Evms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, I got my waitlist letter on Friday. Oh well, hopefully we get pulled off the list :oops:. Time to start bugging the office haha. I sent in updated transcripts, but maybe they made their decision before then. I posted my stats earlier for those who want to know. Anyway, good luck everyone and congrats to all those who got in !!

Members don't see this ad.

i got my waiting list letter today (sent out april 18). i called up the office and was told that i'm somewhere in the middle, and that there are about 200 people on the list. and also that the process could play out until the beginning of august. looks like i'll need to start looking for a job for next year...:(

200?! I guess they waitlist everybody...

Members don't see this ad :)
because i just saw some speculation in the older posts above: the presence of the waiting list does confirm that all 20 spots for the program have indeed been filled. but there should be movement after may 15 or so.

because i just saw some speculation in the older posts above: the presence of the waiting list does confirm that all 20 spots for the program have indeed been filled. but there should be movement after may 15 or so.

Post May 15th and hopefully many of the people accepted will end up at another SMP :p

Does EVMS have any additional programs for people who don't get into medical school immediately after completing medical masters... like research fellowships or something like that?

Got my waitlist letter today...this is looking to be fairly common.

2.9 & 10/10/9, non-trad.

got my waitlist today too.... sad day for me

hmmm........if all 20 spots have been filled and i haven't received my waitlist letter (guessing b'cuz they haven't reviewed my app yet)......does that mean my application was essentially useless?? :mad: what would they need to review more applications these next two weeks for......i guess to decide whether they should be put more people on the waitlist.....or.....hmmmm maybe put more people on the waitlist......all this is really depressing......depressing indeed......

is there anyone here that received a waitlist that completed near the deadline?

I called yesterday and Nicole told me that my application still needed to be reviewed (it was complete on march 30th). They will be let me know in the next two weeks, anyways best case scenario is that I get waitlisted.:(

I called yesterday and Nicole told me that my application still needed to be reviewed (it was complete on march 30th). They will be let me know in the next two weeks, anyways best case scenario is that I get waitlisted.:(

did she say all positions had been filled already?

:( so yea.......confirmed my waitlist with nicole this afternoon......turns out i'm in the middle of the waitlist......o yea.....she also confirmed that all positions had been filled thus far (meaning all offers had been made......) i can understand having hope same time last year.....but seeing the waitlist move all the way down to ~100 seems *highly* unlikely.......anyone else concur?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone currently in the program or who was in it in past years provide any insight as to how far the waitlist generally moves?

I asked Ms. Priest today about the WL, and she said it really depends on the year. I didn't ask about how many people were on the WL. From the previous post around 200 or so? I would assume the 200 or so on the WL are all of the people who apply to BU, GT, Cinci, etc...so hopefully the list really moves down.

I realllly want EVMS also, seems like a great smp

BTW--seems like people in the past got an actual number for their WL status, like #25, did any of you get this? I just got what third I am in...

i was told i was in the middle... it took nicole like half a second to tell me that. I think she has the list right in front of her right now and all she is doing all day is tell students where they are on the waitlist. So i don't think they are going to go through half the waitlist (#100??)... lets hope i get into other schools.... i think i need to apply to more schools now. Does anybody know of any other programs that are still accepting applications....

i was told i was in the middle... it took nicole like half a second to tell me that. I think she has the list right in front of her right now and all she is doing all day is tell students where they are on the waitlist. So i don't think they are going to go through half the waitlist (#100??)... lets hope i get into other schools.... i think i need to apply to more schools now. Does anybody know of any other programs that are still accepting applications....

Try to keep hope, I know I am *trying* to...

