Exam on Friday, any last minute tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gresh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any tips guys?

I plan on packing a light lunch, maybe 1-2 of those Starbucks Fraps between breaks and a bottle of water.

trust yourself!
if you feel like you're having a bad block, take a break when it's done. walk around a bit and clear your head and get your mind right before going back in and dominating the next section.
good luck!

Any tips guys?

I plan on packing a light lunch, maybe 1-2 of those Starbucks Fraps between breaks and a bottle of water.

Take a break after every 1-2 blocks. The 1 hour of break time is actually pretty long, and even when I took breaks after every two blocks (which I used to walk around outside the building or eat), I ended up with over 20 minutes of break time left.

The last thing you want is to start a consecutive block without a break then realize a few questions in that you're burning out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any tips guys?

Sugar is good. I was too nervous to do more than snack. Take a break after every block, there's definitely time. If you feel like you did badly, get it out of your system before going in. Stay hydrated. Bring some Tylenol/ ibuprofen. BREATHE. YOU CAN DO IT :)

Any tips guys?

I told myself that I would approach every question as its own fight. A fresh start every time I clicked 'next'. It helped me not worry about questions that I didn't know and kept me focused on the problem right in front of me.

Good luck op, mine's on Saturday :xf:Since we're supposed to skip the tutorial, how do you make sure the headphones in the center work? Also, has anyone tried doing the tutorial for for a minute or so (just to clear your head before starting the test)?

Don't consume anything your body's not used to. Test day is not the time to be trying out new things, especially when it comes to drinks.
Have a plan for your breaks and stick to it! My plan was 2/break/2/break/2/break/1. Even though my bladder was about to explode during the second 3rd and 4th blocks i powered through because i didn't want to throw myself off.
I ate something during every break. Your brain needs glucose to function so keep the gas tank full throughout the test.

Good luck op, mine's on Saturday :xf:Since we're supposed to skip the tutorial, how do you make sure the headphones in the center work? Also, has anyone tried doing the tutorial for for a minute or so (just to clear your head before starting the test)?

I did the tutorial and still had plenty of break time. It's worth while to ease your nerves/ test your equipment. At least for me there were some formatting surprises and I didn't know how breaks worked exactly. You can just skip the obvious pages.

OKdoc: it's computer-based, silly!

Excellent question...

1. Go through the tutorial at home before the test. You can download the program here: http://www.usmle.org/examinations/practice_materials.html. It only works on PC though.
2. You still have to click through the tutorial. My advice would be to skip through to the screen where you test the headphones. Make sure the headphones work and the volume is appropriate and then skip to the end of the tutorial. I ended up spending about 4 minutes on the tutorial ...mostly getting myself situated and testing my headphones.
3. I think this is standard for all sites, but I'm not sure: you will have two sets of headphones...one for audio and one for noise canceling...try them both out. I strongly recommend you use the noise canceling ones throughout. I only started using them toward the end and regretted not using them throughout

i brought earplugs and wore them throughout. i did flip through the tutorial quickly to the sound part, put the headphones on to make sure i could hear through the earplugs (i could) and then skipped to the end.

also, DO NOT FORGET YOUR ID AND YOUR TESTING PERMIT

I have my test on Friday as well. My last practice test was nbme 12. I got a 247....way over what I was expecting. I wanted an average or better score.

I have read first aid for most of the day today and im freaking a bit about random details....

Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
make sure to take the last day off dont study through it. itll make it so u arent too nervous to sleep. it happened to me and made my day much much harder

Sleep well the night before, and pack a good sandwich or two in addition to your current food plan. All the best !

I recommend a break after every block. It may be an idiosyncrasy of mine, but if I'm in a situation where I'm nervous to begin with, even the smallest amount of urine in my bladder can become a distraction. I NEVER calmed down during my exam. It was like I was being chased by a polar bear for a little over 6 hrs straight. I took a 10 minute break after every block, I took a 40 minute lunch, and when I left the testing center for good, I had over an hr of break time remaining--don't forget that any extra time after each block gets added to your total break time. I used the tutorial to write down equations that I figured I may be too nervous during the exam to recall. I also wrote down other things, like qiss and qiq until you're siq of sqs. Good luck!

