EVMS post-bacc; is it worth the price/time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Septimusseverus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I recently got accepted to the "medical masters" program at Eastern Virginia Medical School. It's a one-year program and according to their website, 90% of their students get into med school afterwards.

But I haven't seen any other reviews about it online, which is strange. The price also seems to be very steep.

Anyone have experience with EVMS Med Masters, or post-baccs in general? I need help deciding if I want to do this. I have a pretty low GPA (3.2) and MCAT (30), with good/great extracurriculars.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I recently got accepted to the "medical masters" program at Eastern Virginia Medical School. It's a one-year program and according to their website, 90% of their students get into med school afterwards.

But I haven't seen any other reviews about it online, which is strange. The price also seems to be very steep.

Anyone have experience with EVMS Med Masters, or post-baccs in general? I need help deciding if I want to do this. I have a pretty low GPA (3.2) and MCAT (30), with good/great extracurriculars.

I am always a little leery of such claims about acceptance rates. Any program stating X% of their graduates get into med school (assuming that number is much above the national average of 40%) is at least being somewhat selective as to the students they select. If you receive an offer of admission to their post-bacc, they believe you can get into medical school -- probably with or without their help. In other words, their invitation is probably all you really need. OTOH, the fact that your GPA is weak and your MCAT is marginal means that for MD programs, they might be able to help you out. If you don't mind DO programs, I would apply to them and if you don't get in THEN do the post-bacc.

since this is a master's program (is it an SMP?) then that is different from post-bacc work. post-bacc work is when someone with a BA or BS degree takes undergraduate coursework to raise their undergrad GPA. any type of graduate program such as a master's program will not impact the undergrad GPA. SMPs are worth the money for people with low GPA's, assuming you do well. if you do well it can make up for the low GPA and you will find people on SDN who had 3.0 GPAs, did well in an SMP and are in med school now. however if you do poorly in the SMP med school chances are pretty much over

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
finishing EVMS 'med masters' is almost a guaranteed acceptance into their medical school. They will accept almost the entire masters class of the WL before they consider anyone else. I know graduates of the program who barely passed and they were accepted to EVMS. essentially you're paying 25K for a useless masters degree and an acceptance to EVMS

Reactions: 1 user