everyone who hasn't had any interview invites yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
no invites for interviews here either. i'm starting to lose hope for this cycle. Applying late definitely sucks. If I have to reapply, I will be the first person to send in that AMCAS application.

Expect competition on my part. Hahha...I'd rather just hope neither of us have to.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope you're feeling better! I agree that school's seem to prefer those with a legacy and the list of experiences... but I dont think schools prefer the "rich" kids because very few people can just cut a check for 30-60k a year. Everyone I know in medical school is up to their ears in loans. I honestly think that medical schools prefer getting confident untraditional applicants because they know that you put a lot of thought into choosing to be a doctor. I think life experiences in general just enhance the application. And you should let them know that... if you haven't gotten interviews yet then start sending letters and call them. I think that's the best answer. Let them know you want to be considered. Make yourself stand out for the other thousands who haven't been interviewed yet.

Anyways, that's just my two cents.

Yes, I am a bitter applicant with an average application with no invites and 10/18 rejections...but this process sucks.

I'm sure all you smarty pants out there are BS that people are getting in with crappy GPAs & MCATs. And I'm sure all you people out there who look mediocre on paper but deep in your hearts know this is route for them are probably just as irked.

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle, closer to the latter group, but honestly, I feel schools favor those that 1) can pay 2) mom/dad's a doc and 3)have an endless list of experience that they ONLY did to get into med school.

Seriously, how much of all applicants' experience was just to get into med school? Getting published, volunteering at hospitals, etc. Maybe the kids applying out of college have the time do these things genuinely, but non-traditional students, such as myself, don't have time to do a million and one things with our time. I guess I just wish there was a premed boot camp that would weed out all the phony, money-hungry, power-hungry applicants or those that feel compelled because Daddy's a doc and they just have to become one, too. Lots of applicants desperately want to become a doctor, but some will never get there because of others who want it less, but look better on paper. All this hoop-jumping makes me sick. Someone can have a single medical experience and know right away that medicine is for them. Others can do a multitude of volunteering, research, etc and be blind to the purpose and meaning behind what they're doing. Sorry, I need to shut up. I am sad and bitter for myself, but mostly for all the others out there like me that are not even being given a chance to show the passion in our eyes, face to face with an admission committee.

Yeah, so here's my grand tally so far:

21 - schools
4 rejections
and nothing else.

So. depressed. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
:) :) Listen guys,

I know that you will all get interviews. Here is why.

I have 3 interview invites and here are my stats:
AMCAS verified Nov 15, super late
Canadian,
BCPM 3.3, GPA 3.4,
MCAT 28R,
Pretty good EC's,
did not check off URM, but am black.

I know thta my stats are not the greatest in the world, and if i can get an interview, I know you guys will.

Kepp your heads up!!:) :)

What does "checking off URM" mean? Do you mean that you did not check that you were disadvantaged (diff from URM) or that you did not check that you were black?

yah, sorry, I meant the disavantaged status. I did check that I was black and other, as i am mixed.

I liked how another thread put it as: the silent treatment, LOL. To make me feel better I though "what's the worst that could happen? not getting accepted?" :( . Even with the time going by, I still have hope and look forward to good news each day, I know is hard but give it a try. As a matter of fact, last night I started making an apartment wish list because I'm moving out no matter the outcome, it makes me look forward to something new. And I'm looking to try a new sport to distract my mind a bit. Any of you looking for ways to make this waiting game a peachy one?

I liked how another thread put it as: the silent treatment, LOL. To make me feel better I though "what's the worst that could happen? not getting accepted?" :( .

How about having nothing to show for your $2000+ investment in application fees? It is a huge sum of money for someone like me.

hey folks, things have been slow for me also, but yesturday I checked my email and got an interview invite from Rosalind. The date is Feb 22 so i think there is still a month or so of hopeing for interviews as most schools interview till marchish.

How about having nothing to show for your $2000+ investment in application fees? It is a huge sum of money for someone like me.

No interviews with your numbers? Thats insane - you weren't throwing around racial slurs in your PS were you...

No interviews with your numbers? Thats insane - you weren't throwing around racial slurs in your PS were you...

Wait wait wait. You mean we weren't supposed to use racial slurs? I thought they were looking for something to catch their attention, make me stand out. Maybe I shouldn't have watched the Mind of Mencia marathon while writing my personal statement...

