everyone who hasn't had any interview invites yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
let's all start a club and support each other! i sure would like to know if other people are in the same boat. anyone thinking of sending updates soon?

Members don't see this ad.

worse, who's thinking about reapplying??!!

No invites for me yet. I'm gonna hold out hope for a little longer before I think about re-applying though. Can you send a letter of interest pre-interview? How significant of an update do you have to have to send a letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same story here.

Let's look on the bright side, if we get just one interview and one acceptance, our decisions on where to go will be easy :)

^^yea...true...but I don't know if I don't want to handle the weight of thinking you really have to ACE that one interview.

No invites for me either. I'm already killing myself to improve my stats for the next round of apps:

- Full-time research, working on 1, maybe 2 future publications
- Full-time student (post-bacc night classes)
- Volunteering at the hospital
- Even considering retaking the MCAT, even though I already have a 36R.

This past few months were very demoralizing to me. I thought that 100%, I would get an interview somewhere by now. I hate myself for letting this happen to me, and I'm going to pay.

I have no interviews and I just got rejected from one of my top choice schools. I'm feeling blue ya'll. Really, like indigo blue. :(

No invites for me either. I'm already killing myself to improve my stats for the next round of apps:

This past few months were very demoralizing to me. I thought that 100%, I would get an interview somewhere by now. I hate myself for letting this happen to me, and I'm going to pay.

Woah 36R... insane! Why are you feeling down?

Probably because his purpose of taking the test wasn't to get a 36R it was to get into medschool.

I doubt this is what's holding you back tho. Even if you could do better I think every school out there accepts a 36 or lower each year so there's something else in your ap. Maybe you applied late like me?

Hey. I am sorry no invites yet. I am sure you will hear soon though.

But I would NOT retake MCAT. That would be an absolute waste of time for you. Your 36R is more than enough to get into top tier schools. If nightmare happens, I would take post-bac classes and do research. Also, I would contact medical schools to see what aspect of application they did not like, or that you can improve on. Good luck, and let us know when ur first invite arrives :)

i think come February with no word is when I will start to go crazy

Don't you dare retake the MCAT. 36R is excellent, and your chances of getting a lower score are probably more likely than getting a higher score.

Looking at your profile, I'm guessing your GPA kind of killed you. You think maybe you should have thrown some lower-tier schools in there, rather than applying to predominantly upper-tier schools? You're kind of at a disadvantage being from Cali, where the state schools are all pretty good.

I'm in the same situation with no interview invites, albiet with even lower stats than some of the other folks here. My MCAT is 3 points lower, and my GPA is 3.3. If a 36/3.5 post-bacc student can't even get an interview, what chance do the rest of us have? :scared: :(

Members don't see this ad :)
have hope!! I have 35Q and my gpa is 3.1 w/ 3.0 BCPM. I got two interview invitation and got accepted to one and withdrew from other. With you stats I am sure you guys will bound to get interview somewhere. In any case as I was informed by one of my professor who is on the adcom of Stony Brook Med, you really start to worry if you dont have any interview invitations by april. after that chances are very slim. so you guys have time..

No invites for me yet. I'm gonna hold out hope for a little longer before I think about re-applying though. Can you send a letter of interest pre-interview? How significant of an update do you have to have to send a letter?

Yes, you can send letter pre-interview.

If your stats are super and you don't get interviews from certain schools, it might be because those schools think you are so good that you won't be going to their schools anyway. Definitely send letter (ideally, with new activities or at least update them on what you have been doing, say that you really want to attend their school) to let them know that you are still interested. After all, you have nothing to lose and a lot of schools are already interviewing for wait-list spots.

no invite so far, "defered for re-evaluation" from Penn, and rejections from Cornell and Vandy. I think I hurt myself my sending in 2nd late (Nov, Dec)

Don't you dare retake the MCAT. 36R is excellent, and your chances of getting a lower score are probably more likely than getting a higher score.

Looking at your profile, I'm guessing your GPA kind of killed you. You think maybe you should have thrown some lower-tier schools in there, rather than applying to predominantly upper-tier schools? You're kind of at a disadvantage being from Cali, where the state schools are all pretty good.

He did. Drexel, Albany, New York Medical College, and Temple are hardly "upper-tier" schools.

And Rosalind Franklin, and George Washington. A good 1/3 (6/18) of all schools I applied to, I thought I had a better application than their "typical applicant". Go figure.

I definitely should write those letters of interest ... but so little time nowadays.

And Rosalind Franklin, and George Washington. A good 1/3 (6/18) of all schools I applied to, I thought I had a better application than their "typical applicant". Go figure.

I definitely should write those letters of interest ... but so little time nowadays.

