Gee, perhaps we should start a "what I like to listen to" thread...

Classical and opera, most particularly post mozart and pre-stravinsky, although there are outliers.

Favorites: Beethoven (duh), Mahler, Mendelssohn, Mozart, Vaughn Williams, Grieg, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Liszt, Sibelius, and the operas of Richard Wagner and Giuseppe Verdi.

New stuff I have been listening to: Romantic-era piano concertos, specifically Dreyschock, Scharwenka, Moscheles, Fuchs. Unknowns, yes, but really good. Paganini's violin concertos are magnificent.

I am also partial to film music (good stuff, not the "music inspired by" garbage. I'm talking Thomas Newman, Korngold, John Williams, John Debney, and others like them) and celtic music.

Also have developed a recent strange fixation on bluegrass (banjo and fiddle music). Really cool.

Mmm Bop! Da da da Mmm Bop! Sing it with your family! Sing it with your patients! Mmm Bop...

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! Hanson! Make it go away!!

...seriously though. Yaah, you have impeccable tastes. I had a good friend who was a music performance major, and I was amazed at how much music was out there--from composers I have never heard of.

I enjoy classical music, but I really don't have an extensive library. But, at least I've heard of the composers you mentioned. I really need to add to my collection over the summer when I'm home.

One of my favorite pieces (believe it or not) is Igor Stravinsky's Rite of Spring . I've always been a sucker for odd time signatures, and sometimes dissonance sounds...good? (to me, anyway. Perhaps too many years behind the drums).

Besides that, I'm a product of early 90's "alternative" (The Sundays, The Smiths), and I love October Project. I am also a fan of acoustic jazz (trio especially), and Art Blakey played the drums like no other.

Members don't see this ad :)
I listen to a very ecclectic variety of music. For example, in my car I currently have:
Norah Jones: (the new one...can't remember the title. Is it Sunrise?)
Tito Puente: Mambo Birdland
Highlights from Madame Butterfly
Charles Mingus: Let my Children Hear Music
The Chieftans: An Irish Evening
Sarah Brightman: Harem

I guess if I had to lean towards one genre or another, I would say I listen to mostly Jazz and Blues, followed by Folk/World Music.

Weil-Felix said:
Highlights from Madame Butterfly

Ah. Puccini. I saw his birthplace near Pompeii. He had a gift for melody.

Un bel d?, vedremo
Levarsi un fil di fumo
Sull?estremo confin del mare.

And, of course, the Humming Chorus.

If you like M Butterfly, you are likely to enjoy Puccini's other operas, specifically Tosca and La Boheme. Probably would also enjoy Bellini's Norma and some works by Donizetti. The first act of La Boheme is amazing.

Yes, La Boheme is very nice also. I like M Butterfly better, though. Un Bel Di is in my opinion the most magnificent piece ever written. I started out as a music major in college, and I was exposed to a lot of opera during that time. I liked most of it, although I can't say I'm a big fan of Wagner. For our anniversary, I asked my husband to take me to see La Traviata. You would approve of that one, Yaah, being a Giuseppe Verdi fan ;)

I do enjoy La Traviata. I have the score and a recording with Joan Sutherland in the lead role. The aria 'Di Provenza il mar, il suol' is probably my favorite part of it (the bass aria sung by the father). I think Aida is my favorite Verdi opera, although Trovatore has my favorite piece of music - the Di Qu'ella Pira.

Disappointed you don't like Wagner, but I understand. I suggest Die Meistersinger, although it is I believe the world's longest frequently performed opera. Especially because the best parts are in the final scene, some 3+ hours into it (The prize song, and the parades).

My favorite opera moment is the duet "Au fond du temple saint" from Bizet's "The Pearl Fishers" which is heaven on earth. A duet for two tenors, not the most commonly heard thing.

