Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You made a lot of good points. If I get into a cheaper In State school, I'll probably go there but if not, matriculating into EVMS is an amazing option. Turning down an MD acceptance is definitely not the move lol. I like everything about the program/school except the price. And after doing some more research, the COA is not out of the ordinary for OOS schools. Makes me wonder how the average debt is still <250k.It's accurate. It sucks. There is no significant grants or scholarships.
I will say that the program is very good at what it does and if you can complete the program successfully your chance of getting into medical school is very good. The cost ****ing sucks for OOS students but what can you do. If you get lucky you get into another cheaper OOS school or an ISS while doing the program and you leave EVMS after the masters. If you dont get lucky and get into EVMS you either matriculate at EVMS or deny the acceptance and hope you get an acceptance somewhere cheaper the next year, but I am fairly certain that the fact you turned down an MD acceptance goes on your AMCAS application. The way I think about it is you either get lucky or you postpone a year and hopefully got somewhere cheaper but by doing this you are saving money on tuition but you are losing out on a year of attending money which in all likelihood will negate any tuition savings unless you get into a really cheap ISS like texas. Being an older non-trad with a family I did the math before attending and realized it made financial sense to go with the program the only specialties is really closes are the lowest of the low reimbursing ones like genetics or infectious disease (average income <$200k/yr). Every other specialty can pay off the money you just have to live like you're making $75k/yr for a few years after residency.