I was given the very strong impression that GW looks for students who definitely will attend their school -- with 11k applicants, they can afford to be choosy even if their average stats are lower than, say, Harvard. I also was told the why-GW essay (do they have one this year? this was last cycle) is one way they try to separate the genuinely interested from the backup school pile. And I know their law school looks for regional students because they're more likely to actually attend, so it's possible the medical school does something similar.

With your excellent stats, it's possible you didn't sell your interest in the school enough to separate you from the "easy to get into" group and they simply reached for the next application in the pile. Many high-application, low-stat schools act in a similar way.

What is the general consensus about when exactly to really freak out about not hearing anything from schools? Late January? February? March?

Wow, people w/ no invites... same here. I feel like I belong, lol.:p

Except unlike the rest of y'all, I don't have killer stats (3.8 GPA, 30R MCAT, AND I APPLIED LATE!!!!).:scared: :scared:

Goddamn, this sucks. Good luck to the rest of you all.:love: :luck:

wow you guys have incredible stats. How is it that you haven't heard from schools yet? At least I can say that my gpa and mcat just plain sucks :scared:

wow you guys have incredible stats. How is it that you haven't heard from schools yet? At least I can say that my gpa and mcat just plain sucks :scared:

Yea, I know; a 36???!!!! 3.93???!!! Are those admissions committees insane?! But seriously, I think it's b/c they applied late (I know I'm kicking myself in the a$$ right now b/c of it). And I'm sure your scores aren't that bad ;)

Yes! My people!

Has anyone considered having their PI call on your behalf for a courtesy interview?

This process makes me nauseous :barf:

Several pre-interview holds, couple of rejections from schools I had no hope for, and no interview invites. I just hope i get nothing in the mail, cuz u know what that means. Unlike some of you, my MCAT score is letting me down. Few weeks and i will be sinking into despair.

Like you folks, I'm still waiting.:( I finished all my 2ndaries by November, so it's been 2 months. My stats aren't high either. Damn me for applying late.

My mom said 'I just have to wait longer than other people,' and she cited my previous experiences that i waited until everyone got accepted. I'm thinking if i just have to wait due to my karma. :confused: Hopefully, it's not until next year. :(

I'm in the same situation with no interview invites, albiet with even lower stats than some of the other folks here. My MCAT is 3 points lower, and my GPA is 3.3. If a 36/3.5 post-bacc student can't even get an interview, what chance do the rest of us have? :scared: :(

There is plenty of hope....36 is a really good score but there are people with much lower GPA's and MCATS who get into great schools. I know how you guys feel...I was there twice....it took me three cycles to get in. Sometimes, unfortunately, you just have to re-apply....but don't give up!

3.6, 31Q and no interviews from MD schools. i do have a DO acceptance, so thats my plan if i cannot get into my choice schools.

Are schools skeptic of reapplicants? If you applied there last cycle and were rejected, will that play a roll in how they view your app for the next cycle?

He did. Drexel, Albany, New York Medical College, and Temple are hardly "upper-tier" schools.

I know, but that's only 3 out like 15-20 (I forget the exact number). The rest were pretty tough regardless of your numbers.

Just a little encouagement here. I too had no interview invites until this morning (email was dated 1/10) and trust me I wouldn't say I have a stellar gpa nor MCAT. So hold tight u guys and keep believing because the invites will come rolling in soon.
Wishing each and everyone best of luck in this process.............:luck:

no invites, 2 rejections and 1 hold. I feel like i'm gonna kersplode.

:) :) Listen guys,

I know that you will all get interviews. Here is why.

I have 3 interview invites and here are my stats:
AMCAS verified Nov 15, super late
Canadian,
BCPM 3.3, GPA 3.4,
MCAT 28R,
Pretty good EC's,
did not check off URM, but am black.

I know thta my stats are not the greatest in the world, and if i can get an interview, I know you guys will.

Kepp your heads up!!:) :)

Hey guys - I don't want to sound insensitive here, but a good percentage of medical students had to re-app a couple of times before they get the coveted seat. I'm not sure about a formal statistic, but I'd say around 40-50% of the individuals I've come in contact with were re-apps. I know I just sent one of these SDN readers down to the quote button so he can tell me I'm wrong, but these are the students and physicians that I've come in contact with over the past 4 years. And sure enough, this is my first re-app year.

The best advice I can give you guys is to keep your head in the game. You don't need to work 15 hour days to beef up your resume - just focus on the lowest part and make an attempt to bring it up. And 36R guy, I would bet your MCAT isn't the worst part of your application, so leave it alone.

Whatever you do to beef up the application, make sure to apply EARLY. Get your AMCAS in the first day it is available, and have transcripts sent before that. Just in case your personal statements might be holding you back, get other people to edit them - I used professional editing services twice and think it was well worth the money.

