EVMS Med Masters 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I was accepted to EVMS 1 year without an MCAT score a few weeks ago. I was also accepted to Temple's ACMS program that comes with a guaranteed MD offer to Temple's MD program. There are obvious pros to the guaranteed program, but I would like to stay in VA if possible (family, friends, I like trees, not a fan of crime). My biggest concern with EVMS is that it is not a guaranteed shot to staying at EVMS. Temple's ACMS contract states that you must receive a 3.6 GPA in their program and a 509 by May of 2021. If I have these at EVMS, what will my chance be of getting an offer?
I would like to stick with EVMS, this state is my home and EVMS is an incredible program that I have wanted to go to for the past few years. But this guarantee is throwing me off.

I would absolutely stick with ACMS unless money is a big issue for you. As the other poster said, you would be shooting for (above) a 3.6 anyway. Also if you want to do research or specialize in something ultra competitive, I’m not saying that EVMS can’t do that for you, but it should be easier at Temple as they have more resources for that. Just my two cents tho; congrats on your acceptance !! You’re gonna do great regardless of where you go :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for your response! Do you mind if I message you privately to ask a couple of questions? Also a CA applicant.

Feel free.

Did anybody else really struggle with the "why are you applying to an SMP/EVMS" essay? The rest of my application is ready to submit, but I've hated each of my drafts for this second essay so I haven't applied yet. Did y'all write this like a personal statement with stories or just a straightforward response?

Just a straightforward response is fine. Honestly not sure what they want from that essay that isn't already in your application besides maybe making sure you have some insight into why you need an SMP.

Hey guys! I was accepted to EVMS 1 year without an MCAT score a few weeks ago. I was also accepted to Temple's ACMS program that comes with a guaranteed MD offer to Temple's MD program. There are obvious pros to the guaranteed program, but I would like to stay in VA if possible (family, friends, I like trees, not a fan of crime). My biggest concern with EVMS is that it is not a guaranteed shot to staying at EVMS. Temple's ACMS contract states that you must receive a 3.6 GPA in their program and a 509 by May of 2021. If I have these at EVMS, what will my chance be of getting an offer?
I would like to stick with EVMS, this state is my home and EVMS is an incredible program that I have wanted to go to for the past few years. But this guarantee is throwing me off.

Double check with Temple, as in actually call the program, about the guaranteed acceptance. Ask what percentage of the class usually hits the cut off? If everyone in the class hits the cut off do you have room for all of us? Has anyone hit the cut off and not gotten in? If so why? If it is an actual guarantee then take a look at cost if its going to cost say less than $200k more (as in cost of temple - cost of evms <$200k) to go to temple than I say go with temple if it is going to be more than that then it becomes a bit harder of a question.

Basically find out the small print on that guaranteed acceptance and make sure you get it from the actual program not here on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! In the PostBacCas portal system there is a generic Personal Statement section and I’m a little hesitant on what to submit. I am applying to EVMS as well as two other programs and all three will see this same statement since it’s part of the generic application. Could anyone give me insight on what to do about this? I already wrote my EVMS 2nd statement, so I’m essentially ready to hit submit. Thank you!

Hey guys! In the PostBacCas portal system there is a generic Personal Statement section and I’m a little hesitant on what to submit. I am applying to EVMS as well as two other programs and all three will see this same statement since it’s part of the generic application. Could anyone give me insight on what to do about this? I already wrote my EVMS 2nd statement, so I’m essentially ready to hit submit. Thank you!

Hey there :) for the first PS, I did a why medicine and did not make it specific to any school. And then I think in the EVMS supplement I made it not even why medicine as much as why EVMS. So I had two separate essays! Lemme know if that helps :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there :) for the first PS, I did a why medicine and did not make it specific to any school. And then I think in the EVMS supplement I made it not even why medicine as much as why EVMS. So I had two separate essays! Lemme know if that helps :)

Awesome thank you! This was what I was hoping for.

I applied to the ACMS prorgam as well and am still waiting to hear back regarding my application. I saw from a previous ACMS student on a different SDN page that in a typical year, out of the 60 or so students that get into the program only about 2 to 3 don't get in to the med school either due to disciplinary action or due to not hitting the grade cut-off. From all the research I have seen, EVMS's Med Masters and Temple's ACMS are two of the best linkage programs there are so your predicament ain't a bad place to be!

I have a stupid question, if we are OOS for Virginia rn, would doing the masters unlock IS tuition for us?

@Sjo @Abraxas65 what other med schools besides ECMS do masters kids get into? And does EVMS help you generate a school list even if you’re applying before the (1year) program starts?

Students have been accepted to many schools across the country. We encourage you to apply where you are competitive in terms of MCAT & experience. You are given assistance on your medical school applications before starting the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a forum/Facebook page for EVMS student housing? I believe I read in some of the old messages that there is or will be a Facebook page for EVMS students looking for roommates and such?