I recommend a break after every block. It may be an idiosyncrasy of mine, but if I'm in a situation where I'm nervous to begin with, even the smallest amount of urine in my bladder can become a distraction. I NEVER calmed down during my exam. It was like I was being chased by a polar bear for a little over 6 hrs straight. I took a 10 minute break after every block, I took a 40 minute lunch, and when I left the testing center for good, I had over an hr of break time remaining--don't forget that any extra time after each block gets added to your total break time. I used the tutorial to write down equations that I figured I may be too nervous during the exam to recall. I also wrote down other things, like qiss and qiq until you're siq of sqs. Good luck!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::D This had me cracking up! That's exactly like me, normally I don't really need to use the urinate that much, but make me sit down and do a test and it's like every 10 minutes I need to use the bathroom, regardless of whether I drink anything or not. I definitely think I will take a break after every block.

make sure to take the last day off dont study through it. itll make it so u arent too nervous to sleep. it happened to me and made my day much much harder

i disagree with this ...i spent the day before making sure i had basic things memorized like the drugs with P450 interactions ...i also looked over FA pages i had flagged which i either felt weak in or had some things to memorize.

I used the tutorial to write down equations that I figured I may be too nervous during the exam to recall. I also wrote down other things, like qiss and qiq until you're siq of sqs. Good luck!

that is the absolute best/most useful mnemonic i've learned in med school so far

I know I was just trying to lighten the mood.:)

What if someone took your advice and the test center people thought it was some kind of SUPER SOPHISTICATED RECORDING DEVICE? I would actually not at all be surprised if this happened. They are pretty hardcore. I felt like I was working for the CIA or something.

Well...I just finished. Glad its over. Although, I am pissed i still have to take the comlex.

I took a break after every block. It is the best advice you can give to people during test day. I mean...if you think about when you take a nbme practice test...you usually take a five to ten minute break after a question block so why not do it on test day.

As far as the test goes...who knows. There were a lot of easy questions and hard questions...with everything in between.

Now im going to open my second beer.

Well...I just finished. Glad its over. Although, I am pissed i still have to take the comlex.

I took a break after every block. It is the best advice you can give to people during test day. I mean...if you think about when you take a nbme practice test...you usually take a five to ten minute break after a question block so why not do it on test day.

As far as the test goes...who knows. There were a lot of easy questions and hard questions...with everything in between.

Now im going to open my second beer.

You did great :)

what do you guys recommend eating during breaks? Also, at what point did you rely on some caffeine source to power through the rest of the test? thanks

What if someone took your advice and the test center people thought it was some kind of SUPER SOPHISTICATED RECORDING DEVICE? I would actually not at all be surprised if this happened. They are pretty hardcore. I felt like I was working for the CIA or something.

Then they can refer the people at the CIA testing center to the post where I suggest they bring a pencil to prove in defense of themselves that someone told them to bring a pencil to a computer exam.

::):

what do you guys recommend eating during breaks? Also, at what point did you rely on some caffeine source to power through the rest of the test? thanks

I ate Cliffbars and a sip of gatorade during breaks. The mint chocolate flavor has caffeine, so everytime you take a bite you get a little boost. I thought I would need to take a break after every block, but I was able to do two blocks in a row twice without feeling too tired. I wasn't very hungry either, but in the last 3 blocks I still had enough break time so ate the fruit from my lunch box (got a protein lunch box from Starbucks, which has a boiled egg, a roll, peanut butter, apples and grapes)

I was too nervous, more than snacks. To break after each block, there is a certain time. If you think you do well, so your system has to keep moisture in.. Bring some Tylenol / ibuprofen...