This thread is getting a little too high brow for me. I am completely ignorant to classical music. There was a "symphony" course I almost took in undergrad but I could never get it to fit into my schedule (too many freakin science requirements to fullfill). Hopefully someday I will have the time and motivation to get into it. I guess I will have to stick with the likes of Clay Aiken till then... :p

Pink Floyd.

Hands down greatest band of all time. This is not a joke: under "interests" on the residency application, I listed among other things that Floyd was my favorite band. Each and every department *chair* asked me about it and then a conversation about pure rock and roll ensued. I never once had to sit through some boring contrived talk about how some ensemble that nobody has ever heard of moved them to tears (despite the fact they "read it in a magazine".)

Mindy

Pink Floyd. Hands down greatest band of all time. This is not a joke: under "interests" on the residency application, I listed among other things that Floyd was my favorite band. Each and every department *chair* asked me about it and then a conversation about pure rock and roll ensued. I never once had to sit through some boring contrived talk about how some ensemble that nobody has ever heard of moved them to tears (despite the fact they "read it in a magazine".)

Mindy

you rock mindy, i love to listen to pink floyd. my husband and i were watching a show the other night with an interview of naomi watts (21 grams). the interviewer asked her "what did your father do?" she replied, "he was a sound engineer." he asked "for who?" she said "the rock band pink floyd." an audible sense of amazement went over the audience. not many can make such a claim.

I admit, I do enjoy their Dark Side of the Moon album. It's really like no other I've ever heard before or again, so that's saying something.

And hey, what's wrong with Clay? ;)

Mindy said:
Pink Floyd.

Hands down greatest band of all time. This is not a joke: under "interests" on the residency application, I listed among other things that Floyd was my favorite band. Each and every department *chair* asked me about it and then a conversation about pure rock and roll ensued. I never once had to sit through some boring contrived talk about how some ensemble that nobody has ever heard of moved them to tears (despite the fact they "read it in a magazine".)

Mindy
That's kind of interesting, because I listed opera and classical as an interest, and most of the department chairs asked me about it, and we had good conversations too. Lots of diverse tastes, I guess. Lots of conversations about the red sox too....

I admit I know next to nothing about Pink Floyd. I don't like many modern groups, although U2 holds my interest, as does Coldplay. Both of them, of course, only when they are playing music. When they start talking politically I rapidly get the heck out of earshot. I don't care what you idiots think! You're celebrities! The less I say about Clay Aiken, the better. Didn't he lose American Idol?

I do like 80's music, sadly. Once the Nirvana and Run DMC revolutions hit the country and everything became copycatting, I kind of lost interest. Nirvana was pretty interesting, but everything else just sounds like noise.

Favorite 80's songs:
Total Eclipse of the Heart
Down Under
Africa
Fernando and Dancing Queen (Abba is kind of interesting)
The Living Years
Plus I kind of liked a lot of Billy Joel and Elton John, and even Phil Collins (since that South Park episode with Phil Collins, I can't stop laughing at him though). And I lost respect for Billy Joel when he ditched Christy Brinkley.

Well, that's just about it for National Lab Week, 2004. Hope you all had a good one. Now it's back to the old grind. The bright side-- only 51 more weeks until National Lab Week, 2005.

In all the excitement, I almost forgot about National Cheeseball Day, but then I read this letter and was reminded.

Thanks George!

What a fantastic letter. I wonder if the president has to sign a letter to every group that celebrates a week, day, or even month. Do you think the 8 track people got their own letter? What would it say? Thank you for keeping the magic of the 8-track player in all of our minds?

I will always remember national lab week 2004. Had some laughs, cried a bit, drank a little too much at times, and nearly got into a fight with someone over one of the antibiotic sensitivity levels of a controversial strain of Klebsiella Pneumoniae. Levofloxacin sensitive? Levofloxacin indeterminate? I can't believe we argued so passionately over that. In the end, we compromised and just treated with pip/tazo.

I leave you with a quote from my ID attending this week, when talking about a patient who had otitis media AND a positive blood culture for E. Coli.
-"I don't think the otitis media is the source of his sepsis. You just can't get E. Coli sepsis from an otitis media. Unless, of course, you are a s---head."