Accepted students are invited to join the facebook group where the internal housing document is posted!

Hey guys! I have some questions for anyone who's in the program or who may have the answers!

1. Why is there such a difference in number of acceptances between the 1 and 2 yr program? The 1 year accepts about 60 right and how come the 2 year only accepts around 20?
2. Has anyone applied to the 1 year only and got rejected and then they said that they will offer you a spot in the 2 year? If so, were you fine with that and should you call admissions and try to convince them that you have the required credentials for the 1 year and ask them to reconsider your app? I know the 2 year program is for people who don't have a lot of volunteering and shadowing experiences but what if you have well over the average amount of hours? Wouldn't that just be a repeat? Also they take the Kaplan MCAT course, but again what if you have already taken that?
3. Are med masters students invited to all of the things the medical students are invited to? (med school prom, etc.)

Thanks!

The 2 year program offers more resources in terms of physician shadowing & MCAT prep, so because of that the cohort is smaller. We have a limited amount of physicians available for shadowing so we limit the number to ensure those students are able to get the experience they need.

If the committee feels a student would be better suited for the other program, that is something that can be suggested. Typically if a student has the necessary experiences hours and MCAT, the 2 year wouldn't be recommended.

Med Master's students do have the opportunities that med students do in terms of organizations and activities.

The 2 year program offers more resources in terms of physician shadowing & MCAT prep, so because of that the cohort is smaller. We have a limited amount of physicians available for shadowing so we limit the number to ensure those students are able to get the experience they need.

If the committee feels a student would be better suited for the other program, that is something that can be suggested. Typically if a student has the necessary experiences hours and MCAT, the 2 year wouldn't be recommended.

Med Master's students do have the opportunities that med students do in terms of organizations and activities.

If the students have the hours and not the MCAT yet, should they still consider applying to the two year program?

did you submit anything in place of the mcat (GRE, practice scores etc)? I want to apply butI’ve been holding off because I don’t have an MCAT score.

Submitting practice scores and your planned MCAT date will help with your competitiveness for the program at this point!

Does anyone know how long we have to accept the offer after acceptance? I was accepted last week and it only said to pay the deposit within 10 days of accepting the offer, however it never said how long we actually have to accept the offer.

10 days. Paying the deposit is considered accepting the offer.

Hey everyone! I was accepted to the 1-year program last week (4/21), my application was complete the week before (4/16). I was hoping I could message someone to discuss the process of concurrently applying to MD schools while taking the program, as well as resources EVMS provides to do this? Thanks!

If you still have questions about this email [email protected]. You should have received an email already, but if not or it you have other questions please email! :)

FB Group (1 year) search "EVMS Medical Master's 1 year c/o 2021"
FB Group (2 year) search "EVMS Medical Master's 2 year c/o 2022"

FB group membership is only for admitted students, so only those officially admitted should submit to join :)

If the students have the hours and not the MCAT yet, should they still consider applying to the two year program?

Depends on what your practice scores are looking like. If your practice scores have you in the high 490s to low 500s, the 2 year might be recommended. If you get accepted to the 2 year based on this, take the MCAT this summer and get above a 503, you could have the opportunity to move to the 1 year.

Hi all! Would it be too late to apply to the 2-year program...does anyone have any thoughts on this?

To those who were accepted, did you receive your credentials yet? I was accepted back in December and I just received them today but got a weird email like 10 minutes after saying to
Hi all! Would it be too late to apply to the 2-year program...does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I dont think so. I've seen other years posts where people got accepted into june/july.
I say go for it. they have a VERY quick turn around time so the sooner you submit it the better.. good luck!

To those who were accepted, did you receive your credentials yet? I was accepted back in December and I just received them today but got a weird email like 10 minutes after saying to

I dont think so. I've seen other years posts where people got accepted into june/july.
I say go for it. they have a VERY quick turn around time so the sooner you submit it the better.. good luck!
Ah will do then, thank you!!!

I didn’t, but I was accepted on 5/1 so I was going to wait the 10 days before reaching out. Do you receive them electronically or by post mail?

Also, could someone clarify the MCAT requirement? I was not able to take it this Spring so do they need me to take it this summer still in August or can I take it at the end of my first year?

Oops sorry, I could have sworn I finished my sentence before submitting lol. It was supposed to say that I was accepted a while ago but did not receive my credentials till today and then I received a weird email saying to disregard the previous email..

@Vanilla98 I have been receiving everything electronically

Also, could someone clarify the MCAT requirement? I was not able to take it this Spring so do they need me to take it this summer still in August or can I take it at the end of my first year?
The MCAT is waived for the MM program. If accepted, you must take it by November 15th b/c that's the deadline to submit your AMCAS application to their MD program. If you decide to take it after completing the MM program, then you will have to apply for the next cycle.

