Examples of Ethics Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear or be directed to some examples of ethics questions. The most common one I've heard is "How would you deal with Patient X, who for some religious/cultural reason does not want to comply with your treatment suggestion?".

You don't need to give me your answers or even the schools that asked the questions. I just need some questions to think about so that I'm better prepared.

Also, would all the ethics questions generally be health related?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Not all are medicine related. You can get ones along these lines: "What would you do if you saw a classmate cheating on a test?"

Some medical ones:
-Who do you give an organ to? Patient A or Patient B
-You've accidentally given a lethal dose of meds to Patient A, B, and C. Which do you help first?
-If your best friend's 14 yr old daughter asks you for birth control, what do you do?
-What do you do if you smell alcohol on your attendings breath?
-What will you do if pills go missing from your dept. and you find them in a fellow students purse?

Thanks! These are great. It will give me some things to think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got asked this:

Let's say you have a child come in with some genetic disease. The only way to cure him would be to have the parents to concieve another child, use the umbilical cord to shut the sibling's embryonic stem cells into the original sick child. Now for this to work, the HA epitopes on the stem cells have to match those on the cells of the sick child. The couple will have to keep conceiving until they have a child with a match. It may take one baby, or even ten to save the original child's life.

What should you advise the parents to do?

I would like to hear or be directed to some examples of ethics questions. The most common one I've heard is "How would you deal with Patient X, who for some religious/cultural reason does not want to comply with your treatment suggestion?".

You don't need to give me your answers or even the schools that asked the questions. I just need some questions to think about so that I'm better prepared.

Also, would all the ethics questions generally be health related?

Thanks!!

The most popular ones involve reproductive health and minors. A 14 year old comes in because she is pregnant or needs an abortion, or has an STD, or wants birth control. She doesn't want you to tell her parents. Or a parent wants you to put his daughter on longterm birth control (Norplant) and the kid doesn't want it. And so on.

Where should we look for some resources to answer these types of questions

Where should we look for some resources to answer these types of questions

A good starting place is the American Medical Association's Policy Finder. Follow this link:
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/2498.html

Then click on "PolicyFinder." Check "Accept," and you'll come to a page where you can enter search terms. Search for your subject of interest to see a list of the AMA's statements on said issue.

Note, of course, that the AMA is a political organization and not a licensing board, disciplinary board, etc. Thus, you are entitled to disagree with its policies. However, if you're going to disagree, you'd best be ready to support your argument extremely well! Conversely, if you're going to agree with the AMA, you should still be able to support your argument, but you won't have to worry abut whether your answer will be considered "wrong."