I know this is a little late but I felt the need to post regrarding the music stuff. I like all kinds of music, excepting most country, but my favorite genre is hard rock/heavy metal. It sounds like I may be an outcast here in that regard. My favorite bands/artists include the following: Metallica, Anthrax, Meshuggah, Rage Against the Macine, U2, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Eminem, Audioslave, Guns-N-Roses, Pantera, Oasis and Tool.

Pink Folyd is definately cool, I agree. I have Pulse and it rocks.

Lab week is fun. We had free pizza; it's impossible to not like free food as the acquisition of food without cost to us has been ingrained in us since medical school.

You're not alone, BCMD! I was a bit of a "metalhead" growing up: lots of Metallica and Led Zeppelin. I agree--country is pretty much the only type of music I can't listen to for more than a few seconds. :D

Metallica rules. You know, heavy metal and pathology do share common themes. And I am sure that many die-hard metal fans, after years of headbanging, have contributed to the field of pathology (or the pocketbook of the pathologist) in one way or another... :laugh:

I'll have you all know, you have caused me several days of consternation. A pox on you all! May you be forced to summer on Anthrax Island with a restraint free Hannibal Lecter as your only companion. May you acquire a severe case of positional vertigo where standing on your head with your finger up your nose is your only relief. May you catch a contagious pustular rash that can only be cured with rectal medications. May you be forced to sit in a waiting room next to patients with uncontrollable hyperhidrosis and the only thing on the TV is a choice between women's basketball and fear factor.

Why my curses and evil machinations? You have caused, with your discussions of heavy metal, the 90's Def Leppard anthem "Pour some sugar on me" to be playing incessantly in my head. I have tried everything to get this out. Beethoven. Wagner. Mendelssohn. Chopin. Roy Orbison. Elvis Presley. I even tried some polka hits. No success. The Leppard remains. I know none of you mentioned this band or song. But you came too close, apparently. A pox on ye!

yaah

The disease has spread, much like the sasser virus. "Pour some sugar on me" has now crept into the mush of my post-step 1 brain and taken hold. Dammit!

I'll contribute my music taste as well, if only to distract myself from images of sugar in my pants. It ranges from latin rock, punk rock, ska, and one of my faves, the Dave Matthews Band (in the good ol days of crash and before these crowded streets). But I got to say that currently Audioslave is my fave band of the moment

well..so much for that..still got pour some sugar on me on the brain...

Audioslave is fantastic. I've nearly worn out their debut album. I saw them live in Chicago; what an incredible show.

Sorry to have started this Def Leppard curse. Maybe I can dislodge that brilliant piece of hair metal from your brain with a bit more:

"I'm a cowboy/on a steel horse I ride/I'm wanted (wanted)/dead or alive" :horns:

**********Bic lighter held up high*********I'm a cowboy........ :)

How I do despise the dreaded "sugar" song. I actually saw Def Leppard a long time ago (pre-drummer arm amputation). Not a bad show.

Yaah, if it ever happens again, I've heard that if one hums the tune "The Girl from Ipanema", it makes those nasty songs go away. Not sure what you have to do to take IT out of your mind, however! :D

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Yaah, if it ever happens again, I've heard that if one hums the tune "The Girl from Ipanema", it makes those nasty songs go away. Not sure what you have to do to take IT out of your mind, however!

Oh it's quite easy. You gotta whip out the big guns, even bigger than "The Girl from Ipanema"... the most catchy tune ever: "Spanish Flea" by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. Please, only use this as a last resort. The mass application of this song on the general public could have devastating consequences.

I was at some sissy place getting fitted for a tux for a friend's wedding today, and while the wedding planner was talking to me, the radio started blasting Van Halen. I nearly cried.

I grew up with all that stuff. Good times :D

Hey, Van Halen is back on tour! They've got Sammy to rejoin somehow. I gotta go!