Reactions: 2 users

I have not received mine yet :unsure: I was accepted 4/15 and still waiting. Emailed them yesterday and admissions said that everyone should get them by the end of this week.

App submitted on the 24th, accepted on May 1st! Super excited!

Reactions: 3 users
Was your first essay the same as your postbac PS? I'm a bit confused on this as well - 2 essays for EVMS + the post bac (3 essays) or 2 in total?

Hey let me try to clarify!

PostBacCAS makes everyone fill out a Why medicine essay. This is essay #1 and I wrote about why med and a paragraph in that essay was also dedicated to why I needed a postbacc

EVMS has a supplemental “why EVMS” essay where I talked about EVMS and how it would help me as opposed to any other school.

Did anyone add a bunch of experiences in their application section or only in the resume? Because some supervisors no long over certain organzations so would be hard to reach them.

Has anybody that has been accepted to the program have any luck finding a place for housing? I have contacted the people in the list provided in the Facebook group, but so far, no luck. I was wondering how everyone else is doing.

Has anybody that has been accepted to the program have any luck finding a place for housing? I have contacted the people in the list provided in the Facebook group, but so far, no luck. I was wondering how everyone else is doing.
I referred back to email that was sent to us about the Facebook group and housing. Decided to apply to on campus housing and submitted my app on Saturday. Hopefully will hear something back soon. They said they have availability for July.

For those who haven’t taken mcat, it says to email them a projected date. Does that mean just write to them the date you are planning to sign up for. Or send them a screenshot of mcat registration?
The MCAT is waived for the MM program. If accepted, you must take it by November 15th b/c that's the deadline to submit your AMCAS application to their MD program. If you decide to take it after completing the MM program, then you will have to apply for the next cycle.

For those who haven’t taken mcat, it says to email them a projected date. Does that mean just write to them the date you are planning to sign up for. Or send them a screenshot of mcat registration?
Generally, you want to email them the date you’ve registered for the mcat. If you haven’t registered, a projected date fine. Screenshots are not required.

I looked on zillow, apartments.com and stuff. I didnt go through the evms housing options. But alexander at ghent I've heard was great and ghent village as well

Hi everyone! Does anyone think living in Downtown Norfolk and taking the train into campus is not a great idea?

Hi everyone! Does anyone think living in Downtown Norfolk and taking the train into campus is not a great idea?

You won’t be the only student who lives downtown and quite a few of them really enjoy it. Only real downside is it costs a bit more (at least when I looked 3 yrs ago) and the commute while not bad by any means is still a bit longer than if you live in Ghent.

Hi everyone, I'm totally new and still not 100% sure how this forum works but I wanted to ask a few questions! How long did it take everyone's postbacCAS application to be verified? I'm really concerned about it since I saw on the FAQs it can take up to 4 weeks!

Hi everyone, I'm totally new and still not 100% sure how this forum works but I wanted to ask a few questions! How long did it take everyone's postbacCAS application to be verified? I'm really concerned about it since I saw on the FAQs it can take up to 4 weeks!
It took me 3 days.

It took 2 days

Finally submitted my app! My postbaccas is already verified from applying to another SMP so hopefully it will find its way to EVMS quickly.

Hey all, I only recently found out about this program and am incredibly interested as EVMS is my number one choice for med school this upcoming cycle! I was wondering if I have any chance of getting into their 1-year program with my stats?

cGPA: 3.45, sGPA: 3.57, MCAT: 499->504 (retake, and this is where I'm concerned about my app). 90 hours shadowing. 2000 hours EMT (volunteer) and 1500 scribing (paid). 60 hours providing companionship to elderly. No research experience. Good LORs and all my volunteer experience is in rural areas serving the underserved.

I already have the postbacCAS completed from another application, so I can get it submitted in a couple days if you guys think I'd have a shot at getting in. Thanks a lot!

I’m applying with far lower stats than yours so I would say it’s worth a shot! Although you also might ask yourself if you want to spend the extra money on a masters versus perhaps just an MCAT prep course. I think if you increased your MCAT score you’d be a competitive applicant without needing to go the SMP route. Just my opinion though

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all, I only recently found out about this program and am incredibly interested as EVMS is my number one choice for med school this upcoming cycle! I was wondering if I have any chance of getting into their 1-year program with my stats?

cGPA: 3.45, sGPA: 3.57, MCAT: 499->504 (retake, and this is where I'm concerned about my app). 90 hours shadowing. 2000 hours EMT (volunteer) and 1500 scribing (paid). 60 hours providing companionship to elderly. No research experience. Good LORs and all my volunteer experience is in rural areas serving the underserved.

I already have the postbacCAS completed from another application, so I can get it submitted in a couple days if you guys think I'd have a shot at getting in. Thanks a lot!
I had slightly lower stats and got accepted.