RFU/BMS, Drexel, and BU are still taking apps I think? I am sure others are too

I think Georgetown is accepting applications until mid-May as well.

anyone else find it kinda fishy that i haven't even received my waitlist letter yet and that i had to call to confirm i was waitlisted? (not to mention the fact that EVERYONE seems to be in the *middle* of the waitlist) anyways....have a feeling my application was probably too late and they haven't even gotten to reviewing it yet.....so i guess automatic waitlist for everyone they haven't gotten to......:mad:

i hope they haven't gotten to some applications yet (but i have been complete since early march/late feb.)..... I really don't want to be in the middle... i really want to get in.....

i hope they haven't gotten to some applications yet (but i have been complete since early march/late feb.)..... I really don't want to be in the middle... i really want to get in.....

why would you want them not to have gotten to some applications yet? :confused:

why would you want them not to have gotten to some applications yet? :confused:

Probably because more people could be placed ahead of her since she is in the middle or the might offer outright acceptances which would decrease our chance. I hope we all get in..:luck:

i hope we all get in too...

Probably because more people could be placed ahead of her since she is in the middle or the might offer outright acceptances which would decrease our chance. I hope we all get in..:luck:

i'm so confused....hehe....but wouldn't it be beneficial if they had already reviewed ALL applications and *then* determined we were in the middle...:confused: b'cuz if they haven't reviewed them all yet...then things can either just stay the same (still one hundred something on the waitlist) or get worse.....b'cuz i'm pretty sure all offers (20 spots) have already been made......???
p.s. i hope we all get in too! :biglove:

i was just hoping that they have not review my file and said that i am in the middle (just b/c they wanted to stop calling them)... sorry... didn't mean to confuse you.... this process is stressful enough....

i'm so confused....hehe....but wouldn't it be beneficial if they had already reviewed ALL applications and *then* determined we were in the middle...:confused: b'cuz if they haven't reviewed them all yet...then things can either just stay the same (still one hundred something on the waitlist) or get worse.....b'cuz i'm pretty sure all offers (20 spots) have already been made......???
p.s. i hope we all get in too! :biglove:

Don't worry, am always confused :)

I wonder what we can do to show our dedication to the program?

i was just hoping that they have not review my file and said that i am in the middle (just b/c they wanted to stop calling them)... sorry... didn't mean to confuse you.... this process is stressful enough....

lol.......i totally agree with you......i wish that were true :D

Don't worry, am always confused :)

I wonder what we can do to show our dedication to the program?

haha i was wondering the exact same thing.....i know they were calling dr. meyers and toni last year......are they still in charge of the program this year? and if so does anyone have their numbers? :rolleyes:

lol.......i totally agree with you......i wish that were true :D

haha i was wondering the exact same thing.....i know they were calling dr. meyers and toni last year......are they still in charge of the program this year? and if so does anyone have their numbers? :rolleyes:

lol its 130 am here and here we are discussing not med school apps, but masters apps!!

I am not sure if Toni is still there, all I know of is Ms. Priest and Dr. Meyers. I wonder if we can call Dr. Meyers or email him? This program seems to be my top choice unless I get into ACP and find out that that program is better..

Anyone with any ideas/info on who we should call? Thanks!

I emailed Dr. Meyer after I received my waitlist letter and he basically just said that it was helpful to send in updates if you had them (spring grades, new volunteering, etc). That's about all he said, he didn't give any indication how much it would help. Also, from what he told me he seemed to indicate that your position on the waitlist was dictated in large part by your MCAT score (he told me he didn't have my file in front of him, but based on my score I was in x portion of the waitlist). He said that generally about half of the people drop off of the accepted list and an equal amount drop off of the waitlist anytime from May-July, so for what it's worth it does appear like there's movement, but then again what's happened in past years has nothing to do with what happens over the course of the next couple of months....

I received my waitlisted letter yesterday, called Nicole and found out that I am in the upper half of the waitlist..........................that's a hundred people.......not too happy about my chances anymore.

I received my waitlisted letter yesterday, called Nicole and found out that I am in the upper half of the waitlist..........................that's a hundred people.......not too happy about my chances anymore.

Hopefully it turns out ok. I am really nervous as well. Did Ms. Priest mention if the WL was actually 200 people?

Yes, she said they received 250 applications and have a waitlist of about 200.

Yes, she said they received 250 applications and have a waitlist of about 200.

