Exam Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fighter1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I took my organic 2 first exam with mass specs, ir, cnmr, hnmr. My professor made us draw the 5 cmpds (50 pts. on the test) by looking at these structures without giving molecular formula (he did give the percentages though).
Now, here is the problem. Without a calculator, these problems take forever (even though possible) because the percentages are not easy. You must do long division and all that. As a result, I couldn't finish. I had a graphing calculator and they didn't let me use it. It happened with a couple of other people as well. However, he NEVER told us in class that we cannot use these calculators, nor its mentioned in the syllabus. When I went to talk to him, he said he is sorry and he can't to anything. Should I appeal at a high level? Is there anything I can do? Really Confused.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't need a calculator to determine the the compound if given the proper information with ir, cnmr, hnmr, mass spec, etc. I don't think you should need/use a calc on a Orgo test...

I too can be rather in adept at math during exam situations. In my experience, 99% of the time if there is no calculator allowed on the exam, and you end up starting tricky long division, STOP. You likely have done something wrong. Usually professors design these questions with nice number which test your logic and reasoning skills not elementary mathematics.

The fact that it seems most of your class did fine kinda hints that this might be the case. It sucks you started out with a low score but you still have plenty of time to bring it up. This is not something to fight with your administration with. Pick your battles!

The best thing you can do is be ready for this type of problem the next time it comes around; take your licks and learn from it... that's part of the point of every exam until the final.

I doubt you'd have any luck with the administration. Trying to convince a dean or someone to micromanage a professor into allowing a calculator that stores text to be allowed on a chemistry exam is a little bit silly, in my opinion.

Not the end of the world. Just practice and hit a home run on the next one.