Exactly HOW important is continued education after a bachelors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GreenMichigander

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't taken classes in two years, took one last semester, and am not taking anything this semester because I want to study for the DAT instead. Is this a bad idea?! I took the DAT in 2015 and got an 18... I definitely need to improve. I've forgotten a lot of material so I will be relearning a lot to master the material to do well. I will also be working full time and helping out at a local dental assisting school on Saturdays. I wont "just" be studying, but I won't be in school.
 
If you're studying for DAT and working, what else could they ask of you? You don't need to be endlessly wasting your time taking "filler courses" if that's what you're asking.
 
If you're studying for DAT and working, what else could they ask of you? You don't need to be endlessly wasting your time taking "filler courses" if that's what you're asking.
Unfortunately this is not the case for all schools, in fact, Texas A&M says on their website that you really won't be in consideration for a spot in their program if you are not continuously taking coursework.

Learning this the hard way right now, have 172 credits to my degree but didn't get an interview with them yet because I couldn't afford courses last semester. It's messed up but the head of admissions could care less at Texas A&M.

(Have interviewed with the other two Texas schools and they don't seem to care as much)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been out of school since 2015.

Texas A&M cares a lot as far as I know but I have not heard any other schools caring as much
You havent taken any extra classes? 2015 is when I graduated as well. I see you've have interviews... this makes me feel soooo much better!! I though it was a shot in the dark without attending school since then because of all these 1 year master courses and post-bacc programs that everyone goes to.
 
You havent taken any extra classes? 2015 is when I graduated as well. I see you've have interviews... this makes me feel soooo much better!! I though it was a shot in the dark without attending school since then because of all these 1 year master courses and post-bacc programs that everyone goes to.

People usually take these classes if their GPA was on the lower side and they need to make up for it, there's no need to do a masters/post-bac just to bridge a gap since you've been out of school (exception being specific schools like Texas A&M as mentioned above).
 
People usually take these classes if their GPA was on the lower side and they need to make up for it, there's no need to do a masters/post-bac just to bridge a gap since you've been out of school (exception being specific schools like Texas A&M as mentioned above).
I feel like my life has been a lie. Lol I was so worried about adding that extra curriculum but my GPA is totally fine. I just didn't want schools to think that I have been away from school too long. Time to work on the other factors of the application!
 
You havent taken any extra classes? 2015 is when I graduated as well. I see you've have interviews... this makes me feel soooo much better!! I though it was a shot in the dark without attending school since then because of all these 1 year master courses and post-bacc programs that everyone goes to.


Nothing since spring 2015, just assisting