Wow, 200 on a WL. I wonder how far it will move? I am assuming pretty far, a lot of people will get accepted to med schools and other masters programs.

do you mind sharing your stats king? :oops:

i think i've pestered the folks at the office enough times--could someone who hasn't called yet do so this coming week and try and squeeze out a more definite answer about our rankings on the waitlist? :)

does anyone know if we should still fill out our fafsa.....even if we haven't been accepted into an smp yet.....b'cuz IF i get off a waitlist :rolleyes: i'm gonna need all the loans i can get.....:scared:

also! is anyone gonna hold off on their amcas application for a bit.....jus in case we hear back on an SMP acceptance so we can add it to our application?

does anyone know if we should still fill out our fafsa.....even if we haven't been accepted into an smp yet.....b'cuz IF i get off a waitlist :rolleyes: i'm gonna need all the loans i can get.....:scared:

also! is anyone gonna hold off on their amcas application for a bit.....jus in case we hear back on an SMP acceptance so we can add it to our application?

yes, you should still fill out your fafsa. I included all the programs I applied to in the school section. as for the amcas application, the application period doesn't start until june so hopefully you'll have a better idea of where you'll be in terms of SMPs. I would keep working on it, submit it as early as possible and worst case, you can update schools on your acceptances...unless you weren't going to apply to med school this year if you didn't get into an SMP. then I would wait until you hear back to apply, but regardless, work on your application as if you are applying for sure in june so that you'll be prepared to do so. just my two cents.

Hello, this is my first post. I saw that there have been many people on here that have received a WL letter. I am curious did your letters come via FedEx like the acceptance letters, or did it come by USPS, also did you receive the letter at your normal residence or did it arrive at your parents houses. Thanks a lot good luck everyone.

Hello, this is my first post. I saw that there have been many people on here that have received a WL letter. I am curious did your letters come via FedEx like the acceptance letters, or did it come by USPS, also did you receive the letter at your normal residence or did it arrive at your parents houses. Thanks a lot good luck everyone.

i finally received my waitlist letter today......:( it was dated 4/23/07......
it came as regular snail mail and at my normal residence, but i think that is because i listed it as my permanent address......hope that helps.....
did you receive a fed-ex from them??? :) if you did....you are SO LUCKY!!! because i'm almost 100% sure it's an acceptance.....

Hey, yes that does help thank you. No, Unfortunately I did not receive a FedEx, actually I have not received anything. Although I did call and I was told that I was on the wait list and that I was in the top 1/3 whatever that means. Hopefully it will work out. Congratulations on getting on the wait list I hope we get to see each other there. Goodnight.

Ok I thought I would just throw this out there:
I was looking on the aamc site for postbacc programs and looked at what it has to say about the EVMS program. I noticed that it says "1-2 years, no thesis" and I felt I should comment on this. As a current Med Master having recently completed and turned in my thesis, I say that there is absolutely a thesis requirement for this program. Also, I have not seen, or heard anything about the possibility of a second year. So 1 yr with thesis req.

In a typical year how many people does the masters program accept from the wailist?

Ok I thought I would just throw this out there:
I was looking on the aamc site for postbacc programs and looked at what it has to say about the EVMS program. I noticed that it says "1-2 years, no thesis" and I felt I should comment on this. As a current Med Master having recently completed and turned in my thesis, I say that there is absolutely a thesis requirement for this program. Also, I have not seen, or heard anything about the possibility of a second year. So 1 yr with thesis req.

The two-year is an alternative lab research track which, incidentally, no one applies to.

The thesis you guys (or, those who are accepted) will have to do isn't so much an actual thesis as it is a really long research paper. Start on it now, gunners.

Bump, anyone have any updates? I am still pacing back and forth wondering about this waitlist.

Bump, anyone have any updates? I am still pacing back and forth wondering about this waitlist.

called yesterday and nicole said that i'm on the top half of the waitlist (~50-60 people) but that the waitlist is separated into groups which will be reviewed as a whole (i believe :confused: ) therefore, we will not be receiving numerical positions on the list......oh also....she said not to expect much waitlist movement until beginning to mid June......:(
not much good news but hope that helps~ :oops:

have any of the students currently enrolled in the program heard back from admissions?