Did you apply to some really hard schools or something? If you apply to some middle of the road MD schools, I would think you would definitely get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totaly bombed the MCAT and got a 18P, but have a 3.5gpa, 7 years medical experience, 5 years Navy experience, and some hot recommendations...lol. I was sure to be rejected by all the schools by now. But suprisingly I have only recieved one, which may seem wierd. I am still waiting on responses from 4 apps to MD schools (including one IVY league), and 4 apps to DO schools. I have heard of low MCATers getting in before perhaps my other stuff may pay off. Or maybe the schools just do wholesale rejections. In any case who knows what really gets people in med school. Good luck to everyone.

Same worst case scenario after the $2000+ investment: not getting accepted, in addition to eating Wonder bread and tuna fish sandwiches as meals for a bit to make up for the lost dough. I feel you man...(or girl).

yeah...sounds about right...as i continue to keep adding to the "losing all my money in applications" fund without hearing back from any of them :(

Hehe, fairly close to me in stats, but at least you got secondaries from the UC's so they could then take your money and reject you later. Other than my one interview/hold I feel the same way as you. Also, I did not write racial slurs in my PS =)

Hehe, fairly close to me in stats, but at least you got secondaries from the UC's so they could then take your money and reject you later. Other than my one interview/hold I feel the same way as you. Also, I did not write racial slurs in my PS =)

I'd feel so much better if I had even one interview to show for all of this. Even if it resulted in a waitlist at this point.

Unfortunately, once you submit your secondaries there is little that you can do until you get an interview. I feel so helpless in this process at this point as I've already sent Fall grade updates to the schools that haven't rejected me, and Letters of Intent will fall on deaf ears because I've heard that they don't' consider those until they have already interviewed you. So there is nothing to do but wait and think about the next interview season. :scared: :thumbdown:

Edit: as I was writing this, UF emailed me and said they hadn't rejected me yet and that I'm still in the huge stack of people they are sifting through for possible interviews. At least I've heard something more than silence this calendar year! :D :) :oops: :eek: :scared: :sleep:

I totaly bombed the MCAT and got a 18P, but have a 3.5gpa, 7 years medical experience, 5 years Navy experience, and some hot recommendations...lol. I was sure to be rejected by all the schools by now. But suprisingly I have only recieved one, which may seem wierd. I am still waiting on responses from 4 apps to MD schools (including one IVY league), and 4 apps to DO schools. I have heard of low MCATers getting in before perhaps my other stuff may pay off. Or maybe the schools just do wholesale rejections. In any case who knows what really gets people in med school. Good luck to everyone.

You HAVE to retake the MCAT.

Am I being too optimistic if I think that no news is good news? I mean, they haven't rejected us yet either, right?:confused:

Am I being too optimistic if I think that no news is good news? I mean, they haven't rejected us yet either, right?:confused:

Plan for the worst but hope for the best, is what I always say.

i'm pessimistic...what are the chances that they'd invite us for interviews if there are still other applicants before us, but that's considering that I was complete at most schools pretty early.

I used to think that silence was golden and no news was good news (excited everytime my mailbox was empty) but now it's nearly the end of interview season and i still haven't heard from 15 schools.. is everyone waiting till april so they can all reject me at once? or is there still hope....

^^yea...true...but I don't know if I don't want to handle the weight of thinking you really have to ACE that one interview.

Don't remind me...I only have one interview so far and the pressure is ON.

^^good luck..where are you interviewing at?

You even applied to an ivy league ? when you cuold have saved your money for LAS VEGAS.

anyone have any good news and get some invites recently?

i got my first interview last week - first time august mcat-er & AMCAS verified 11-6. I'm hoping to hear from more schools but i guess beggars can't be choosers :)

good luck to all:luck:

Hey. I am sorry no invites yet. I am sure you will hear soon though.

But I would NOT retake MCAT. That would be an absolute waste of time for you. Your 36R is more than enough to get into top tier schools. If nightmare happens, I would take post-bac classes and do research. Also, I would contact medical schools to see what aspect of application they did not like, or that you can improve on. Good luck, and let us know when ur first invite arrives :)

off topic
is that han ga in on your avatar?

i think im just going to off myself pretty soon. :(

There's still two months left. And if that doesn't work, more e.c.'s right now and then, apply once more. Pretty sure you'll get in with your numbers after that. Look at a couple SMP's as well, just in case. And if everything fails, there's always the caribbean to get that MD. Millions of miles to go before giving up on this medicine stuff.

