Exceeding Word Limit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wood41

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let us just say that the word limit is 500, how many words can you exceed that by? Wasn't the college undergrad essay rule - by 10% --- so 550 words? or was it something else?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Or you can just follow the directions.

Nobody can tell you what's acceptable in terms of going over the word limit. There's most likely a difference of opinion between schools, and your best bet is to just obey the limits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let us just say that the word limit is 500, how many words can you exceed that by? Wasn't the college undergrad essay rule - by 10% --- so 550 words? or was it something else?

Thanks!

If the word limit is 500, I would write no more than 500.

Is he/she serious? I'm not even the type to reply this way on SDN, but what's the point of a word limit if it's not really the limit. Obey the directions like everyone else is trying to do. I always wondered why some apps threaten to not read it if it's more, I guess I know now.

If the word limit is stated as 500, it really means there is no word limit, and you should try to write as much as you can (your chance of getting into the school increases by 0.1% for each extra character you go over the limit).

People should have to pass a test of common sense to graduate high school.

If the word limit is stated as 500, it really means there is no word limit, and you should try to write as much as you can (your chance of getting into the school increases by 0.1% for each extra character you go over the limit).

Seriously, though, why would you try to stretch such a definite boundary? I think most schools put in a built-in limit into the online secondary that prevents you from submitting an essay that goes over the limit.

Seriously, though, why would you try to stretch such a definite boundary? I think most schools put in a built-in limit into the online secondary that prevents you from submitting an essay that goes over the limit.

In the OP's defense, not for "word" limits.

Thanks!

zero.

and just out of curiousity, how in the world did you come across such a "rule"??