Keep your head up and realize that you aren't the exception to the rule. Good luck with your interviews and if it doesn't work out, make your first re-app the only one you have to go through.

<-- 35, 3.93, no invites :(

Either you were really late, or you have no experience. OR I guess you should have included a few schools that aren't considered top tier. Where did you apply?

Generally, when is the time to hit the panic button and realize that plan B might become reality?

Generally, when is the time to hit the panic button and realize that plan B might become reality?

I would probably wait until the end of Feb before plan B officially comes into play. Schools may still be interviewing, but your chances of making this the year are probably slim come that time.

I'm pretty scared of getting the mail these days. It seems that only rejections come in the mail. Interview invites seem to come via email or telephone.

:) :) Listen guys,

I know that you will all get interviews. Here is why.

I have 3 interview invites and here are my stats:
AMCAS verified Nov 15, super late
Canadian,
BCPM 3.3, GPA 3.4,
MCAT 28R,
Pretty good EC's,
did not check off URM, but am black.

I know thta my stats are not the greatest in the world, and if i can get an interview, I know you guys will.

Kepp your heads up!!:) :)

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh...you are not helping!!! I am sure you gave hints in your app that you are black.

Yes, I am a bitter applicant with an average application with no invites and 10/18 rejections...but this process sucks.

I'm sure all you smarty pants out there are BS that people are getting in with crappy GPAs & MCATs. And I'm sure all you people out there who look mediocre on paper but deep in your hearts know this is route for them are probably just as irked.

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle, closer to the latter group, but honestly, I feel schools favor those that 1) can pay 2) mom/dad's a doc and 3)have an endless list of experience that they ONLY did to get into med school.

Seriously, how much of all applicants' experience was just to get into med school? Getting published, volunteering at hospitals, etc. Maybe the kids applying out of college have the time do these things genuinely, but non-traditional students, such as myself, don't have time to do a million and one things with our time. I guess I just wish there was a premed boot camp that would weed out all the phony, money-hungry, power-hungry applicants or those that feel compelled because Daddy's a doc and they just have to become one, too. Lots of applicants desperately want to become a doctor, but some will never get there because of others who want it less, but look better on paper. All this hoop-jumping makes me sick. Someone can have a single medical experience and know right away that medicine is for them. Others can do a multitude of volunteering, research, etc and be blind to the purpose and meaning behind what they're doing. Sorry, I need to shut up. I am sad and bitter for myself, but mostly for all the others out there like me that are not even being given a chance to show the passion in our eyes, face to face with an admission committee.

hang in there irruzzito...good things come to those who wait...i keep telling myself that every day :(

I'm pretty scared of getting the mail these days. It seems that only rejections come in the mail. Interview invites seem to come via email or telephone.

I agree. Way too many letters with the word "regret" in it.

I definitely know people first hand who recieved interviews in Febuary. One of them was accepted to two schools off of waitlists, and one was accepted to the one school where she interviewed. I definitely appreciate hearing hopeful stories, because this process is extremely disheartening at times.

I have not received any invites, just 3 rejections so far. The thought of reapplying used to give me an instant anxiety attack but now I'm more accepting of the possibility. I guess that's what happens when you submit secondaries in Oct. and your latest MCAT score isn't that great. I'll start filling out post-bac program apps. if I don't have good news by March.

Seriously, how much of all applicants' experience was just to get into med school? Getting published, volunteering at hospitals, etc. Maybe the kids applying out of college have the time do these things genuinely, but non-traditional students, such as myself, don't have time to do a million and one things with our time. I guess I just wish there was a premed boot camp that would weed out all the phony, money-hungry, power-hungry applicants or those that feel compelled because Daddy's a doc and they just have to become one, too. Lots of applicants desperately want to become a doctor, but some will never get there because of others who want it less, but look better on paper. All this hoop-jumping makes me sick. Someone can have a single medical experience and know right away that medicine is for them. Others can do a multitude of volunteering, research, etc and be blind to the purpose and meaning behind what they're doing. Sorry, I need to shut up. I am sad and bitter for myself, but mostly for all the others out there like me that are not even being given a chance to show the passion in our eyes, face to face with an admission committee.

It's okay, let it all out. SDN's a good place for venting. I'm with you on a lot of points, especially the one about rich folks and doctor legacies getting special treatment, but do doubt that one single medical experience without any follow-up lets someone know hands down that they have what it takes to become a doctor (but can be quite monumental). If all it took was one experience, there would be plenty of people who witnessed a particularly moving episode of Grey's Anatomy becoming doctors, which would be bad for all of us.

no invites for interviews here either. i'm starting to lose hope for this cycle. Applying late definitely sucks. If I have to reapply, I will be the first person to send in that AMCAS application.