Don't lose hope just yet. I was AMCAS verified 10/26, all secondaries completed from 11/1-12/1, and while I did just get rejected from BU pre-interview today (I do believe Boston, as a city, hates me), i've received interviews invitations from NJMS, RWJ, Temple, Jefferson, Georgetown, GWU, and NYMC within the past two weeks.

34R, 3.6 for all that will ask.

are you sure they didn't lose your application?

This is definitely a possibility. You'd be surprised at what some of these schools can do with these apps. I called a few places with my stated intent as, "I just wanted to see what my status was and make sure my app wasn't lost." Sure enough, one school told me my app had been marked as reviewed, and that I should have been invited for interview by now :mad:

I'm in the same situation with no interview invites, albiet with even lower stats than some of the other folks here. My MCAT is 3 points lower, and my GPA is 3.3. If a 36/3.5 post-bacc student can't even get an interview, what chance do the rest of us have? :scared: :(

He's from California. If he were in Florida or Texas or certain other states, I'd venture to guess he'd already have an interview by now.

i think im just going to off myself pretty soon. :(

Maybe you should expand upon your ECs some. Your numbers are good but you should apply more broadly and work on your ECs some more. Maybe think about doing the NIH IRTA program for a year or something clinical for a year.

No offense but if you don't get in this year, YOU HAVE NO CHOICE but to take the MCAT unless you are content on settling with carribbean schools or some DO schools.

Ok, what are my chances? I graduated from an ivy with a good gpa (3.8) and did postbacc classes for the sciences (3.4 gpa). A few years of solid work experience in the field, 8 publications, great letters of rec, solid ECs but a 23P. I've been rejected from 3 schools already, but still have 7 apps out...

Ok, what are my chances? I graduated from an ivy with a good gpa (3.8) and did postbacc classes for the sciences (3.4 gpa). A few years of solid work experience in the field, 8 publications, great letters of rec, solid ECs but a 23P. I've been rejected from 3 schools already, but still have 7 apps out...

Sounds like you have a great application until you get to the MCAT. Honestly I think that your chance of nailing an allo school with that MCAT is going to be tough, but not impossible. The rest of your stellar application might help take some of the attention from the MCAT.

Honestly, you need to retake the MCAT ASAP. It's not too difficult to score 27 or above, and if you were to do this I have no doubt you'd have an allo spot with your resume.

Sounds like you have a great application until you get to the MCAT. Honestly I think that your chance of nailing an allo school with that MCAT is going to be tough, but not impossible. The rest of your stellar application might help take some of the attention from the MCAT.

Honestly, you need to retake the MCAT ASAP. It's not too difficult to score 27 or above, and if you were to do this I have no doubt you'd have an allo spot with your resume.

Agreed. The poster whom you responded to needs to RETAKE THE MCAT. There's no way around it.

The rest of the app sounds solid with the exception of that one factor.

Don't give up hope....I hear this year there is an abnormal number of applicants and some people in the med school offices when I've called said they will be interviewing longer than usual.

I totally feel you when you are a stellar applicant and then one thing just killed you. For me it was verbal.

3.8 GPA 3.7+ Science.... 11 and 12 on the science subsections, R on writing...and a 6 on verbal :mad:

I only have one interview and the pressure is definitely on.

^^good luck..where are you interviewing at?

Interviewed at Downstate on the 24th...I think I ended up doing decently well enough. In retrospect I should not have brought up the fact that I hadn't taken Biochemistry lol.

I think right now I'm basically trying to figure out what I'm going to be doing if I don't get in. I think I'd start doing research work since my clinical experience is already decent. And I'll throw in volunteering in the ER on top of that, so that come this time next cycle I'll have research, plus clinical experience, plus volunteering. Oh and take biochemistry too, lol.

Then nobody will be able to stop me! lol

Agreed. The poster whom you responded to needs to RETAKE THE MCAT. There's no way around it.

The rest of the app sounds solid with the exception of that one factor.

I actually retook the mcat today. i don't think it went very well at all - despite the fact that i really studied hard. i feel so discouraged...i mean, can i really take it a third time? how stupid is that going to look?